98 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 10:01 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Enhancement Requests

Steve Calvert
      I guess the topic summary is directed towards those within Solidworks who might be able to answer or give insite.

I would like to have a forum here that deals with Enhancement Requests. It is mainly an idea center were users could voice an idea and others would react on it. Basically, it would become a virtual whiteboard for brainstorming new ideas. WE are the users and most of the ideas for the enhancements that SW puts into the new releases comes from us.

OK, since I started this most of you are going to expect me to come up with an idea to start things off, here it goes:

In another major CAD software package I had the ability to enter text as well as numbers into the dialog box when sketching or creating a feature. This saves me time because I did this all on the fly. I have already submitted this request but feel that if others understood what I was after, they, too, would be interested in having this function. Let me give an example: In plastic part design you want to adhere to certain guidlines that are based on past part design and industry standards. For instance, take a 4" by 8" retangle with 1" depth now you shell this to .125". Most people understand that I now will want to make a relation or link that .125 shell feature value to "wall". Moving on in the design, my next feature might be some ribs. I sketch some lines to represent the ribs and the do a rib feature. At this point I'd like to enter in the dialog box .6wall which means I want to create a rib that will be 60% of the wall thickness. I don't have to link or make any relations it does all that on the fly.

This is a very short description (ok long one) on how one might use this technique. I would use it everything I did, from Plastic Part Design, Casting Design and Sheet Metal Design.

Regards,

Steve
        • Enhancement Requests
          Devon Sowell
          Hi Steve-

Great idea and great E.R.

I would also like to see a "link" in this forum directly to the E.R. page; look to the left, right there in the "Quick Links" pane.
            • Enhancement Requests
              Steve Calvert
              I'm pretty sure I started this topic in the "General" forum and now it's been moved to the "Assemblies" forum.

Did I do something wrong?

Steve
                • Enhancement Requests
                  Steve

Good topic. One thing I would like added, is schematic functionality. I am sure I am not alone in the fact that I do alot of schematic drawings and find SW to be lacking. Currently we use separate software to do these.

My enhancement would be 3 fold:
                  1. Increase functionality of this in SW. I know you can create blocks and connect them to lines, but this is as smart are AutoCAD. The software we currently use keeps a relationship between the component and the connections, so when you move the component around, it drags the line with it and it knows which line to jump and which are connected. As simple as this sounds, it save an incredible amount of time.
                  2. Add the ability to link components to a block or symbol. This way you could add a part to an assembly, have an option to create a schematic, and as you insert parts into the assembly model, a schematic is inserting the symbols into a separate, but linked sheet. You would still have to arrange the symbols on the page for a drawing, and initially link a symbol to the part as you but they would be tied together.
                  3. Maybe as part of the routing package, create a line from one component to the next as you insert the wire, or tube route.

I know that many users wouldn't need this, and so it could be part of an add-on but having this ability would keep everything linked (the way things should be).

I was going to put in an ER for this anyway but does anyone have anything to add?

Lorne
                    • Enhancement Requests
                      Doug Heikamp
                      I would also like the ability to add custom properties to a block, so we can generate a bom

Lorne Henderson wrote:

Steve

Good topic. One thing I would like added, is schematic functionality. I am sure I am not alone in the fact that I do alot of schematic drawings and find SW to be lacking. Currently we use separate software to do these.

My enhancement would be 3 fold:

1. Increase functionality of this in SW. I know you can create blocks and connect them to lines, but this is as smart are AutoCAD. The software we currently use keeps a relationship between the component and the connections, so when you move the component around, it drags the line with it and it knows which line to jump and which are connected. As simple as this sounds, it save an incredible amount of time.

2. Add the ability to link components to a block or symbol. This way you could add a part to an assembly, have an option to create a schematic, and as you insert parts into the assembly model, a schematic is inserting the symbols into a separate, but linked sheet. You would still have to arrange the symbols on the page for a drawing, and initially link a symbol to the part as you but they would be tied together.

3. Maybe as part of the routing package, create a line from one component to the next as you insert the wire, or tube route.

I know that many users wouldn't need this, and so it could be part of an add-on but having this ability would keep everything linked (the way things should be).

I was going to put in an ER for this anyway but does anyone have anything to add?

Lorne

• Enhancement Requests
                      Greg Jankowski
                      Steve,

Don know how it would have gotten moved. Would you like to moved back to the General section? It would make more sense.

This is a great idea by the way...
                  • Enhancement Requests
                    Steve, great idea, I've often wished the E.R. process was a little more open. When I think of an E.R. idea I've often wondered if I'm the only one to think of it, or if I'm missing another easy way to work around the problem. Also, some of the changes in SW2008 , I'd like to know what kind of E.R. request they were getting so I can put in some minus votes .

I had not thought of your idea, but thinking about it now, if there was a way to work with equations directly in the dimension dialog box I could see that being very usefull.
                      • Enhancement Requests
                        Steve Calvert
                        The other major CAD package I was talking about allows me to enter relations on the fly. For instance, as I stated in my example, I created a shell feature and then linked that dimension to a relation called "wall". I really should be able to just type in wall=.125 at the original shell dialog box.

Steve

BTW, does anybody know why this topic got moved to the "Assmeblies" forum?
                          • Enhancement Requests
                            Holly Xie
                            trying to make assymbly of about 90 deg circle stairway around a big storage tank. Tank OD = 60' stair 26" wide. I am able to do Component Pattern--> Circle Pattern. I am able to make the steps around the tank but they are all on one level. I might have not found right command yet or SW does not have the ability. if any one know how to do it please let me know.

I tried to attach what I did but it did not success I do not know how to attach file yet. I will figure it out.

Thanks

Holly Xie
                            • Enhancement Requests
                              Eddie Cyganik
                              Steve,

I also agree that this would be a great catagory. There are many times where people describe what they'd like yet it is usually explained in a specific way. If others are given the opportunity to think about a request before it becomes an "official" ER, the chances are they will come up with variations and related functionality. So I guess what I'm saying is if there is more input, there will be a better chance that an enhancement will be implemented fully, instead of half-baked.

I also like your enhanement. When you consider that Equations, Linked Values & Global Variable are in place already, then it seems your enhancement would be the next logical step/improvement.
                                • Enhancement Requests
                                  Steve Calvert
                                  Greg, not sure how it got here but I think we both agree that it belongs back in the 'General' forum.

Greg, I often think of myself as a good 'Brainstormer' because I love setting in a room full of knowledable people and throw ideas at a whiteboard. I have never been invited to attend one of the SW users sessions before at a SWW event but this is what I would think is going on, for the most part.

