3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2008 5:47 PM by Wayne Tiffany

Vault sizes

I was wondering if I could some ideas of how many files poeple have in their vault as to when the preformace might be affected.
        • Vault sizes
          Wayne Tiffany
          I don't know the file count, but our vault is approaching 400 gb. We have a lot of folders organized by job, which keeps the listing times down.
            • Vault sizes
              When you need to open a new assembly do you ever need to use parts from other folders? And if so do you need to set yur search paths in SW to look at all of those folders. Also I var gave us some program that says we have to cache all the files first before we can open, do you need this?
                • Vault sizes
                  Wayne Tiffany
                  Our company is project based rather than product based, which means that we don't have nearly as much cross talk between folders. Inside a particular job, yes, but between jobs, no - we try to avoid that so one job can't affect another job.

We have our library parts outside the vault for various reasons, but there are also reasons to put them in. There was a discussion here some time ago on that subject.

We don't set search paths because we don't want it finding other parts on other jobs with the same file name. If it can't find it in the same folder, and not in the library, then basically we point.

A far as getting local cache, you don't have to get it before opening the assy. But when it gets to a part that has no local cache, then you have to go point to it. So I usually just get the latest version of the stuff I know about before I open the assy just to avoid the hassle. But also with just about all the parts for an assy being in the same folder, it's a bit easier to get the latest of the whole folder.