22 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2008 3:09 PM by Dustin Biber

IGES or STEP from SolidWorks

Maria Maillet
      I'm trying to export complex SolidWorks models to solid iges models. When I try to bring them back into SolidWorks, there are missing faces and there are gaps that cannot be repaired. In some cases, the STEP file comes back into SW clean and in others, neither format works. I've tried to max out the image quality and I get the same results. Near as I can tell, the SW models are fine--complex, but fine.

I need to be able to send these files to a mold shop who uses ProE. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
      Maria
        • IGES or STEP from SolidWorks
          Larry Kutcher
          Send them ProE out of SW...
              Maria Maillet
              Larry,

Have you had success with this using SW 2007?

I haven't had much luck getting SW and ProE to play nice--I should say getting ProE to play nice with SW. Since 2000, SW has claimed that they could export to and import from native ProE and by the next release of ProE, it no longer worked. I just assumed it was still the case and didn't even bother to try it. I know 'assume'... :-)

I'd still like to know if there is something I can do about the missing faces in the iges files. We make iges and step files of every model we make and for all we know, half of them are useless.

Thanks for your help,

Maria
              Larry Kutcher
              Yah know... I never did ask what version of ProE this one machine shop uses. All I know is that every model I've sent - they've successfully built.
              And yes, that was out of SW07.

Just for ref:

Article ID: 099
              Applies to: COSMOSDesignSTAR
              Version: up to 4.5
              Category: CAD systems
              Created: 06/26/2000
              Last Revised: 03/16/2006
              Discussion
              COSMOSDesignSTAR cannot read direct files from Pro/E 2000i, 2000i2, and more recent releases of Pro/E, BUT it can read files from these newer version of Pro/E saved in STEP or IGES format..
              PRO/E 2000i changed the format of the part file to binary encryption.
              Note:COSMOSDesignSTAR can read direct files from PRO/E 2000 and earlier versions. It can also read IGES and STEP files from PRO/E.
              Reading part files from Pro/Engineer requires the purchase of an optional module that doesn't come with any COSMOSDesignSTAR package.

Larry Kutcher
                I just sent this machine shop a file saved out in ProE, from SW08. As well as an IGES and STEP version.
                I've asked him to report back to me which works best and what version of ProE he works with.

I'll let ya know...

Kutch
                  Larry Kutcher
                  Well, this is the machine shops response:

"I was able to open all 3 file formats. I would suggest providing the ProE translated files first with a STEP format as a backup in the event we run into difficulty.

v2001. We have later versions of Wildfire but haven't changed over as yet. This version has proven stable so we haven't been in a big hurry to move beyond it.
                  I was able to open your attached .prt file in Wildfire 2.0 as well."

Hope that helps...
                  Kutch
                      Christopher Thompson
                      I use both Pro-E and SolidWorks. Before adopting SW, I preferred to have STEP files created before importing into Pro-E.

The machine shop should be able to heal the geometry using the tools inside Pro-E. However, try sending a STEP file, and a save as Pro-E file (dumb solid) from SolidWorks and ask them to test which opens up cleanly inside Pro-E.
                      Kevin Quigley
                      Export as ACIS (.sat) from SolidWorks. Pro/E Wildfire reads .sat. In theory as a kernel based translation it should be more robust than generic ones like IGES or STEP. It used to be the case that SW .sat export was not the "official" version from Spatial. Not sure if that is still the case or not. Pro/E (or rather) PTC do license the ACIS translation stuff from Spatial so it should be robust.

Having said that the machine shop is using software that is well and truly behind the times, stable or not. If they want the business they should get up to date.
                          Christopher Thompson
                          I tested exporting a SW model as an ACIS (*.SAT) version 16. Pro-E WF 2.0 could not read the file, so what version of ACIS can Pro-E WF 2.0 read? I still think STEP is the best option, although this can create large file sizes.

I would also be interested in knowing if other users have found any export formats superior to STEP for importing into Pro-E. If specific export settings need to be adjusted, please post them.

I have asked another dual user (SW and Pro-E ) this question and here was the reply I received:

SW certainly creates larger files, is a pain for large assemblies and does not export models as well as Proe, especially .STL files.

