82 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 6:44 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Autorecover is useless - please discuss

David Stone
      Why oh why does SolidWorks include an Autorecover option when invariably it does not work, or only gives autorecover data for just about every part except the one you changed before the program crashed??

Does anyone have any hints or tips on improving the reliability of this feature, or has it just been included as a secondary slap in the face in case the twelfth crash of the day hasn't pi55ed you off enough.
        • Autorecover is useless - please discuss
          I've run into this as well, and for some reason SW has been crashing A LOT lately.
            I've run into this as well, and for some reason SW has been crashing A LOT lately.
              I have all Auto-recover, Backup and Save notification options turned off. Ctrl+S works just fine and it doesn't decide to automatically save when I'm in the middle of something. It's not that difficult to train yourself to hit Ctrl+S after making any important change, and more then one time a change has gone somewhere I didn't want so I ended up dumping everything without saving and reloading the last saved file.
                  Joe Macy

Daniel Herr wrote:

I have all Auto-recover, Backup and Save notification options turned off. Ctrl+S works just fine and it doesn't decide to automatically save when I'm in the middle of something. It's not that difficult to train yourself to hit Ctrl+S after making any important change, and more then one time a change has gone somewhere I didn't want so I ended up dumping everything without saving and reloading the last saved file.

What happens when the software locks up while trying to save? That is usually what causes my crashes.
                      Just a side note. I've turned my AutoBackup and AutoRecover off and have noticed an improvement in performance and stability for obvious reasons. Especially in when working in large assemblies and drawings. Also as mentioned above, it never really worked anyhow.

I just use the "Save Pop-up window" and set it for 15 mins.

Paul.

Joe Macy wrote:

Daniel Herr wrote:

What happens when the software locks up while trying to save? That is usually what causes my crashes.

You would probably lose whatever you were trying to save, it's been a long time since that happened. I wait to hit Ctrl+S until SW is done thinking and has settled down.

Mike Tompkins
                      Hi David,

I have my Autorecover turned on, and set to every 5 changes. With these settings, my Autorecover works about 90% of the time. I had to experiment to get the right values for the Autorecover increment value. If the Time or Change increment is set to too large a value, you might miss the current doc you are working on. On the other hand you have to be aware that with low increment values, the autosave can interrupt your current work. It's a balancing act.....
                        Mark Nielsen
                        For me, autorecover seemed to work 75% of the time on SW08. Now it's a complete waste of time & energy on SW09. I had gotten used to a pretty stable SW2008, so my Ctrl-S is out of practice. I have to retrain myself. I've turned off autorecover & turned on the reminder. That seems to work better.
                          Garrett Brooks
                          I tried to use the autorecover back when I was using SW06, SW07 but almost never recovered anything worth using, either from my lack of knowledge of how to use it or it not working, and I have had it turned off ever since.

Like many of you I just save often or after major changes.
                          30 seconds to save the large assembly is better than spending an hour to redraw all of those incontext parts again.
                            Kelvin Lamport
                            The only times I needed the auto-recover function was when I was relying it.

I have not use the auto-save or auto-recover functions since SW2001+, and during that time have never really needed them. I consider any auto-recover to be a crutch for the lazy who expect the software to do the thinking for them. Having said that, SW should make sure that the auto-save and auto-recover works as they claim.

I have the SW reminder set for 10 minutes. I can't remember the last time I saw it while working. The home position of my left hand is such that two fingers cover the Ctrl and S buttons and they are used frequently.
                              Garrett Brooks
                              I knew an old engineer that claimed his drafting board never crashed.
                                What if the effort that was spent on auto-recover functionality was spent making Solidworks not crash?
                                  David Demaria
                                  Overall, I've found that the very rare occasions I have crashed without saving work has cost me less time and heartache re-modelling than screwing around with the inherent problems of the autosave function. As seems to be the gerenal hint of this topic, just create the habit of saving your work regularly as you go.
                                    Joe Dunfee
                                    Similar issues here. Most of the time, autorecover is useless. Autosave is mostly useless as well. Autosave is a very simple feature, why does this confound SW so much?

I will mention one issue that confused me for a while. If you have autorecover on, and then save the part, the autorecover file is deleted. It makes sense, but caused me to think that autorecover wasn't working when it was.