OK, if others like the idea of an Enhancement Forum: Where do we go from here (now that all other children are growin' up- sorry couldn't resist using an Alan Parson's song lyric)? Who can make a forum addition? Do I need to talk to my friend Richard Doyle?

Eddie, thanks and I agree that this is the next logical step...

Steve

• Enhancement Requests
                                      Greg Jankowski
                                      This is a good idea and we are looking into how to improve this.

We will share information as soon as we can...

Please post ideas, suggestions (i.e., voting, ties to SRs and SPRs, etc.).
                                        • Enhancement Requests

Greg Jankowski wrote:

This is a good idea and we are looking into how to improve this.

We will share information as soon as we can...

Please post ideas, suggestions (i.e., voting, ties to SRs and SPRs, etc.).

Grant

Any progress on this? I really think that an ER forum is an excelent idea.

I think that it would be beneficial to be able to link the thread to the ER page. This way if there was posative feedback on the ER thread, someone could place the ER and add the link the the thread (kind of like how you mark the answer). Then if someone else wanted to vote for the same ER they could just click the link and it would take them directly to the ER page already started. This would help reduce duplicate ER's and make it much easier to find an existing ER.

Lorne
                                    • Enhancement Requests
                                      Mark Matthews

Steve Calvert wrote:

The other major CAD package I was talking about allows me to enter relations on the fly. For instance, as I stated in my example, I created a shell feature and then linked that dimension to a relation called "wall". I really should be able to just type in wall=.125 at the original shell dialog box.

Yes, I too would like to see this enhancement that I currently enjoy using in that "other" major CAD package.

• Enhancement Requests
                                          Christine Bickenbach
                                          I would like to be able to make swept cuts, composite curves, project curves, and helix and spirals in the assembly levels...

I ran into some problems when I was moving our parts from ProE to SW.

We have parts that get assembled, than go back for reworks. I would like to model the parts and assemblies as they are made, since we need drawings, BOM's and design tables for all steps of the way.

Creating configurations in the lower assembly parts is not doable becuase I have to work aroud getting all my tables to show up correctly. I do not want to make my tables manually.

Also something as simple as a helical cut... impossible at the assembly level? I have parts that get welded together and than become knurled. Usually I would use appearance and just show the knurl, but since going to 2008, I am unable to make any appearance change in the assembly level.
                                          So, I thought I'd create a real knurl... well, no luck on that either becuase I can not make a the helical cut...

Kind of frustrated right now....
                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                          Mark Olsen
                                          I used to use that "Other" CAD package. When I switched to SW, I really missed that feature. Creating variables on the fly is very quick and powerful. To borrow a line from Matt, it's even better than crinkly paper backgrounds.
                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                              I think this is a good idea. I also agree with doing something for schematics. I am also going to a secondary CAD package to do our electrical drawings.

My ER is on the sheet metal side. Soildworks does not properly relieve corners. I talked about this in a thread over on the sheet metal board but never got around to putting in an ER. Currently we alter our flats when we bring them over to our nesting software. It is very time consuming though. It would be nice to have the flat generated correctly.
                                        • Enhancement Request - Patterned Offset
                                          Gerald Davis
                                          Steve -
                                          Your idea of having an ER topic in the SW Discussion Forum is terrific!

This is an ER that came up at our recent user group meeting: Patterned offsets

The attached image shows a simple application - making a target ring. You'd be able to select any sketch element (or chain of elements) and set the direction.

As with a linear pattern, the pattern could be edited to allow all of the offset dimensions to be changed simulatenously (yes, using current functionality one could link all of the offset dimensions, but that's focusing on the CAD, not the design).

You'd even have the option of including or omitting the offset pattern feature's dimension.

If you're in the contour map bidnis you could offset splines and then drag them around to create topographic sections. The next trick is to automatically assign a plane to each loop.
                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                            Paul Lemke
                                            Christine have you tried using composite parts? Parts made of other parts. I have found sometimes it gets rid of problems on weldments. "Insert" ... "Part" while in a part. They even have mate settings and you can weld and fillet.... The Bom comes up on the drawing with only the parent parts description.

I would love an enhanced forum like Steve has described for ERs and I would also like chat rooms by industry. There is not that many Aerospace designers in Denver but if I had a place to chat online that would be great.
                                              • Enhancement Requests
                                                Christine Bickenbach
                                                Paul,

Yes, I have considered doing this, but I do not get a BOM table when I go this route.
                                                I need the assembly BOM with the welded parts and than showing the cuts to the assembly in the drawing.

I did some searching and someone suggested in another post to join parts. I am trying this right now but again having problems when it goes to the BOM. I am seeing now all three parts (two parts in the assembly and the one joined part), which is fine, becuase I can earse the line with the join part. My problem is going to make the ballons, no matter where I put the ballon I only get the ballon number for that one join part which I would like to delete the row in the table.. anyone know how I can get past this dead end?

• Enhancement Requests
                                                    Christine Bickenbach
                                                    Ok, second problem I am having when using join part in my assembly.

The tip and tube both have configuration of sizes. So assembly config assembly-01 is made up of tip-01 and tube-01 and so on...

When I made the join part, both the tip and tube were corresponding to each other -01 to -01. When I opened the join part I noticed that tip-05 was with tube-02. I can not find out where I can change this...

Does anyone know where I can change the configuration in my joined part?

• Enhancement Requests
                                                        Eddie Cyganik

Christine,

I know you can use various methods (weldment, insert part, the join command, multibody parts, etc.) to model what you want but as you are finding, some methods that solve certain problems actually create other ones.

We use the basics to deal with the issues you are facing.

Using Part & Assembly Configurations & naming conventions we are able to:
                                                        -> Create parts as they are manufactured.
                                                        -> Assemble parts as they are assembled.
                                                        -> Modify parts (using all the functions of part feature capability) to show how they would be further machined at the assembly level.

It really is all technique but we have namining conventions & procedures that keep everyone on the same page and it works out quite well for us.

Take a look at the attaced word document (win-zipped) to see if this makes sense to you.

HTH
                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                            Devon Sowell
                                                            Hello Eddie-

That document is contains valuable information, thanks for sharing.
                                                              • Enhancement Requests
                                                                Eddie Cyganik

Thanks Devon,

We have quite a few cases where we perform some type of assembly operations that just cannot be done with the current set of assembly features. I would love it if SolidWorks would extend the part feature capabilities into assemblies. We are smart enough to determine what can actually be machined, formed or whatever, we just need to mimic the real world.