A PTC VAR also made this claim when I was considering renewing my PTC license as demand for SW services has currently exceeded Pro-E services in my business:

Some feedback from other customers of mine who use or have used both programs: The Solidworks data is inaccurate, making it useless for manufacturing off of. Did you ever notice that Solidworks can bring in a lot of different models, but the models and exports it puts out are marginal. The reason for this is that Pro-e especially is more accurate than Solidworks, so sure Solidworks can bring in a geometrically accurate model from Pro-e, but when Solidworks puts it out, the surfaces are all disconnected and broken.
                          Shawn Austin
                          Hi
                          This is similar to question posted on 1/12/2007. I am exporting complex geometry out of solidworks and saving them as IGES/STEP/ACIS. However, when I reopen the IGES/STEP/ACIS files with solidworks, I get an error: No solid data in file. I am trying to find out whether the complexity of the geometry is the problem. The IGES/ACIS and STEP formats are easier to import into other software that I am using.
                            Kevin Quigley
                            Shawn, it's hard to give specifics without seeing the file. I was told many years ago by a SolidWorks developer in the UK and by an Ashlar developer in the USA that "round tripping" is not a good way to evaluate the quality of your data. Up until that point I did exactly that. Based on what they recommended I switched to checking exports in a different software.

Whatever you are doing the important thing is to try to match the target system to your export settings. SolidWorks has loads of settings for IGES and STEP and various versions of ACIS (.sat) so experiment with them.

Most up to date CAM systems can handle geometry from a variety of sources and qualities, but when things go wrong getting to the bottom of it can be troublesome. For this reason now I tend to only work with suppliers who read native file formats or at worse, same kernel. SolidWorks is not exactly an uncommon system and Parasolid can be read by pretty much all the mainstream CAM systems.

If you are trying to get SolidWorks data into another CAD system, like Pro/E, then that is another matter. In these cases what I do is send some trial files and we try to iron out the issues so when the job comes along it "should" be sorted.

One tip though is to include a 10x10x10mm cube in the file so that the recipient can check scaling issues by having a reference object to scale in the file.

So in short, don't worry too much if SolidWorks can't re-read the files it generates - as long as the target system can that's all that is important. For example, for IGES my reference system is VX as it has a very fast and accurate IGES translator that deals with open surfaces and solids and gappy edges far better than SolidWorks does.
                                Alan Knapper
                                Yes, well, the problem isn't just Solidworks to Pro-E. We get files in from customers all the time that were created in Pro-E, and it doesn't matter what export format is used, sometimes they come in clean, often, there's doctoring to be done.

Where the big problem comes in, is the fact that Pro-E apparently still has this "shrink wrap" function, where it's possible to virtually strip out the exterior faces of a part and create just the outer skin of the part. What happens then is, if there are holes in these outer faces, such as venting or a complex assembly, it doesn't know which faces to grab. Therefore, what you get is a very chewed up representation of the part you're looking for, okay for getting an idea of what the part looks like, but absolutely useless in trying to use it for anything else.

Usually, when it comes to getting files from customers using Pro-E, I tell them to send as many different formats as possible, and we'll see which one works best this time...
                                Shawn Austin
                                Hi

I am importing a geometry with numerous surfaces. When I import into solidworks it suggest importing as an stl-graphics body instead of solid body or surface. However, when I try to save the stl-graphics object to another file format such parasolid, or IGES or ACIS I get nothing or errors. Is there a way to change a graphics body to a another file format. Kevin and Alan, thanks for your responses. Sorry I got to this a month late. Kinda gave up on the whole thing but trying again. The reason I am doing this is because the surface reconstruction software does not have a native file format for fluent(CFD) software.
                                  Stephanie Rogers
                                  I'm having a similar problem saving to IGES and then opening the file in Mastercam. Fillets come in as full spheres and some faces go missing. Are there any special translators for this?
                                    Stephanie Rogers
                                    I'm having a similar problem saving to IGES and then opening the file in Mastercam. Fillets come in as full spheres and some faces go missing. Are there any special translators for this?
                                      Shawn Austin
                                      Hi

Does anyone know of any software that would change point cloud representation to NURBS? I have not had any success importing my model as a solid or surface body in solidworks.
                                        Kelvin Lamport
                                        Stephanie,
                                        Have you tried Mastercam Direct for SolidWorks?
                                        http://www.mastercam.com/Suppo...astercamX/Default.aspx
                                          Dustin Biber
                                          I haven't seen anyone mention exporting to parasolid. It is my recollection that both SW and ProE use the parasolid kernel and that this form of translation was the most robust. Though I have not needed the function in the past, I would say it is worth a look at for your needs.
                                              Anna Wood

Dustin Biber wrote:

I haven't seen anyone mention exporting to parasolid. It is my recollection that both SW and ProE use the parasolid kernel and that this form of translation was the most robust. Though I have not needed the function in the past, I would say it is worth a look at for your needs.

ProE uses a kernal called Granite. It is not Parasolid's based.

Cheers,
                                              Dustin Biber
                                              Ah very good. Thanks Anna.