I also have 10 levels of backup copies set. As I save a drawing, theoretically the prior saved version is still there as a backup. I have used this feature to allow me to "undo" operations -provided I saved right before I did the edit. Undo is another one of those features that often don't work.

Joe Dunfee

Joe Dunfee
                                      Joe Dunfee
                                      I had taken a Wildfire class with a desire to run away from bugs, thinking that an old-school program like Pro-Engineer would be more stable. Boy was I wrong! Inventor, Pro-Engineer, and SolidWorks are all prone to crashing. It just depends on if you are lucky enough to be doing designs on a particular workstation that somehow avoids them.
                                        Joe Dunfee
                                        OK, one more complaint that makes autorecover useless. The file name shown is truncated so that in our naming convention, the filename only shows the job #. It is not possible to discern which file is which. An open-all choice is the only viable one. In my most recent event, this causes SW to crash.... apparently one of the files is a problem.

Joe Dunfee
                                            Jerry Steiger
                                            Joe,

I'm surprised that no one else has commented no the way that you can't read long file names, no matter how much you stretch out the pane. I brought this up to our VAR not long ago and it seemed to be news to him.

As long as I've poked my nose in the thread, I also find autorecover to be problematic and usually run with it turned off.
                                                Brad Shutes

Jerry Steiger wrote:

Joe,

I'm surprised that no one else has commented no the way that you can't read long file names, no matter how much you stretch out the pane. I brought this up to our VAR not long ago and it seemed to be news to him.

As long as I've poked my nose in the thread, I also find autorecover to be problematic and usually run with it turned off.

Me too. This has been a bug that, frankly, astonishes me. Here we are at 2009 SP3 and it is STILL there. SOmetimes I wonder if they even look at their screens when they are doing QC on their own software.
                                              David Paulson
                                              Autorecover seems to work better for me in SW2009 than it ever has in the past. But most of my crashes are in Flow and could very well be caused by my own stupid input values??

But manually saving can be very time consuming if you rebuild as the dialog box prompts you prior to save. On a large part or assembly it could be 2-3 minutes for every save. Or do you REALLY to re-build prior to every save???
                                                  Jeff Hamilton
                                                  I have never seen an Autosave that actually worked, and that includes Autocad.
                                                      Jeff Hamilton
                                                      I take that back. I once saw a guy open an Autocad drawing, erase parts of several views in preparation of saving it as another file (which he should have done first), then get called away from his desk for a while.
                                                      THEN the autosave worked and saved the erased version overtop of the good origional.

Jeff Hamilton wrote:

I take that back. I once saw a guy open an Autocad drawing, erase parts of several views in preparation of saving it as another file (which he should have done first), then get called away from his desk for a while.

THEN the autosave worked and saved the erased version overtop of the good origional.

Back when we were an AutoCAD (Mechanical Doorstop) shop, autosave worked quite well. There are a couple of things to understand, though. It only saves as often as you tell it to. That means that whatever happens between saves is lost on a crash (which happened all the time). That also means that if you do something bad to your file or it gets corrupted as you're working (which happened all the time) and then autosave runs, you've got a bad or corrupted autosave file. Other than that, it worked flawlessly. By the way, we stopped upgrading in 2000 because of all the other problems with Acad/MDT, so perhaps they broke autosave in the later versions.
                                                              John Summers
                                                              I have actually used it quite successfully in the past (depending upon SW version/SP whether it worked or not). On very large projects, I would work in SW on one monitor with explorer opened on the other showing the autosave directory. I would refrain from saving to save time (due to the 5-10 minutes it would take to save my files). I would watch the autosave directory to make sure it was working- if I crashed, I would restore my parts using the autosave files and would be back up and running quickly.

One more thing to note- we work across a network for collaboration reasons- this is probably why it takes so long to save the files. The autosave would only freeze my computer for a few seconds to back up my files on my local computer but the save function would take minutes across the network.
                                                                  I like many above had a problem with SW crashing upon saving the file, this unfortunately was upon completion of a drawing and did not involve regular saving before the event.

The usual AutoRecover message appeared, SW opened again but not with the recovered file as promised.

I was able to find where the AutoRecover files were kept and open this drawing. It was missing one or two of the last dimensions but is pretty much all there.

If it helps anyone this was the directory on my PC that had the AutoRecover files in: C:\Documents and Settings\DavidS\Local Settings\TempSWBackupDirectory\swxauto

Obviously the username 'DavidS' will be unique to each computer.