In the attachment is another example of As Manufactured verses As Assembled. In this case I used multibody & deform features and it is all controlled at the part level.
                                                                  • Enhancement Requests
                                                                    Devon Sowell
                                                                    Hello Eddie-

Another nice example, thanks.
                                                                      • Enhancement Requests
                                                                        martijn de vries
                                                                        I noticed a very little workdomain in SW2008. It is limited to 500x500 meters. For most mechanical engineering that is enough space to play around. But I`m making mechanical parts in civil construction that go way beyond it`s 500 meter limit.
                                                                        I know in assembly mode you can connect parts that go beyond 500 meters. I`m working on a tunnel that is 3300 meters long. It mates well and performance is excellent. It`s only not possible to place a part or sub-assembly at coordinates, because SW gives a warning "please enter a number between 0 and 500". So many parts I have to place manually, which will never be exact. Placing camera`s and lights is never going to work fine, because SW cannot remember coordinates that doesn`t "exist" The only option for mating well is locking a part when it has been placed. But you cannot lock a camera or a light appearantly.
                                                                        I am wondering if this limitation had been done on purpose or that it is something in the software.

Greetings from the Netherlands.
                                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                                            Anna Wood
                                                                            The SW workspace is limited to a 1000 meter cube (500 meters in all directions from the origin). This is nothing new to SW2008 and it is the same in all versions of SW.

Cheers,

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                                martijn de vries

Anna Wood wrote:

The SW workspace is limited to a 1000 meter cube (500 meters in all directions from the origin). This is nothing new to SW2008 and it is the same in all versions of SW.

Cheers,

That doesn`t sound like an enhancement to me. Every CAD programm is limited to some workspace but SW appears to be extremely small.
                                                                                  • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                    Rob Jensen
                                                                                    This isn't a ER. It's more of a statement...

The one thing I don't understand is this.
                                                                                    When functionality from a prevous release is "enhanced" and suppose to be better, faster, or whatever and other users complain about it. The only thing you can do is put a enhancement request and see if it gets changed. This isn't really a ER, because the funtionality was there and should be able to be changed back fairly easy (but i'm not a programmer)

I think there needs to be another form for these types of requests. I don't want anything "enhanced" i want to back to the way it was.
                                                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                                                              Jeff Hamilton
                                                                              Thanks Devon,

We have quite a few cases where we perform some type of assembly operations that just cannot be done with the current set of assembly features. I would love it if SolidWorks would extend the part feature capabilities into assemblies. We are smart enough to determine what can actually be machined, formed or whatever, we just need to mimic the real world.

I agree with Eddie. This is something we've needed for a long time.

One small thing I would like to see if the addition of REF and TYP in the dimension tolerance type along size of MAX and MIN. We use those several times on almost every drawing/ It would be a big time saver. (I know I can add it to a favorite, but sometimes that removes my diameter or radius symbol, etc.)
                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                  Eddie Cyganik

Jeff,

The terms "REF" & "TYP" are old lingo. Per ASME standards, "Reference" is denoted by parenthesis, example: (.375) and "TYP" is denoted by the actual number of times something occurs, example: 4X Ø .500.

Because they are per the ASME or ANSI standard, I think SolidWorks will shy away from these types of requests.

Having said this, I still think SolidWorks needs to provide for those who deviate from the standards. This can only be done by providing access to all kinds of menus allowing choices to be made by the user.
                                                                                    • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                      Shawn Applegate

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Jeff,

The terms "REF" & "TYP" are old lingo. Per ASME standards, "Reference" is denoted by parenthesis, example: (.375) and "TYP" is denoted by the actual number of times something occurs, example: 4X Ø .500.

Because they are per the ASME or ANSI standard, I think SolidWorks will shy away from these types of requests.

Having said this, I still think SolidWorks needs to provide for those who deviate from the standards. This can only be done by providing access to all kinds of menus allowing choices to be made by the user.

I agree with you on the reference function. However, we still use TYP in some instances. We make charted drawings, where the amount of instances changes. Therefore, for something like hole spacing, we would say TYP.
                                                                      • Enhancement Requests
                                                                        Andrew Grove
                                                                        Steve,

I am just getting back to SW after 4 years in the Inventor trenches. I was looking through the forum topics for exactly what you suggested, excellent idea. I think that it would benefit the whole SW community to see the enhancement requests of other users.

Here goes.... how about the ability to create a counterbored tapped hole with hole wizard, and this feature to be complete with cosmetic thread option.

Thank you,

Andrew Grove
                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                          Rezwan Husain
                                                                          Somewhat in line with Steve's original post, it would be really nice to be able to have 1 dimension reference another dimension with a simple click - you know, like some "other" packages do it.

For those that don't know, here's how it works:

Draw a rectangle around the origin point. Put a length and width dimension on it. Now to locate the rectangle relatvie to the origin point, put a dimension from the origin to one of the sides, then simply click your size dimension (the length or width dimensions, as appropriate) and enter /2 and hit enter (where "/2" means divided by 2).

I haven't figured out how to do this in SW yet, but I haven't really had a pressing need to (when I start doing "real" work I'll sort through the help file for what I can find).

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                              Tony Hayes
                                                                              I have an idea for a enhancement request.
                                                                              I design injection molds so I use the pipetap under hole wizard. I would like to be able to show both ends of a through pipetap threaded. Now just one side is shawn as taped, so to show both sides as taped I have been adding a second hole concentric to the other just to show it as threaded.

Thanks Tony
                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                  Steve Calvert
                                                                                  Rezwan, I think what you really want can be accomplished by creating the rectangle and then doing a diagonal centerline and then constrain that line to the origin point with the midpoint of that line.

Steve

Or Just use the center rectangle tool in SW2008 or later.
                                                                                    • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                      Rezwan Husain
                                                                                      Steve - thanks for the post. I agree that will work just fine, but when I go to a drawing and I want to have a center line established, I'll need the dimensions shown as I describe them in my original post. I'd prefer to just grab them from the model rather than add them at the drawing stage.

I did learn (yesterday) how to perform the "calculation" of getting the center by dividing the overall by 2 and it isn't as bad as I originally thought - more clicking than the "other" program, but not ridiculous...

I had a boss that told me a story once about using single letter shortcut keys in AutoCAD 2D drafting. He had an employee that liked three letter shortcuts. They argued (in a sort of friendly way) about this for weeks. Finally the boss came in with a stopwatch and they agreed to do a test. The boss says "Ok, type your three letter shortcut and I'll time you." So the guy bangs it out and the boss comes up with some really short time. Then the boss says "Ok, now type one letter."

Thanks again for the post (Oh, and the login name is the previous employee...)

