4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2008 5:32 PM by John Bjerke

Missing extension line in cropped view

John Bjerke
      Hey all,

I have a sheet metal part that has an optional notch. I do not want to show it in the flat pattern, so it is suppressed. In the formed view it is unsuppressed. I want to dimension this notch in the drawing, so I have a detail view of the flat pattern where the notch would be, but SW wont let me change to configuration of the detail view. To make my "detail view" I just made a cropped view of the formed part. I am dimensioning the view, but an extension line does not show up. If i move the dimension way off the sheet, to where the part would end if it were not cropped the extension line shows up, but if I move it back to have it look right on the drawing it disappears.

Is this normal, or is this a bug?

I can just sketch the line manually, but it doesn't seem like a great solution.
        • Missing extension line in cropped view
          John Burrill
          the detail view shows the same configuration as the parent view. That's intended behavior and it would surprise me if it wasn't an ASME requirement. What you probably want is to make a cropped view of your folded part.
          John
            John Bjerke
            Yes, I understand that the detail view is tied to the parent configuration. I am not sure if its an ASME requirement or not, but we have been doing this in the past for our sheet metal vendors, and this is how I have been asked to draw it. The flat pattern is 60.00" and the steel sheets come to the vendor at 60.00 +.xx/-.00 So instead of trimming the a very small amount along the entire sheet, we just put notches in for reference.

Even if what I am trying to do is technically incorrect, shouldn't Solidworks do what I want it to? It wont let me change the configuration of a detail view so I did create a cropped view of the formed part. When I dimension the formed part in the cropped view the extension line does not show up, unless I drag the dimension way off the sheet, where the line I am dimensioning to/from would end if it were not a cropped
            view. I have dimensioned cropped views in the past and never had an issue.

I just sketched a line on the drawing to get it finished and released, but would like to fix this sometime if possible.
                Roy Potter
                To me this is a bug in the software. It use to be an option called smart extension lines which you could turn off and display the lines. Not sure where it has gone in 2008.

I see your using 2007 it should be under more properties for dimensions, can not remember exactly where, but I think there is a display button which takes you to another dialog box.

Also when the extension line did appear it was linked to the end of the component and a real pain to reposition to the correct place.