Regards
                                                                  David
                                                          David Demaria
                                                          Dave, save yourself some heartache and turn off any SW autosave option. Save your work regularly and NEVER rely on SW to offer any sort of safetynet for the innevitable crashes that will occur from time to time.

Never once have I ever managed to recover a crashed part, assembly or drawing file. For all it's good points, SW cannot be relied upon in this respect.
                                                              Anna Wood
                                                              I agree with David DeMaria.

I have autorecover and backup turned off. I save early and often. I have never lost more then about 15 minutes of work on a crash. This is with any CAD software I have used during the last 20 years.

Cheers,
                                                                  John Summers
                                                                  Like other SW functionallity, I don't think there is a universal answer to this problem. Unlike many others here, we deal with huge parts >100 meg and small assemblies. So... when it takes 10 minutes to save a file across the network, saving every 15 minutes is not a viable solution for us (saving locally or upgrading our network is not an option at this time either). It is always a balance between time to save files and getting work done.

If it works, use it- if not, discover a work-around that works for your needs. I do find it frustrating to see features like AutoRecover work only about 1/2 of the time- what's the use in including features that aren't reliable or useable?
                                                                      Matt McKendrick
                                                                      That is exactly my feeling as well. You can't save every 5 minutes if it takes another 5 minutes to save. I have never had autorecover recover changes that occurred after the last save. I have developed a "six-sense" about Solidworks and when it crashes most frequently. I try to save before attempting any complex feature, analysis and after completing any tedious features such as a loft with multiple guide curves, or a var-fillet with a long string of edges.

Just my 2-cents worth.
                                                                    • Re: Autorecover is useless - please discuss
                                                                      Duncan Gillis

Simple, yet very very effective! follow the same method.

Its always easier the second time around......in theory
                                                                      Tim O'Shea

"Saving this autorecovered document will replace the original file." OK

"Failed to save document." OK

This is first time I have used autorecover in years, in fact I used to have it switched off.

Don't think I'll bother next time.

Interestingly, I saved as, then saved as over the original. This worked fine. Isn't this what autorecover is supposed to do?

Its not like it was difficult to do.

Xu Dong

is there any parameter needed to set ?

Tim O'Shea

No, I just saved it with a different name. Didn't even save as copy. Then saved the new file over the original.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi All,

Please note that we have made auto-recover simpler and more reliable in SolidWorks 2012. Please see the following help topic for details:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/WhatsNew/c_autosave.htm

I would highly recommend that individuals that would like to use it but stopped in previous releases give it another try. SolidWorks 2012 Pre-Release is currently available to subscription customers in the customer portal.

Thanks,

Jim

Carmelo Rioflorido

Recovery is SO easy. First time I tried recovering a couple of files and it's like a breeze.

Just go to the recovery folder which you have chosen during setup. Find the file to be recovered and right click on it. Select "Rename". Once the file is hightlighted for rename, remove the last 3 extension letters and the 'dot' before them.

Go back to SolidWorks and open the recovered file. Good luck, folks.

Chris Mueller

Hi Jim,

What has been improved?  We have been working with 2012 for awhile now, and no one has been able to get auto-recover to work reliably.

I tested autorecover by editing a single part, not saving, waiting, and then killing the solidworks process.  I noticed that a recovery file was generated in the auto-recover directory, but when solidworks started again, the auto recovery folder did not show up in the task pane.  I admit, that killing the task is quite aggressive, but we rarely experience "controlled crashes" with Solidworks, since Enterprise PDM is many times to blame.

I am turning it off now in our next installation.

It would be nice if this function worked reliably and consistently; it is indeed a great idea.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Chris,

Strange, I just tested the same exact thing and it worked perfectly. I tested both SolidWorks 2012 SP02 and SP05. To test it, I set my Auto-recover setting to 1 minute. I opened the auto-recover folder and made sure it was empty to start, and then put it next to the SolidWorks window so I could watch it and wait for the file to appear when the system saved it. I then killed the process through task manager and then restarted SolidWorks and the Task Pane opened to the SolidWorks Recovery tab offering to recover the file.

Are others still having trouble with Auto-recover?

Thanks,

Jim

Chris Mueller

Hi jim, we have sp05 installed.  I did the exact same procedure as you, exept that my wait time was five minutes.  The file gets created, but the reddish colored folder does not show up in the task pane when Solidworks gets re-started.  I have tried this with two different autorecover directories, but get the same results. 