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                                    Michael Tombino
                                                                                    Rezwan,

You can have a dimension reference another and do what you want, see my attached file. When you insert the "half dim." you simply hit the down arrow next to the dim. and choose "add equation", then pick the 1.200 dim. and add "/2" or any other equation you need.
                                                                                      • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                        Michael Tombino
                                                                                        my ER is

"TO STRETCH A SKETCH AND HAVE DIMENSIONS CHANGE"
                                                                                        In "other" packages you can stretch geometry and the dimensions will update, I would like to see this added so I can for example stretch a surface in a sketch by .060 (maybe with a window around the surfaces to change)and have all the other sketch dim's coming from that surface automatically update. Now I would have to change each dim. by .060 individually"
                                                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                            Don Vanzile

Michael, looks like you got your wish... I think this is an enhancement in 2009.

Don
                                                                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                              Jason Stats

Michael Tombino wrote:

my ER is

"TO STRETCH A SKETCH AND HAVE DIMENSIONS CHANGE"

In "other" packages you can stretch geometry and the dimensions will update, I would like to see this added so I can for example stretch a surface in a sketch by .060 (maybe with a window around the surfaces to change)and have all the other sketch dim's coming from that surface automatically update. Now I would have to change each dim. by .060 individually"

Michael, SW has been able to "stretch a sketch and have dimensions change" for years. I never use it, but if you go to Tools>Options>System Options>Sketch and select "Override dimensions on Drag/Move", you will be able to drag sketch entities and the dimensions will update accordingly. I think this is what you are looking for.

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                                          Mahir Abrahim
                                                                                          Although I try to use the actual instance count whenever possible, I still use TYP for fillets/rounds that might occur umpteen times in a particular part. Sometimes it's clearer to say R.50 TYP than 19X R.50.
                                                                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                              Eddie Cyganik
                                                                                              Mahir,

Not to "split hairs" but; "How is Typical clearer than 19X?"

To put it another way; "How many edges get filleted when a callout says typical?"
                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                  Mahir Abrahim
                                                                                                  Eddie,

Like I said, for the most part I use the instance count method. However, I've modeled molded or rapid prototype parts that have multiple blended rounds that converge and diverge multiple times on every external or internal edge. In those cases, it's more robust and clear in my opinion to use TYP since that indicates you want all your rounds the same radius, regardless of how many actually exist. Also, since one has to count these rounds manually, an actual instance count is almost useless in such a case. The vendor is not going to count all 19 rounds unless there is a reason. That being said, what's the difference between listing say 18 or 20 instead of 19? Nobody's going to count them anyway. If there were 19 rounds and you listed 18, your drawing would technically be underdimensioned. TYP, however, would hold true regardless of number, and it would also carry forward the intent more clearly. Standards are great. They exist for a reason. However, it's difficult to say that a method cited by a standard will be the best path in every single instance imaginable.
                                                                                              • Enhancement Request - Isolate while editing
                                                                                                Gerald Davis
                                                                                                While editing a part from within an assembly, I frequently wish I had isolated a different set of components.

As far as I know, the only way to do this in SW08 / SW07 is to exit the part edit (return to the assembly) and change the set of parts being shown, then return to editing the part.

I'd rather select a set of parts in the FM and isolate without exiting/entering the part edit. Of course, the part being edited would be a component in the visible isolated set.
                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                  Kelvin Lamport
                                                                                                  True ... but you can still use the Hide Show functions.

The Isolate function is one of the better enhancements. Having it available (post-Edit mode) would be an improvement.
                                                                                                    • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                      Mauricio Martinez-Saez
                                                                                                      Here is a "Hard" one....

I believe that a good Enhancement will be to provide good Help content or to provide user manuals that realy explain all the fuctionality to the users. Not to keep "knowledge" behind a curtain and use it as a tool to sell "training" curses which in the mayority of cases are given by people that never design anything more complex that the sample on the tutorial.

Over a long time I have noticed that a lot of the enhancements request are for things that the software already is capable to do. A lot of people ask for new funtionality just because they have not "discovered" yet how the same thing can be done with the software the way it is now. Even on this section you can see some of those cases.

It happen that after doing some thing with the software for over two years, one of our engineers aks the local dealer how to do that same thing with the software... and to our surprise, the local VAR indicate that such functionality was not available and that recomend we do an ER.... Nice... very nice... in fact we experience this more that one time... I have no doubts that there will be VAR's with excellent knowledge of the product and the functionality (in fact I know a couple outside our geographical area), but unfortunatelly in our area that is not the case (perhaps this can be a 2dn ER... better training to VAR's in our part of the world, so they can realy understand what we are doing and provide some valid support)

So here is my first ER >>>> Better product documentation, then once we realy know all that the software can do and can not do, we can ask for real enhancements... but first we will like to see some old bugs fixed... so the present fucntionality works, before we get new one (and a new set of bugs).
                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                          Mauricio Martinez-Saez
                                                                                                          I forgot....

Here is a real ER we want....

A "rebuild" process able to perform a "complete" rebuild of a large 100% top-down model having mirrored parts (reversed geometry parts), without the need to manually open the mirror and primary part on his hown window and perform a Control-Q on it and them save and close the parts (one after the other and on the right secuence), and without the need to press the "rebuild icon" several times and then execute a Control-Q another multiple times at at the end the need to save the model and reopen it "full resolved" in order for the software to rebuild the entire assembly without showing errors....

In short... a "rebuild" process that works... but i do not know if this is a ER or a need to fix a deficinecy of the code and process of an existing functionality.

By the way if a true "Complete Rebuild" process require a lot of time to execute then it can be placed as "new funtionality" under the name of "Super Rebuild" or something else that SW Marketing can sale to present AutoCAD users.... but that will be nice for us, poor present users of SW that we don't have the money to buy more software since we expended on SW and in paying the support subscription (however one of this days we will need to purchase some more seats... so please pay some attention to us also)

If this is not implemented before December we will put this in our letter to Santa.... and since we are extremelly good boys and work a lot during the entire year (doing semi-manual rebuilds... and suffering some other bugs with extremely good patience) Santa will bring this to us :-) (my grandma can not be wrong)
                                                                                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                              Van Stokes
                                                                                                              * The equation system needs to be revamped.
                                                                                                              More importantly, external links in the equations; do not require the parent item be resolved to solve the equation (especially if there have been no changes to the item or the parent item(s) ).

* Ditto the rebuild - Just do it. Don't think for me.

* Parts/Assemblies properties linked to their drawings.
                                                                                                              It's ridiculous how it's done now - having to maintain most of the information manually. Updating the part/assembly properties should automatically propagate do the drawing the next time the drawing is accessed.

* Upgrading/Patching - A *REAL* patching system. This 3.5GB D/L is asinine.

