16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 9:24 PM by John Burrill

Drawing notes

Carrie Ives
      Do you put the list of notes for the drawing on the drawing sheet or in the drawing format? (These are not view specific notes, but rather notes that cover the whole drawing, such as "Use minimum bend relief", "Install hardware per...", etc.) I have trouble with the notes attaching themselves to views and moving around, but if I put them on the format, then it is more of a pain to edit them. Which is the better solution and why?

Thanks,
      Carrie
        • Drawing notes
          Drew H
          Could you put them in the format and then link them to a custom properties?
            • Drawing notes
              Mark Kaiser
              You can keep your notes on the drawing sheet and have them lock to the sheet, or in other words, keep them unlinked to all drawing views, the notes will stay where you put them! To do this, either double click in blank space not in a drawing view, or RMB and select 'lock sheet focus', this will lock the sheet focus, and then you can add your notes without them locking to a view. Just remember to unlock the sheet focus (in the same manner) after you're done adding your notes.

Another option is to add the notes before you have any views on your drawing, this will lock them to the sheet focus also.
            • Drawing notes
              Neal Rusy
              Carrie the way I do it here is if the note does not change from drawing to drawing I put it on the sheet format. If it does change then I put it in per drawing. Usually what I do for is I have a library of notes in a saved word doc so I don't have to keep typing them from scratch then just paste them into the text box in SW on the Drawing works out great for me
              • Drawing notes
                Eddie Cyganik

Carrie,

I think you've answered your own question. Keep your notes on the "sheet format". To edit them only takes a RMB "Edit sheet Format".

This is what we do. I think it is the easiest way to keep them out of the way.
                  • Drawing notes
                    Mark Kaiser
                    Granted I belong to a small company with only 2 people doing CAD work, but we always keep out notes on the sheet with the drawing views. Why go to the extra (I know it's only one click) RMB to edit notes when they can be right there on the sheet? Isn't it convient to be able to see the note you're editing and the drawing view it pertains to at the same time? To me it's more of an advantage to keep the ntoes on the sheet, not the sheet format. If you can't handle keeping the notes locked to the sheet focus so they don't wander with the views, than maybe the sheet format is where one should put their notes.
                      • Drawing notes
                        Eddie Cyganik

Mark,

Where Carrie refers to; "Do you put the list of notes...", I'm assuming she is talking about "General Notes". In this case we keep them separate. on the seet format.

As far as FOD (Field of Drawing) Notes, then yes, they reference or are applied to a view, therefore they are on the sheet, attached to their corresponding view.
                          • Drawing notes
                            Mark Kaiser
                            I'd never (or don't remember) heard of field of drawing and general notes. I don't differentiate between the two, I assume the general notes are ones that would be on multiple drawings of the same type of part/asm. We don't standardize that much where I work.
                              • Drawing notes
                                Neal Rusy
                                Notes that are a "given" something that is common to all our part drawings like for me debur all sharp edges that goes on almost all and several others those go on our sheet format. less common notes like treatment or specialty stamping or part # bag and label or such is our "FOD Field of Drawing" then on those I have on a Word Doc so I can cut and paste them so they are the same from drawing to drawing and I don't have to retype them
                                  • Drawing notes
                                    Anna Wood

Neal Rusy wrote:

Notes that are a "given" something that is common to all our part drawings like for me debur all sharp edges that goes on almost all and several others those go on our sheet format. less common notes like treatment or specialty stamping or part # bag and label or such is our "FOD Field of Drawing" then on those I have on a Word Doc so I can cut and paste them so they are the same from drawing to drawing and I don't have to retype them

Neal,

You can save your notes in your Design Library. Then it is a matter of dragging them to your drawing. No need to cut and paste out of Word.

I have a whole library of common notes that get added to our drawings in our Design Library. We keep our notes on the drawing sheet, not the format. We create so many different drawings, for a wide variety of products, so it is more efficient to keep them in the Design Library and drag into the drawings as needed, either linked to a view or as a general note linked to the drawing sheet.

Cheers,

• Drawing notes
                                    Keith McDonald
                                    Field of drawing notes are more often refered to as "Local Notes" that apply to a specific feature or view.

My rule is to always lock view format when adding notes, revision bubbles etcetera to a particular view and to always lock sheet format when adding revision blocks, revision bubbles next to general notes or parts lists. That way if you need to move a view only the proper items move with it.
                                    • Drawing notes
                                      Eddie Cyganik

Mark,

I agree, we all work on differnt products, follow various standards (or not) and we mainly do what others around us do.

We utilize:
                                      General Notes: Those that refer to the drawing as a whole. Usually numbered and located together in a corner on a drawing.
                                      FOD Notes: Those attached to and referring to something particular, such as ponting to a specific surface, feature, etc. Example: INDICATED SURFACE TO BE MASKED PRIOR TO ANODIZE. Of course, in this case, the surface could be pointed to using a "Flag Note".
                              • Drawing notes
                                Charles Culp
                                Carrie,

I'm going to go against the grain here, I dislike putting notes on the sheet format. I put notes on the sheet.

More importantly, to answer your problem of the notes attaching themselves to views. Click on the notes, and CTRL-X to cut them. Then click off of the view on the sheet (you are switching to "sheet focus" for more information read on "sheet focus" in the Solidworks help). You can then CTRL-V to paste them on the sheet. They should then not be attached to any views.
                                • Drawing notes
                                  I've place the "standard" notes into the sheet format. We build generator tanks and enclosures, and since they have different "standard notes" I've also created drawing files for both to select from when initially starting my drawings. Basically instead of A size...B size... it's Tank....Enclosure.
                                  • Drawing notes
                                    John Burrill
                                    Carrie, for practical reasons, we put our notes on the sheet. All of our prints are on letter-size paper so we're constantly having to shift, resize and tweak the notes to fit them in with the graphics. What I wouldn't give for an E-size plotter.
                                    John