1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 6, 2008 7:10 PM by Jakub Kasprzak

Immovable constraint for edge/faces

Ranga Narasimhan
      Hi,

I dont find use of immovable against fixed constraint. Indeed, the way immovable works is same as fixed constraint in cosmos for edge/faces.

Proof:
      Immovable means, del x =del y = del z =0. And there can be rotation. When i say permit "rotation" but not "movement" (for a non-point object), i need to define a axis of rotation, which Cosmos never ask me when i apply immovable constraint to a edge or face.

Result: The result behaviour is same on a given edge/face for both immovable/fixed.

Question: Does that mean immovable constraint is for point object only.

Thanks
        • Immovable constraint for edge/faces
          Jakub Kasprzak
          Hi,

For solid mesh there is no difference between immovable and fixed restraint. The only difference is in the case of shell and beams elements

The explanation is simple:
          for solid element one node has 3 degree of freedom just translations so when you use fixed restraints (define translations and rotations) or immovable restraints(define translations) there is no difference

for shell elements one node has 6 degree of freedom translations and rotations so it's matter if you use fixed restraints (define translations and rotations) or immovable restraints(define translations)

It is not dependent on the type of entity, i.e. point, edge or face.

By the way you can find all this information in COSMOSWorks help