* Multi-monitor support - no, REAL multi monitor support. I should be able view a separate item on each of my monitors independently or; view a single item with each monitor having a different view.

* On-Line Internet license manager ability.
                                                                                                              I want to run my SW from anywhere in the world. Your current license "restricting it to the country you purchased it in" - is very old school and is blind to how the real world works.

* Eliminate the auto dimensioning system in drawings.
                                                                                                              That feature is about as useful as a dead rat. It just shits useless dimensions all over the place that mean absolutely nothing to someone in the shop. How parts are drawn/dimensioned in SW is not how they are built in a shop.

* Mate more than two similar entities.
                                                                                                              In other words, if I have three of the same item and I want to mate the TOP PLANE COINCIDENT then I should be able to select ALL the TOP PLANEs from all three items. The result is ONE mate vs TWO mates (Three if including the TOP PLANE from the assembly itself).

* Leave .NET and return to C/C++ - biggest mistake you made was moving to it. Memory/Resource management is very poor in .NET. It's a lazy-mans programming language and you pay a steep price for being lazy.

* Move the toolbox back to the top menu like it use to be. Having to turn ON the TASK PANE to access the Toolbox really burns me.

* Remove the TASK PANE. Worthless and in the way. Takes up valuable real estate (yes, even in COLLAPSED mode).

* This is a CAD package - not photoshop.
                                                                                                              Remove all that photo/scene/real-view stuff. Let the user use/purchase PhotoWorks if they want pretty pictures.

* Include cosmos in all SW packages and get rid of the CosmosWorks.
                                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                  Van

As far as you're ER for:
                                                                                                                  "* Mate more than two similar entities.
                                                                                                                  In other words, if I have three of the same item and I want to mate the TOP PLANE COINCIDENT then I should be able to select ALL the TOP PLANEs from all three items. The result is ONE mate vs TWO mates (Three if including the TOP PLANE from the assembly itself). "

Do you mean the multi-mate option?
                                                                                                                  • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                    martijn de vries

Van Stokes wrote:

* This is a CAD package - not photoshop.

Remove all that photo/scene/real-view stuff. Let the user use/purchase PhotoWorks if they want pretty pictures.

Maybe in your CAD environment. The big advantage in SW above al other CAD programs is the ability to create photorealistic drawings. That is why we use it!

Van Stokes wrote:

* Include cosmos in all SW packages and get rid of the CosmosWorks.

If Photoworks must be removed, then CW must be removed too. Why? Because I don`t use it!
                                                                                                                      • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                        Mauricio Martinez-Saez
                                                                                                                        The ONLY reason we use and "suffer" SW is because it is fully integrated with COSMOS, we use COSMOSM even before SW know about their existance... we use COSMOS ADVANCED PROFESSIONAL (all modules). So if the the Enhancement is to eliminate COSMOS we better get another CAD.
                                                                                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                            Steve Calvert
                                                                                                                            OK, here's another Enhancement Request I have submitted.  I was hoping, Greg, to have a forum by now to posts these kinds of request on, but I'm sure you're working on it...<br /><br />I'd like to have the instance count of components added in an assembly show me the actual number being used NOT all that have been added.  Right now, the <carrots> show the total number added to an assembly starting at <1> and continuing to however many you have added.  IF you remove some from the assembly the count doesn't update.  I'd like it to.<br /><br />Steve
                                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                          Kelvin Lamport

Van Stokes wrote:

* Remove the TASK PANE. Worthless and in the way. Takes up valuable real estate (yes, even in COLLAPSED mode).

The Task Pane can be de-activated by de-selecting the option in the View dropdown menu.
                                                                                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                            Svetlana Antiperovitch

Van
                                                                                                                            Don't like it too. use Ctrl+F1 to hide it.
                                                                                                                            1. Task pane used in routing module to drop parts into route. There is no other way for routing so far.
                                                                                                                            2. Use it to drop library features into part. Think it is fastest way of doing so.
                                                                                                                            ______________________________________________________
                                                                                                                            My request is the one that worked in SW 2001-2003.

Ability to place angular dimension in 3d sketch: between sketch line and origin plane.
                                                                                                                            That one works in 2d sketch. Please fix it back so we use it in 3D sketch as well.
                                                                                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                            Bob Seher
                                                                                                                            I forgot....

Here is a real ER we want....

A "rebuild" process able to perform a "complete" rebuild of a large 100% top-down model having mirrored parts (reversed geometry parts), without the need to manually open the mirror and primary part on his hown window and perform a Control-Q on it and them save and close the parts (one after the other and on the right secuence), and without the need to press the "rebuild icon" several times and then execute a Control-Q another multiple times at at the end the need to save the model and reopen it "full resolved" in order for the software to rebuild the entire assembly without showing errors....

In short... a "rebuild" process that works... but i do not know if this is a ER or a need to fix a deficinecy of the code and process of an existing functionality.

MR MARTINEZ...................
                                                                                                                            This response is intended to address the question of M. G. Martinez, but could not find his email address for direct contact. If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, please let me know. Originally posted 3/11/2008, but just found by me today.

I realize this is almost a year late, but I have and have been using for over a year a macro that we're so happy with, we call it my Smiley Face because it makes us so happy. We control a lot of assemblies with equations driven from annotation dimensions at the assembly level. Assembly rebuilds will not address all of the part equations properly because SW does not test for changes in annotation dimensions like it does in feature dimensions. Parts must be opened and rebuilt individually for the assembly to properly rebuild.

First attempted by our VAR, and dressed up by a colleague (Jonathan Hunter)with proper annotations, this macro will step through the feature manager of any assembly and open-control Q rebuild-save-close each and every part of any assembly. It works in SW 2007-2009 without editing, and can provide verbose logging of activities, and provides an elapsed time for the entire operation. There is the option to have it cycle the parts as many times as you want. I use two times generally and on a 3Meg assembly of 108 components this "Rebuild all Parts" takes 3 minutes.

I've attached the files of the macro and the icon I use for it to create an icon on my standard tool bar next to the save icon.

It will not run as a separate macro called up through the macro toolbar. For some reason, it must be set up as an icon on your tool bar for it to run. It will work on parts and assemblies, but not on drawings.

Please contact me if you have any questions at bobs@hightechtrailers.com

I think I did this "quote" thing wrong, maybe better next time.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                        Kelvin Lamport
                                                                                                                        Van Stokes, can you explain your following statement?

* Parts/Assemblies properties linked to their drawings.
                                                                                                                        It's ridiculous how it's done now - having to maintain most of the information manually. Updating the part/assembly properties should automatically propagate do the drawing the next time the drawing is accessed.

