8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2008 4:38 PM by Mark Fischer

Tool Bars

Mark Fischer
      Why do the tool bars keep moving around when going from a Prt file to the drawing file to an assembly file.

In SW07 they all stayed put, when you placed them around the screen.

Any suggestions
        • Tool Bars
          Jason Raak
          Does it do it more than once, the experience that I always had is that you needed to set it up 1 time for each file (part, assembly, drawing). Do you have to reset your toolbars multiple times in each kind of file?
            • Tool Bars
              Rob Jensen
              That has been my experience also. I would open a part, assembly and drawing and set-up my toolbars.

With 2008. I've been using the command manager and i'm loving it.
              • Tool Bars
                Mark Fischer
                Thanks Jason,

I think you are right, once you get them set in a new ( part, Assy. Drw ) file they don't move, but if you start another file they are not in the same place. I will look
                into that more.
                Just wish they would stay put
                  • Tool Bars
                    Dan Riffell
                    They should (mostly) stay put if you save your part, assy, and drawing templates the way you want them. I've had issues in the past ('07 as well as '08) with wandering toolbars without ever getting a resolution to my problem. Now I don't use any toolbars at all. The "S" key rocks.
                      • Tool Bars
                        Mark Fischer
                        I think the issue is that in different files, I have my common toolbars (ie: sketch) located in a different location on the screen so they move around.
                        Thinking I should keep common tool bars in the same location?
                          • Tool Bars
                            Jim Wilkinson

Mark Fischer wrote:

I think the issue is that in different files, I have my common toolbars (ie: sketch) located in a different location on the screen so they move around.

Thinking I should keep common tool bars in the same location?

Hi Mark,

Here is the way toolbars are supposed to work:
                            1) Each toolbar only has one position stored for the entire system regardless of individual document or even document type.
                            2) The visibility of each toolbar is stored per document type (and also for the state where no documents are open).

So, for instance, the location of the sketch toolbar is stored once in the registry. The visibility of the sketch toolbar (visible or hidden) is stored four times; once for parts, once for drawings, once for assemblies, and once for when no documents are open.

Therefore, the location of any particular toolbar should be the same between all documents and all document types. Only the visibility of each toolbar can vary per document type.

The only time when I can think of that a toolbar should move is if you reposition a toolbar to a spot where another toolbar is positioned in another document type. Then when you switch to that document type, it may push the toolbars around. For instance, lets say I put the sketch toolbar along the right side all the way to the top in part mode. Then I go to assembly mode, turn on the assembly toolbar, and put it on the right side all the way to the top (but the sketch toolbar is hidden). Now I turn on the sketch toolbar in assembly mode...either the sketch toolbar is going to get pushed around or the assembly toolbar is going to get pushed around since they can't occupy the same space. If the sketch toolbar got pushed to a new location, then when I switch back to a part document, it will have been pushed there too (since there is only one location of the sketch toolbar stored in the registry).

If you are seeing behavior other than this, I am curious to hear a more detailed description, images or video of the problem.
                            • Tool Bars
                              Dan Riffell
                              Absolutely keep your toolbars docked. SW has enough issues trying to anticipate our next move without trying to track down moving toolbars. The way that I had my toolbars set up was essentially in three rows. In the first row I had the toolbars that were common to all types of files (view, save, copy, etc.). In the second row I had the toolbars that were common to most types of files (sketch, etc.). In the third row I had the toolbars that were specific to the type of file (features for parts, assembly functions for assys, etc.). This seemed to work well for me. I never used the Command Manager, and, as I said previously, now I am in love with the "S" key.
                                • Tool Bars
                                  Mark Fischer
                                  You had it right. I had common tool bars in different locations depending on the file I was working on.
                                  So I put common tool bars in common locations for the 3 different files
                                  ( prt. Assy. drw ) and they are STAYIN PUT lol

Thanks everyone