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Chris,

Can you go to Tools, Options, System Options, Assemblies and under Large Assemblies, see if "Do not save auto-recover info" is checked in the Large assemblies section? I've found a problem where this option sometimes causes the auto-recover tab not to pop up in the Task Pane (regardless of whether you are working on assemblies or not). It is not supposed to affect the appearance of that tab at all. It is only supposed to affect whether or not auto-recovery files are saved for large assemblies. If it is checked, can you uncheck it and test again and report the result?

Thanks,
                                                                                                    Jim

Bill Stadler

Yes.

1. We do not always see the auto recover file when we open SW back up. Maybe a training issue I need to address(User are not aware that they can go out and find it.)
                                                                                                    2. Many times when our users open a auto recover file it will let them work with the file but when it comes to saving it they get "Failed to save Document")
                                                                                                    3. When opening a auto recovered assembly if the user had sub parts open as well the assembly will sometimes be pointing at the auto recover parts and if the user saves the auto recover assembly and does not notice the auto recover parts it is referencing it can casue issues.  Only have seen this a couple of times and only a couplel of users.

I often wonder if having the SolidWorks Enterprise PDM addin in SW has anything t do with it.

SW2012 SP5

SWEPDM SP4

WIN7

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback.

On issue #1, can you go to Tools, Options, System Options, Assemblies and under Large Assemblies, see if "Do not save auto-recover info" is checked in the Large assemblies section? I've found a problem where this option sometimes causes the auto-recover tab not to pop up in the Task Pane (regardless of whether you are working on assemblies or not). It is not supposed to affect the appearance of that tab at all. It is only supposed to affect whether or not auto-recovery files are saved for large assemblies.

I saw issue #2 when I was testing this. I find this happens if I have a new part open that has never been saved, it gets saved by auto-recover and then I kill the session. Then when I open SolidWorks up, it offers the recovery option, I open the file, and if I hit save, it says the auto-recover file will overwrite the original (but there is no original since I never saved it) and if I hit OK, it gives Failed to Save Document. I need to use Save As to give it a name and location and then it saves OK. Could it be the case that the file(s) this happens on for you are files that have never been saved?

On issue #3, please keep an eye on it and let me know if you find a reproducible cause.

Thanks,

Jim

Bill Stadler

Hi Jim,

You hit the nail on the head with  "Do not save auto-recover info"!!!  Not sure if this was off by default or if I turned it off before creating the image.  Now I will need to do some testing to see how long the Auto-recover on an assembly that has 1,000 to 8,000 components takes. 

#2 I can not say for sure if they are new parts or not but I can say that we have tried the SAVE AS and get the same "Failed to save document".

#3 I will keep an eye out but like I said this has only been reported two or three times since we went to SW2012 back in Dec of 2011.

Thanks for pointing out the Large Assembly mode setting.

Bill

Bill Stadler

oops.  I looked at the setting wrong.  The is "Don't Save"  and it is unchecked.  But I did go look at auto-recover setting and we have it set to 30 every 30 minutes.  Maybe the users are crashing before 30 minutes is up....

I am not sure if I reduce that time what kind of impact on performance we would see with users working with assemblies with thousands of components.  Guess I could set one off them to every 5 minutes to see.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi All,

Please note that issue #1, regarding the auto-recover panel not showing up when "Do not save auto-recover info" is checked in Tools, Options, System Options, Assemblies and under Large Assemblies was fixed in 2013 SP05 and later.

Thanks,

Jim

Vinoth Kumar N.

Hi Solidworker!

Blunder Mistakes Done:

1.      Auto-recovery folder was not set properly.
                                                                                                              2. Auto Backup was not enabled.

Problem Faced:

1. Power gone
                                                                                                              2. SW crash
                                                                                                              3. After power came, Drawing file icon changed to default drawing thumbnail.
                                                                                                              4. And when tried to open its say "unable to open the file and contact the technical support"

Conclusion:

Help us to recover the Crashed Drawing file.

Jim Wilkinson

Dave Bear

Hi Vinoth Kumar N.

Vinoth Kumar N. wrote:

Hi Solidworker!

