6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 11:17 AM by Eric Poe

Origin does not exist

Eric Poe
      I went back and changed a bolt circle diameter within the hole wizard (edit feature of an existing set of holes), and upon approving the change and exiting from the hole wizard, I get a rebuild error. I go back and edit the feature again, and find that the coincident relation with the origin is dangling/unsolved. When I delete the relation and try to select the origin, Solidworks crashes and a couple of runtime error windows pop up. I then restarted solidworks, re-opened the part, deleted the two hole sets that had errors, then on the rebuild, the rest of the features get rebuild errors, all where they were referenced to the origin. Clicking on the origin in the feature tree on the left of the screen does not work, but if I click origins under the 'view' menu, it is visible in the sketch window, but I am still unable to select it.

Is this an issue with SP 3, or is there a simple solution that I am not aware of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: this is SW 2008 x64 Edition SP 3.0
        • Origin does not exist
          Charles Culp
          How did you select the Origin when you made your relations? If you do not select the origin from the feature manager tree, often what you are doing is constraining to another feature, that is also coincident with the hole.

Thus, in your case, it sounds like you created other components that were made coincedent with the centerpoint of the hole, not actually to the origin. The way to make sure this doesn't happen is to select the origin from the FMT.

As for why it causes SW to crash, I can't be of much help...
          • Origin does not exist
            Matt Lombard
            Eric,

This sounds like a corrupted part. The best bet for help is to send it to your reseller. It is likely the kind of thing that will wind up in you remodeling the part. I've had problems where the origin disappeared before, but its rare.

Best of luck.
            • Origin does not exist
              Eric Poe
              The first sketch was referenced to the origin, and it has a broken relation as well, so I'm sure it's the origin. I guess I'll just spend another hour or so re-modeling the part from scratch. Corrupt part seems like the most likely reason, as the part has the same issues for a co-worker as well. Thanks for the help.
              • Origin does not exist
                Eric Poe
                I had it happen again this morning on a different, new part. It happened when I re-opened the file when I needed to update a couple of dimensions after I had finished the part. As soon as I change the dimension and exit the sketch, I get the errors on rebuild. So I closed the part without saving and opened it again. Before doing anything I tried to select the origin in the feature manager tree and it will not select. I never had this type of problem before upgrading to SP 3.0, but I don't know enough to tell if it is a problem with the service pack or if it is just an unrelated issue.
                • Origin does not exist
                  Eric Poe
                  Unfortunately I cannot make the part design public. I have since drawn a couple of new parts without any issues, so maybe it was just a freak occurrence, my modeling technique, or just an error while saving.