I've never had to maintain any of the information manually and the properties have always been updating for me.
                                                                                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                            Van Stokes
                                                                                                                            OK. Here's an example that I have never had working properly:

In the TEMPLATE (Part, Assembly, and Drawing) set the PROPERTY Description to $PRP:"SW-Title".
                                                                                                                            Create a NEW part/assembly/drawing - what happen to the Description setting?
                                                                                                                            OK, Manually set the Description in a part to be $PRP:"SW-Title" and save the file.
                                                                                                                            Now, go into explorer, hover the file you just saved and what is the description show? Why, it's $PRP:"SW-Title" - yea, that's really useful.
                                                                                                                            Next, take your part and create a drawing.. What's the Title? Blank (not copied from the part/assembly). I don't know why this tab can't be auto populated from the part/assembly you are creating a drawing for (or at least on option to have it auto populate). Set the TITLE. Goto the properties and Description setting missing - yet again.

I mention this issue to a VAR and they told me that you can't link SW fields. You can only link user fields. Frustrating.

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                Harold Brunt
                                                                                                                                I would like to generate an aspheric surface by entering the diameter, the radius and the conic. It would be a bonus if the resulting line could be edited (instead of a spline made of fixed points). I'd like to be able to place the 0 point where I want it and on what ever plane I want and to have the axis of rotation at whatever angle in space that I want.

Currently I use OptisWorks to generate the surface as a lens, then delete the part and leave the sketch. It is always a spline on fixed points on the right plane at the 0,0 point. If the optical model changes it makes for a lot of work changing the mechanical model.
                                                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                  Van

Do you want the Drawing to show the title from the model that you are detailing? If so then the code should be $PRPSHEET:"SW-Title". THis will show the title from the model in the view that is in the sheet. If you click Link to property you will get the link to property dialog box. Make sure you click "Model in view specified in sheet properties".

Lorne
                                                                                                                              • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                Cory King
                                                                                                                                I would be thrilled to just see the Customer Portal as a whole fully all the time. It seems like everytime I try to submit an ER or an SPR something isnt working or I dont even have the option. I am constantly asked to login, over and over again. This doesnt matter if Im using Firefox or I.E. my experience has been that the Customer Portal has become more UNSTABLE than SolidWorks itself!! Of course, as every other problem I have ends up, its probably my videocard
                                                                                                                                  • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                    Steve Calvert
                                                                                                                                    Ok, Greg Jankowski this is for you or anyone else at SW that could help.

What is the status of getting a forum for "Enhancement Requests" started?

It's been 6 months since I first started this post and poised the question and we have no idea if it will be done. 33 different people posting (at last count) should give you a good idea about whether or not this would work for you guys at SW and for the user community as a whole.

Steve
                                                                                                                                      • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                        Eddie Cyganik

Steve,

Thank God you weren't holding your breathe this long or you'd be more than blue.
                                                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                          Neil Larsen
                                                                                                                                          Steve,
                                                                                                                                          Well here we are 6 months further along from your post.. and still no reply from Mr J or anyone else of consequence... now why this is no surprise to some of us?..

Because we know all too well from past experience SW managers really have very few clues about customer service and relations viewing it as a resource consuming pestulance.
                                                                                                                                          Instead SW happily rely on marketing to generate any amount of largely worthless and lame e-buzz in its place.
                                                                                                                                          This is largely successful in that it keeps most people amused and distracted who otherwise might be mislead by any critical thinkers or at least anyone smart enough to be an engineer rather than a cut and paste reproduction artist.

You shouldnt be disappointed though Steve, one of the founding principles of SW according to the ex CEO is that they can do business and be pleasant with it.
                                                                                                                                          Somewhere out there is a SW employee who saw your request and was pleasantly tickled by its audacity but too polite to say.

Anyway by way of small recompence be sure to head over to vote for the SWW09 Top 10 fluff and fumble enhancement requests and count yourself lucky that much happened.
                                                                                                                                          As they say in the movies any resemblance to any idea you may of had, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
                                                                                                                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                              Neil

Sorry correction its been 8 months. And 8 months ago Greg Jankowski Said

"Steve,

Don know how it would have gotten moved. Would you like to moved back to the General section? It would make more sense.

This is a great idea by the way..."

It seems that "this is a great idea by the way" does not mean this is a great, It like a politicians who says "that a great question" ............

I have listed some of SW VAR returns on this forum. And they seem to have the same meaning.

We subscribe and they smile and say "smile and wave boys smile and wave"
                                                                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                  Neil Larsen
                                                                                                                                                  sorry Doug I was looking at Steves post just above dated 19 June 08 when I said 6 months...

I was browsing for some other stuff today and came across this thread.
                                                                                                                                                  I tend to make pointed comments here and there just to try and keep their conscience primed even if they are invisible
                                                                                                                                                  They love my sense of fair play and merry banter.
                                                                                                                                                  For my part I tend to 'salute' rather than wave but...

On the bright side I think there are a few VIP SW people who could easily get a job at GM where their complete lack of management skills will be highly prized and well rewarded by another subscription service = taxpayers.
                                                                                                                                                  They will feel right at home
                                                                                                                                                    • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                      Maybe we should look at a more public forum.

You know what I don't get.

If I have a problem that is really affecting my work, and I contact my VAR and they contact SW. Surly someone from SW would make contact with me to say they are working on my problem and then when the bring out ev SP2 which goes to solve some of the problems I am having, they would then make sure I get it?

Hell no. they have "so many people to deal with" they can only deal with VAR............They still have to solve my problem.....I'm running on aren't I...
                                                                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                          Neil Larsen
                                                                                                                                                          Well Doug this is a little off topic here but I'll do my best to answer you cos I know this is looming large for you ATM and perhaps also into the middle of the night

The VAR is the agent of action between customers and SW for any problems.
                                                                                                                                                          They get paid to be the middlemen.
                                                                                                                                                          They have their methods and tracking systems and its supposed to be effective and orderly.
                                                                                                                                                          A good VAR should have their finger on the pulse having more access than users do to technical info etc but in fairness there are many many issues to deal with per release (2000+) and a VAR will have x number of local customers to look after and therefore you can only expect so much by way of personal attn and response unless you are a very large company with subs clout in which case a SW rep may come first hand to investigate...
                                                                                                                                                          Really its up to your VAR to get on the case for you and keep you informed.
                                                                                                                                                          Not all VARS excel at what they are supposed to do however most try.
                                                                                                                                                          They are only human ( so I've heard) and they cannot waive a wand and grant your every wish for deliverance from bugs or this particular situation you have.
                                                                                                                                                          However chase your VAR up and ask them if they can find out if some of your vital issues are addressed in sp2 if you cant work that out from the SPR list and also if you can please have the EV.
                                                                                                                                                          Impress on them that the issues are causing you financial hardship if they are and they are not already aware of this.
                                                                                                                                                          All said and done though its a waiting game and you will have to be patient.
                                                                                                                                                          If 50 people come knocking at the SW door they arent going to spend much time actually fixing stuff.
                                                                                                                                                          If you really need someone on the ground at your address looking into the problem you need to take that issue up with your VAR.
                                                                                                                                                          I know its a big ask in times of stress and strain but try to maintain a reasoned detatchment and concentrate on what you can achieve rather than what you cant presently or the cost.
                                                                                                                                                          You will wear yourself to a frazzle worrying about what cant be changed - better to make a bargain with yourself about going forward and be able to apply a fresh mindset to the challenge of tomorrow.