Blunder Mistakes Done:

1. Auto-recovery folder was not set properly.

Problem Faced:

1. Power gone
                                                                                                                  2. SW crash
                                                                                                                  4. And when tried to open its say "unable to open the file and contact the technical support"

Conclusion:

Jim Wilkinson

I'm sorry but I doubt very much that you will have anything to actually recover due to those settings. Jim may know better though.

Dave.

Jim Wilkinson

Vinoth Kumar N. wrote:

Hi Solidworker!

Blunder Mistakes Done:

1. Auto-recovery folder was not set properly.

Problem Faced:

1. Power gone
                                                                                                                    2. SW crash

Conclusion:

Jim Wilkinson

HI Vinoth,

If you don't have any backups, as the message says, you need to contact technical support to see if the file is recoverable. The forums is not officially technical support, but intended primarily for users helping other users. In most cases, technical support means your VAR (the reseller organization from whom you bought the software).

In general, you should always have backups of your data files, especially if you work in an environment where you lose power. I would suggest not only using the Auto Backup functionality in SOLIDWORKS but also backups at the OS level made on a regular timed basis of all your data files, SOLIDWORKS and other.

Thanks,

Jim

Joe Kuzich

I have only tried to use autorecover about 1/2 doz. or so times and not once was it worth anything so I ignore it now, as do the other guys in our office that I am aware of.  I opt. instead (as many have said here) to save often.  The problem is (as many have said here) saving is often the cause of the crash.  Some times the crash really screws up the file and it has trouble opening right.  So once assemblies or drawings are on the larger side (those are the ones that tend to crash more) I do saveas's and cycle through a few similar names.  Usually projectname, projectnameWTF, projectnameWTF2.  Most the time I only lose 10-15 min. but if one is too trashed I only lose 1/2 a day rather than starting over.

I will also say that very often when it locks up saving (or doing most other commands), I have noticed that if the little blue windows circle is spinning it will often finish doing what ever it is it's doing and work.  I just have to let it sit and do it's thing.  Anywhere from a couple minutes to overnight.  Yes I said overnight.  More than once I have chanced not saving because it takes so long to save that I had to go find something else to do (that allowed me to keep my fingers crossed) while I waited.

Reading this discussion though I think I will go in and find where to turn it off and see if that helps the speed/crash issues a little.  Every little bit helps.

I had excellent luck with the AutoCAD version but they are such different software's I'm not sure its fair to compare the two.  It is such second nature to Ctrl+S as I work in AutoCAD I haven't had to recover in a long time.  I have actually had students ask me why I saved it when I didn't even realize I had.

Christopher Estelow

I've had no luck what so ever with the Auto-revocer feature as well.  I learned to save often by force....My CAD teacher in technical school back in the late 90's had a switch on the wall that controlled the power to all the computers.  The first day of class he said to save and save often and explained that if he flipped that switch you would lose everything.  Every once in a while he would flip the switch off un-announced and if you didn't save often you would lose everything.  It was a little harsh and pissed a lot of the students off but it worked!!!  The IT department didn't like him too much either but someone liked the idea because htey wired the switch in.

Chris

Rich Turner

Hello Jim

I have this morning encountered a problem with auto-recover

friday afternoon I had a crash. On restarting solidworks the auto-recover tab appeared and I reopened the part I had been working on.

I continued to use this part making further modifications and 10minutes later or so I went to save.

On thinking back I realise that the normal prompt to save over the top of the original file did not appear. The part just saved with the autorecovery prefix I was in a hurry so I carried on working and saving and went home.

Monday morning I click on the recent document link of the part only to find that the part has disapeared.

Rather than saving the part in the "Local Settings\TempSWBackupDirectory\swxauto" folder, solidworks had created a sub folder called autorecover in swxauto. Now both the folder and the part no longer exist.

Rich

SW 2013 x64 sp3

win 7

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Rich,

I can't say what might have happened there. Please keep your eye on it and I would suggest reporting it to your reseller if it happens again.

Thanks,
                                                                                                                Jim

Joseph Weaver

This just happened to me yesterday. Major crash no backup or auto recovery. Checked my options all were correctly checked for the auto save and recovery which is correctly pointing to a C drive directory created for this. Lost 2 hours of work and was using SW 2014 SP2.0. I had numerous crashes in 2013 but the recovery worked in that version. I think SW needs to look into this because I have noticed it on other versions as well (not 2013).

