AnsweredAssumed Answered

Terrible Drawing Performance

Question asked by Whit Smith on Feb 8, 2008
Latest reply on Mar 23, 2008 by John Lhuillier
When working with drawings I am having problems with the performance. It mainly happens when I zoom in close to a line or a string of text. The screen jerks really bad and it takes soo looong to zoom and pan. If I try to edit any text while I'm zoomed in it takes forever to add or edit it. I can type a line of text about ten letters long and about 3-5 seconds later it will show up on screen. The same goes with selecting lines and moving them around while zoomed in close. I have searched for just about everything that I could do to speed up the performance. Auto save is off, add ins are off, performance and display settings are set to as fast as possible. I have also checked the video card setting and set that to the SW configuration, still having the same problem. It only happens in the drawing side of SW, parts and assemblies I have no problems with. I have been here for about 4 months and since the start the IT guys have been trying to fix this problem along with constant crashing, well the crashing is fixed kinda but the performance problem seems to have no end. The parts that I work on are small assemblies and drawings. The drawing I am working on now is just a 2d with no 3D associated with it. The largest assembly I have done is no more than 100 parts and the file size is 6,974KB. Regardless of the size the problem is constant.

My computer specs are as follows:

SW 2008 Sp2.0
XP SP2
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
3.07GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
ATI FireGL V7100 on dual monitors

On a side note I was running on a system with dual processors that had a little more Ghz than the pentium but I still had that problem so we switched to see if that would help. It didnt. There is another machine here with the same specs as me and his SW is running fine. They are set up identical as far as settings go also.

One MAJOR thing is that I have NO administrative rights on this system, I had to get permission this morning to just change the configuration on my video card.

Sorry for such a long post but I am in desperate need of help and I figured yall needed the whole story.

Outcomes