If you want to discuss this particular issue any further please start another thread for it and I'll be happy to provide some support as I can
                                                                                                                                                          HTH
                                                                                                                                                          cheers
                                                                                                                                                          Neil
                                                                                                                                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                              Luke Malpass
                                                                                                                                                              Also, for all of those waiting for a SW ER forum, I have added an Enhancement Requests forum HERE
                                                                                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                  That's great and thanks...........But why does SW hold back on creating the ER forum here where they can easily get to it and it is their software that the users may help to improve?
                                                                                                                                                                    • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                      Steve Calvert
                                                                                                                                                                      You know, I didn't really think this would actually start an Enhancement Request Forum but it has/is doing what I had hoped for in the beginning. Which is: Open Discussion/Brainstorming. I think the main reason why we won't get this forum is because there are too many people out there who cannot adapt and would fill up the request que with, " I don't like seeing the Solidworks logo when I open up the program, why can't I have my own company's logo there instead ." I've come to realize, over the years, that far too many people just don't like change or cannot adapt to a new way of doing things. WE cannot have it all our way. Now, don't through me overboard yet, I'm still on the users side and understand that too many changes at once is also not good. It is nice to have a vent for or frustrations.

So, if you all haven't made it to the SW webpage to vote on Top Ten List, I hope you do so now because they are listening and want to make things better.

Steve
                                                                                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                          Neil Larsen
                                                                                                                                                                          I think there are a few reasons why this wont happen.

1. SW dont want to discuss anything that might leak out to their competitors.
                                                                                                                                                                          In their eyes this is a 'product' with a barbie type lifecycle not a computer program for engineers to achieve something serious.

2. Discussion might expose SW employees performance to scrutiny by users.
                                                                                                                                                                          Its far better to just suspect someone has a blank screen rather than confirm it.

3. SW like to do things their own way in their own time regardless of user opinion and suggestion even if it means taking your good idea and rendering it half finished.

4. directives from anti-social management to limit interaction on the forum and its usefulness to the minimum in deference to the VAR network and other job creation schemes

5. any official attention is focused on soft marketing campaigns that feed the buzz bubble - ie they are interested in self promotion rather than admitting any failing or current limitation of the product.
                                                                                                                                                                          Everything is choreographed to this global aim including guest appearances of VP Sales and Marketing here and there as required

6. many users just keep their seats warm and are not motivated to participate in brain challenging exchanges prefering instead a junk food diet of blogging, twittering and feel good SWW pilgrimages.

anyway... vote for change... vote.. or loose it, probably..hmmm.if we actually have it(?)...
                                                                                                                                                                            • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                              Here is SW's first attempt.

They will use the results for SW World.

Lorne
                                                                                                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                                  Neil mentioned the link in an earlier post and it is hard to navigate. Apparently this came from an idea that came up on the SW Real Insights Community which was similar to this topic. I think that it needs some vast improvements as well but it's something.
                                                                                                                                                                                    • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                                      Bill Taylor
                                                                                                                                                                                      Hello everyone, this has been a very interesting thread. What would you think if we replaced the comments section on the Brainstorm site with an embedded forum tool? Also, anyone that has ideas around things they would like to see on that site feel free to send them over to me... Just gathering ideas at the moment.

btaylor@solidworks.com

Thanks

Bill Taylor
                                                                                                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                                          Matt Lombard
                                                                                                                                                                                          I think Brainstorm is one of the best things ever to come out of SolidWorks in terms of data collection. I like it and think (hope) it will result in a better SW product.

One thing that seems clear is that there needs to be some sort of expert review on Brainstorm. Many of the requests are actually already in the software. There are a lot of ways to do expert review:

- forum elected user panel
                                                                                                                                                                                          - SW appointed user panel
                                                                                                                                                                                          - SW employee filter
                                                                                                                                                                                          - forum peer filter

Some of this already goes on in the form of peer filtering. For example "Assemblies instantly saved as single body parts" has to be one of the worst suggestions I've heard, and it got voted to a -6.

But then another request which is very similar "Single body assembly representation", already exists in the software (although not exactly as the suggester requested, because what he wants is most often impossible), but it has been voted +65.

Both users need to know about saving assembly as a part, SpeedPak, eDrawings, lightweight, configurations, display states, and maybe a few other things as well.

This could be a good thing, because users will find the stuff they want sooner than anyone could possibly program it. All SW has to do is some education.

Another thing I'd suggest is to vastly improve the search and display options. You can only see 5 ideas at once, and reading through a long list of comments is very difficult. I found the search to be ineffective.

I really love the basic idea of Brainstorm, and I think the results it has shown are overall fantastic.

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                                              Steve Calvert
                                                                                                                                                                                              Matt you are correct with your statements about Brainstorming. It is a lost form and many people cannot do it because they speak up way too soon in the process and that takes away from the flow of ideas. I think this is more kin to a silent Brainstorm, where people speak up but cannot here others voices. I and others tried to commit on "already there" requests. Education is the key.

You know me, I remain optimistic about changing (making better) the software and this approach seems to be the best avenue to get these changes.

Steve
                                                                                                                                                                                                • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                                                  I contacted my VAR about it but thought I would mention it here too.

Got into work on a Monday morning with a thought in my head and wanted to get it down into electron form before I got too bogged down. I started on the part and got about 2 hours into it, and was cleaning it up and adding fillets. Solidworks then told me it had an error, had to restart and would open up my last save for me. How nice.

