16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2008 6:34 PM by Jerry Steiger

Learning to Surface

Troy Peterson
      I am looking to learn how to use surfacing, are there any good ways of going about this, I.E. books, tutorials, websites ect. ?
        • Learning to Surface
          John Reinhard
          The tutorials that SolidWorks will provide a good start. There are some of the regulars on this fourm, like Matt Lombard, that offer resources for more in-depth surfacing instruction. Matt, is your latest surfacing book out yet?
          • Learning to Surface
            Charles Culp
            How impatient are you? Matt Lombard is about to publish a book (it will be available early this summer) on surfacing, and I can promise that it will be excellent, even without reading it.

You can contact him about getting one, or visit his blog post when he was done writing it here: http://dezignstuff.com/blog/20...08/well-its-done-d-it/. Maybe he can reply to this posting with more info. He also has some presentations on his webpage: http://cvswug.dezignstuff.com/presentations.html

You can also look around on the usergroup webpages: http://www.swugn.org/. Many of the local user groups will have presentations (mostly .ppt) that cover surface modeling. I'll do a little looking around to see if I can find any specific ones.

Your VAR should also offer classes, and they should also be able to provide you with a surfacing book.

*Edit: And ofcourse, read through the posts in this thread. There are a couple videos done by Mark Biasotti that are actually on solidworks.com; they cover new features for SW2007. I can't seem to find them, but they are out there, too.

Also: http://www.solidprofessor.com/viewproduct.asp?prodno=42
              • Learning to Surface
                Matt Lombard
                Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I just finished editing the book yesterday. You can pre-order it from Amazon, but I'm guessing something is going to happen to the price before its really released. Its about 50% of what it should be right now. It should be printed by April/May.

There are some other things as well, Ed Eaton's stuff of course. Paul Salvador, Mike Wilson. Lots of people do cool stuff. I have a watering can surfacing tutorial on my blog http://dezignstuff.com/blog/20...ng-tutorial-water-can/ with a 14 page pdf tutorial.

I will also be putting a sample chapter from the book on my blog in a week or so covering how to model a ladle - big soup spoon.

The SolidProfessor stuff is stuff I've written http://www.solidprofessor.com/viewproduct.asp?prodno=42 , and the reseller class on surfacing I wrote a fair amount of that as well http://www.solidworks.com/page...surface.html?PID=281.

One of my favorite surfacing forums is Product Design Forums. Lots of CAD packages there, but SW is well represented, and they do a lot of tutorials. http://www.productdesignforums.com/
                  • Learning to Surface
                    Christopher Thompson
                    I noticed that SolidWorks performance is not as good with surface models as with solid models. I do not see this issue when creating surface models in Pro-E.

Is the problem due a Parasolids kernal versus Granite kernal, or it is something else? It would like to see SW performance improve for surface modeling.
                      • Learning to Surface
                        Kevin Quigley

Chris Thompson wrote:

I noticed that SolidWorks performance is not as good with surface models as with solid models. I do not see this issue when creating surface models in Pro-E.

Is the problem due a Parasolids kernal versus Granite kernal, or it is something else? It would like to see SW performance improve for surface modeling.

What specifically do you mean Chris? The core Pro/E looks about the same to me as SW in terms of speed for surfacing. The IDSX extension is a bit different....
                        • Learning to Surface
                          Troy Peterson
                          Thank you all for your suggestions, if anyone else has any keep them coming.

Matt, I will look for your book tonight. 50% off, I bet it would still be a great deal at twice the price.

Thanks to all agian....
                            • Learning to Surface
                              Christopher Thompson
                              When modeling with surfaces, I noticed the file size increase more than expected. I asked my SW VAR about this, and was informed the code for SW is optimized for solid modeling, not surface modeling. So when is this going to change?

Part of the problem maybe due to multiple configurations, and a mirror body in the part. I noticed that recombining solid bodies also seems to affect the performance in SW. I do think the core of Pro-E is faster for surface modeling than SolidWorks. I do not have actual evidence, although I did read something about it on the internet if I could find the actual study.

It is possible that SW setting for parts with several features (over 300) could use some adjustment. What do you suggest for a Dell M90 (Win XP Pro x64), NVidia Quadro FX 2500M, 4GB RAM, and SolidWorks Office Premium 2007 x64 SP 5.0?

