AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need some Help: surface won't thicken properly

Question asked by Coen de Winter on Feb 7, 2008
Latest reply on Feb 11, 2008 by Coen de Winter
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I seem to have a little problem. I'm drawing a 1936 hydroplane in solidworks 2008. Just because it would be a nice challenge. I have a complete surface made according to my table of offsets. This surface represents the outside of the planking of the hull. The deck and sides are 6mm thick and the bottom is 8mm thick.

The problem is Solid won't thicken the surface with a simple Thicken feature.

If I mirror my surfaces to get the whole boat, and check the form solid box, it will form a nice solid. A shell at this point will actually succeed, but the inside surface will be no good at all. I cannot even copy the resulting inside surface because Solidworks tells me the surface is self-intersecting :S.

I even tried to copy the original surface, than scaling it down. The problem here is that it's pretty inaccurate. I can't really get the position of the inside surface spot on.

Eventually I found that the problem is in the surface for the deck of the boat. Solidwork won't offset this surface inside or out.

I have attached the part if you would like to see what I'm talking about. As you can see in the part, I do manage to get the hull looking good. The problem here is the inside surface again.

This one has really got me stomped now. Does anyone have a clue about what to do about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings,
Coen de Winter

Attachments

Outcomes