4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2008 1:33 PM by Adrian Ivanescu

2008 top down and pdmwe

Adrian Ivanescu
      If I'm working with a top-down concept inside an assembly I cannot use a model with a serial number created from the administration tool because PDMWE doesn't intercept the "Insert new part" event.
      What does it mean ? Is the PDMWE the end of top down projects ?
        • 2008 top down and pdmwe
          Joy Garon
          Adrian -

Can you be more specific (step-by-step example) of what you are trying to do?
          Are you creating a new part in the context of the assembly or are you inserting an existing part into the assembly?

Joy
              Adrian Ivanescu
              Yes, I'm creating a new part into the assembly . So I cannot get the advantage of the auto Serial number / Model / File name creation because the program doen't ask me what is model what I want to use.
              Adrian
                  Joy Garon
                  Adrian -

I just looked at this - you are correct. If you are using Insert Component > New Part, the new 2008 behaviour is that the part is created internal to the assembly.
                  Please submit a SolidWorks enhancement request so that a serial number is generated when you externalize the part.

Workaround: Open the internal part and do a Save As... this will allow the automatic serail number generation to occur.

Joy
                      Adrian Ivanescu
                      the problem is that the "Save As" doesn't start my PDMWE template that contains my code generation algorithm. My PDMWE new part template has a template created inside of Administration tool that it's using some dynamics lists with some variables from Card Editor.

Thanks again