Problem is, it wasn't there. In my haste, I never named the part. Rather than helpfully naming it Part1 like it always wants to do anyway, if you don't give the part a name, autosave doesn't ever turn on. There aren't any reminders, either, though I should have noticed that box not popping up on bottom. This doesn't seem like a plus, to me at least. Is there a setting I missed somewhere?
                                                                                                                                                                                              • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                                                Bill

I put my suggestions down in Real Insights but thought I would post them again here.
                                                                                                                                                                                                I have a couple of suggestions to add to the brainstorming site:

Add some way to say that SW is actively looking into a solution

Add a way to say SW has implimented a solution

Add a way to filter the above in or out

Add a SW employee comment section to pose questions back to the users

Add a SW problems/roadblocks to an ER so that users can help solve issues and/or comprimise to find a solution

All of the above would go much further in letting users know that SW is listening. This way it wouldn't feel like we are just putting ideas into the air to make us feel good. Even if there is not a possible solution or SW is not willing to impliment a request for whatever reason it is better to know it rather that just putting somthing out there and nothing ever happens.

Communicating SW's position Good, Bad or Ugly is better than nothing. At least we would know that someone is looking at them.

I would even like to see a little more than just an implimented section. What would be nice is a status section indicating that you are looking at finding a solution. This could just have a number of levels for example: Not reviewed yet, Under review, actively pursuing a solution, Solution found and being created, Solution implimented.

You could also have some sub catigories like: No solution found, Roadblock need feedback, solution found but difficult to impliment (on hold) etc.

Then at the different levels I would provide a sub-comments section so that customers and SW employees could converse.

Also you would probably want to give an option to subscribe to an ER that way if there is a status change or a comment added, the people interested could brainstorm.

Lorne

• Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                      Kelvin Lamport

What would you think if we replaced the comments section on the Brainstorm site with an embedded forum tool?

Can you expand on that thought, Bill? Are you suggesting the creation of another forum just for commenting on ER's?
                                                                                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                          Bill

I think and I think most peaple would agree that the best place for an enhancment request forum would be right here. If there were a new forum site for enhancment requests I think alot of peaple might miss out. Why not just create and enhancment request section in this forum like everyone has been asking for. Are you afraid that other companies will steal these ideas. If so why worry these realy would not be your ideas anyway they would be the users idea. Alot of these ideas get thrown around on the forums anyway. If it is not to much trouble please put a section on this forum.
                                                                                                                                                                        • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                          Kevin Quigley
                                                                                                                                                                          A bit late to this party but nonethless....

Following on from Christine's post a lot earlier relating to parts and assemblies.....

Like many others I'm sure, I work mainly in small assemblies of complex parts, so I usually start in the part environment and use multibody modelling to design in context, then save out the bodies to an assembly, mate them up and do my BOMs and exploded views there. Works fine. But here's the thing, why can't I do exploded views with bodies in a part environment? Why can't I right click a body and save "add to BOM" and have a BOM data added to my drawing? Why can't I add toolbox parts to a multi body part? Why can't I utilise smart components in the same environment? The fact is the underlying technology is already there. All that needs to be be done is for it to be "exposed to the user interface" (paraphrasing a CAD developer I know well!).

I'm not suggesting we get rid of the assembly environment at all, but for those users who deal with small assemblies having a unified part/assembly environment makes a huge difference - that would definately be an upgrade worth having!

And yes, equations need an update! One of the only benefits of using ThinkDesign over SolidWorks was that you could just add equations directly in any dialogue, and rename any dimension or feature parameter on the fly. The whole Solidworks dialogue box approach is a bit 1990s!

But hey, its SWW time and the preview of SolidWorks 2010, so you never know!

Oh, that and of course conic curvess and splines by control curves (as opposed to points)!
                                                                                                                                                                          • Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                            Chris Challinor
                                                                                                                                                                            Allow Real View to work with any video card, I know my ATI 4870 X2 can do any 3d Game With all settings maxed out......so why do I have to use a video card that is junk (compared to mine) to use real view.

I it works great, if not then allow us to turn real view on or off. I know that some of the Nvidia Gamer cards work with the SW Drivers installed so it is not a hardware issue.
                                                                                                                                                                            • Re: Enhancement Requests
                                                                                                                                                                              Anthony Macke

how's about a bigger or resizeable window where the selected edges are listed. can be a pain to scroll thru large lists looking for missing edges. hopefully this isnt a repeat post.

Untitled.png

Kevin De Smet

I just came back from the launch event and they were boasting about the new Ambient Occlusion, please for the love of god make it real-time! how can you possibly afford to enhance AO and then not make it real-time? I don't get it.

Dennis Dohogne

I too think it would be great to have an Enhancement Request section of the forum.  It was one of the items I was suggesting for the Top Ten list for 2016.

The benefits to SWX and the community are numerous:

1. The users can brainstorm and refine the idea, thus giving the SWX developers a better definition of what we want.  Often a single person submitting an ER provides very small definition.  Rarely are those ERs researched and commented on by others.  (Frankly, I think the current ER system is poorly done.)

2. The user community is also brilliant.  Often the discussions will tell how to solve the problem with code, not just with a work-around (re the icon colors of 2016).

3. The forum is so much easier to navigate than the ER section of SWX.  A small percentage of users use the forum.  A very small fraction of them are willing to go to the trouble of logging into the ER system and submitting an ER.  An even smaller fraction of those will have researched the ERs to see if there is anything like their own idea.

4. We know that there are some folks at SWX that monitor these forums, either due to their interest or due to their assignment.  We have some evidence that our comments here are considered and do influence SWX to some extent.

Therefore this forum is a defacto ER submission area anyway, why not make it more inviting to the community to provide substantial and constructive input?

Along those lines I would like SWX to clarify how and where they get their information for "user input".  This is so that we know where to best direct our efforts.  This forum is a great place for the user community to ask and give help, share tips and clever ways of doing things, gripe, laugh a bit, and suggest improvements to the software we use.  By making a designated area within the forum and tags for ERs it will foster more directed input.

While I'm at it, I would also like SWX to state that ALL ideas submitted for their Top Ten lists will automatically be considered as ERs.  I assume they are anyway, but I want it stated because we all know about assumptions.  I also want this stated so that the Top Ten list ideas stay around as ERs for the community to look at and continue to discuss/refine/and more easily research.  How many times have we expressed aggravation at the great stuff on the Top Ten list forever disappearing after the voting is closed?

Dennis Dohogne
                                                                                                                                                                                      While I'm at it, I would also like SWX to state that ALL ideas submitted for their Top Ten lists will automatically be considered as ERs. I assume they are anyway, but I want it stated because we all know about assumptions. I also want this stated so that the Top Ten list ideas stay around as ERs for the community to look at and continue to discuss/refine/and more easily research. How many times have we expressed aggravation at the great stuff on the Top Ten list forever disappearing after the voting is closed?

Never assume anything.  It makes an A$$ out of yoU and ME.