10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2008 1:28 PM by Mike Puckett

Thumbnail In Explorer

Mike Puckett
      In SW2008 running on Vista, why is the option to disable thumbnails in Windows Explorer greyed out?

See attachment
        • Thumbnail In Explorer
          Anna Wood
          Yes, I would like to know that also..... Although I do like the big thumbnail pictures that Vista is capable of providing. Just do not need them all the time.

Cheers,
            • Thumbnail In Explorer
              Mike Puckett

Anna Wood wrote:

Yes, I would like to know that also..... Although I do like the big thumbnail pictures that Vista is capable of providing. Just do not need them all the time.

Cheers,

I'm just wondering what the reason behind it is so I can pass it along to others. I'm hoping one of the Solidworks folks will chime in and give us a hint?

• Thumbnail In Explorer
                  Jim Wilkinson
                  Hi Mike and Anna,

In Vista, the open/save dialogs are basically the same as the Windows Explorer view and have similar functionality. There is no way for SolidWorks to add its own independent preview window to the open dialog in Vista due to the way that Microsoft has implemented the open/save dialogs (we could do a lot more customization of it in XP). However, Vista itself provides a preview mechanism for this dialog (for any Explorer window for that matter). When the dialog is up, go to Organize>Layout>Preview Pane to turn on the preview window. For the preview functionality to work, we must use the standard preview storage in the file enabled by the "Show thumbnail graphics in Windows Explorer" so on Vista, we force it to be enabled without a user choice.

Thanks,
                  Jim
              • Thumbnail In Explorer
                Adam Gamler
                How can you turn off the thumbnails in Vista, so that the icons are displayed instead of the thumbnails.
                  • Thumbnail In Explorer
                    Jim Wilkinson

Adam Gamler wrote:

How can you turn off the thumbnails in Vista, so that the icons are displayed instead of the thumbnails.

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately, in SolidWorks 2008 SP04 and earlier, you cannot. We have enabled the ability to change this option in SolidWorks 2008 SP05 (which is not released yet but will be in the relatively near future).

Thanks,
                    Jim
                      • Thumbnail In Explorer
                        Mike Puckett
                        Ok Jim, I have to ask the question:

What changed from when you initially replied to this post on 2/14/08? It seems as if back then it was impossible, but in SP 5.0 it will be possible?

Just playing devils advocate!

Thanks for your time.
                          • Thumbnail In Explorer
                            Jim Wilkinson

Mike Puckett wrote:

What changed from when you initially replied to this post on 2/14/08? It seems as if back then it was impossible, but in SP 5.0 it will be possible?

Hi Mike,

We did some more research and we found that the information in my initial posting wasn't 100% accurate. The preview information is still there even without this option turned on and you get a mixture of icons and previews depending on what level of detail you set your file view on in Vista. So, we simply took out the block disabling the option to be changed. It may have been that the early versions of Vista beta that we were using to initially develop our Vista compatible version did not support it and the support was added later without us being aware.

Thanks,
                            Jim
                              • Thumbnail In Explorer
                                Mike Puckett
                                Jim,

Thanks for the clairification, and also thanks for keeping this issue in mind enough to go back and revist it, and then fix it. Its funny how the little features can mean so much to us users.
                                  • Thumbnail In Explorer
                                    Mike Puckett
                                    Jim,

Here is another wierd situation for you to ponder. In the attachment below you can see I am using SW 2008 SP 4.0, yet in the Windows Explorer, you can see the icons are shown, and not thumbnails. In the options box, the show thumbnails box is checked, and greyed out still.

I had SW2009 Beta 3 installed on this machine, so I'm not sure if that affects it or not. Anyhow, not a complaint, just an observation that will just throw a wrench into the middle of everything!