Mark, I went to users directory and searched down thru c:/users/'my name"/app data/local/ SolidWorks & Temp but didn't find anything.

Regards,

Joe

Mark Biasotti

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this rather long post but if SW does not prompt you to auto recover or files are not available thru the task pane, then when opening your last file in SW navigate to c:/users/<your user name>/apps/local/Solidworks temp files (or something to that affect) and type *.* In you open file input line and then look for your file with appended with .swrar (I think) and just rename it to .SLDPRT or .SLDASM. Always compare the date of this file with the one you last legitimately saved. I find that sometimes SW does not prompt this file on relaunch but you manually have to go and find it and rename the extension type.

Regards

Mark

Chris Mueller

I tested this function in our beta install of SW2014, and am sorry to report, still useless.  How many years have gone by without this function working properly?  This thread orignated in 2008, with Donald Swartz mentioning that it hasn't worked since 2006.  So 8 years and counting...  I'm gonna get some T-shirts printed up for the 10 year anniversary.  "Autorecover.  Celebrating 10 years of uselessness" 

Andrew Miller

SW2014 SP 5.0 reporting in. Totally useless.

This issue has become a joke.

Brian Titus

SW2014 SP 5.0. I agree that it's MOSTLY useless.

Wouldn't it be simpler to have SolidWorks add an "AutoSave" feature rather than autorecover/backup copy?

Chris Oxford

I have my settings to auto save every 4 minutes, keeping 4 copies. I had an assembly open, working on 3 parts, editing in context (one at a time, all 3 open separately so I could do some non-context edits as well). I save all files all the time, more often that every 4 minutes (habit: 2 edits, ctrlq 4 times, save 4 times).

So today, had a real power outage, 30 seconds, whole grid down. Restart, go back to my files, and they have reverted to before last night's save, no files show any edits today, when I have about 25 or 30 saves this morning alone.  Not a single backup copy of any of the files I had open after 3:33 yesterday. Even those backups of assemblies have old versions of sub-components.

Totally dumbfounded. How could SW undo work I saved?

Chris Saller

Our auto recover works well. It's all in the settings and how to use it.

I have all of our users setup, no issues.

I'm not clear why most here say it's "useless".

Andrew Miller

Ugh, I forgot how much I hated this feature until just tonight. I was using SW2012 SP3 at home and it crashed when building a simple feature (shocking, I know). No prob, I'll just check my auto-recover folder. And of course it was completely empty. I had the file open for hours and no information was saved. Staggering incompetence, even for an older version.

Andrew Miller

Here's another one in SW2015 SP5.0.

I have it set to remove backups older than 7 days, yet my backup folder has 2GB of files dating back months and months.

Dassault gets the big things wrong, the little things wrong, and everything in between wrong. Is there a single competent employee at that company?

Andrew Miller

SW2015 SP 5.0 Autorecover story of the day:

Hours into a part that I haven't saved yet (shame on me, right?). Of course SW crashes (fill patterns are hard!), and then I have a vague recollection that SW autosave doesn't work on parts that were never saved. Checked my folder and yep! no backups. Checked the settings and yep! no warning or way to change behavior.

Then I tried to recover the other files I had open and it hung and crashed. Rebooted and had the same experience.

I can't wait until we begin migration away from the heaping pile of dogshit that is SW.

Bill Stadler

Auto Recover is sill  a hit and a miss for us inSW2014 SP5.  Sometimes there is one sometimes not.  Sometimes we can save it sometimes we can't.  This has been an issue as long as I can recall.

Because our users are worried about getting multiple designs released it is very difficult for them to recall what steps they took or what dialogs popped up and how did they answer them.  I will most likely be turning the option off when we go to 2016 for all but a dozen or so users to see if it is more reliable.  If not we will have to rely on save often with backups turned on.

I wish I could give more detail to help diagnose but that is all I have.

Chris Oxford

Thanks for the reminder. I've had auto recover off for months now, and I lose less stuff, due to my better save habits.

I had a bad habit of hitting refresh, then save, think I'm good right? I didn't wait for the refresh to complete, and SW does not stack the save command, so it never happened. Started paying more attention to the not saved asterisk (after the file name on window), have not lost more than one or two edits in a month. At first I still lost stuff, but quickly learned to save more and better.

Auto save is false security, so many variables have to be just right to work. Our IT prescribes certain network settings, and we have yet to figure out a combination for SW that always works.