AnsweredAssumed Answered

Animating Across Sub-assemblies

Question asked by Ron Benditt on Mar 1, 2008
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 by Ian Hogg
Is it possible to animate across sub-assemblies using Motion Study in SW2008? Here's what I mean:

I have a large assembly that contains lots of sub-assemblies, and each of these contain sub-assemblies. Its a huge model with over 4000 parts! I can't seem to move anything that is not on the top-most assembly level.

I even tried a simple example where I made a two part assembly. I was able to get one part to move with respect to the other part. Then I took this assembly and put it in another assembly. Then, in this new assembly I tried to animate the movement again and I couldn't get it to work until I dragged one of the parts from the subassembly to the highest level assembly in the parts tree.

If you can't animate across sub-assemblies in SW, then I'm going to have a LOT of work to do! I've tried dragging parts from subassemblies to the highest level in order to do the animation, but I've seen LOTS of constraint rebuild errors when doing this. Is there a simple way to make a flat assembly from one that has lots of subassemblies.

One thing that I'm somewhat concerned about is messing up my subassembly files by dragging parts out of them to the higher assembly level. Note that I'm only somewhat concerned, because I know that I can a always work using copies of the original files, but it just seems like there should be a better way.

Thanks,

Ron

Outcomes