Yes, the ISDX module is different in Pro-E. It annoys me that no feature history tree is created in the ISDX module. As other Pro-E clients may not have this extension, I use it only when absolutely needed. It contains a loft feature missing from the standard Pro-E surfacing features, although I can usually use either a variable section sweep or boundary blend feature in place of the loft.
                                • Learning to Surface
                                  Matt Lombard
                                  Chris,

Use your Feature Statistics to find the rebuild time hogs.

Aside from a couple specific individuals, I would take anything a reseller says about anything (and especially surfacing) with a grain of salt. There is very little real knowledge about SolidWorks surfacing floating around out there among users or resellers. I doubt SW will ever change their focus to surfacing, they have been aiming too low on the CAD food chain (2D users) to attract sophisticated surfacing types.

When I wanted to know stuff for my writing, I had to go to a couple of folks at SW, and the answers aren't nearly as nice and packaged as you'd expect, and people don't just have standard answers rolling off of their tongues. Surfacing language and culture in SolidWorks is still in its infancy, there is not a sophisticated, developed and mature contingent of SW surfacing users at this point.

If you are seeing speed differences between SW solids and surfaces, it is as likely technique as anything. Generally surfaced models are far more complex than solid models anyway, so I'm not sure what you're using as a basis for real comparison. Best bet is to upload a model.

• Learning to Surface
                              Jerry Steiger
                              Just to make sure you can find this stuff, here is the link to Ed Eaton's tutorials:
                              http://www.dimontegroup.com/Tu...idWorks_Tutorials.htm

They got moved after Matt put the link on his personal site.

Jerry Steiger
                                • Learning to Surface
                                  Christopher Thompson
                                  Due to NDA, I cannot post the files. However, the attached JPEG shows both the SolidWorks and Pro-E model. This client asked the Pro-E model be converted to SolidWorks before making revision changes.

I modeled the SW file as exterior surfaces (1/2 side), then knitted a side and bottom surface before shelling, then mirroring the body. On the underside are bosses, ribs, etc. For the knurling in Pro-E, multiple curves (segments) could be projected on the knurl boundary before creating multiple sweep cuts. SolidWorks will not allow multiple unjoined curves to be projected. So I was forced to use a loft to create each individual knurl before patterning it, and then only for a local area (the rest is a cosmetic texture).

I definitely experienced a performance hit creating this file in SolidWorks. Perhaps there is a better way to create the knurl. I just need the tool maker to be able to create the path when manufacturing the molds.

Despite SW being slower, it is bringing in the income. Although I have more Pro-E experience, I have not have much luck finding Pro-E projects that do not require me to work onsite.
                                    • Learning to Surface
                                      Jerry Steiger
                                      Chris,

It's quite possible that Pro/E is faster in surfaceing. On the other hand, the internet source you remember may be a study that was done for PTC a couple of years ago. It's not too hard to bias the results by careful picking of the test model features. I would expect your part to be pretty slow in SW, since your knurling looks like a diamond knurl on a very large diameter and everybody reports that such knurls are very slow. It it's any consolation, patterning a partial knurl is generally thought to be faster than making the large knurl.

On your knurl, why did you have to use multiple unjoined curves? Couldn't you join the curves together "inside" the base part? Why use a loft? It seems like a sweep would be a better choice.

Jerry Steiger
                                  • Learning to Surface
                                    Thanks for the heads-up Matt.Glad i pre-ordered mine already!
                                • Learning to Surface
                                  Andrew Hughes
                                  I just took the Adv. Parts and Surfacing class at my local VAR. The class really helped out a lot. But then again I didn't have to pay for it. So if your company won't send you to the class, do the tutorials inside of SW and Google for others. I've found Tutorials to do online for Pro-E so I'm sure there are some out there for SW.
                                  • Learning to Surface
                                    ben shaw
                                    Thanks Matt - pre-ordered mine too!
                                    • Learning to Surface
                                      mansouri lamri
                                      please help me to fin tutorial surface solidworks
                                      or can you give me free links to dawnload vidéo trainnig
                                      my email is
                                      mansouri1971@yahoo.fr