3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2008 7:54 AM by Christopher Pinto

Inventor to SW

Andre Anthony
      Hi All:

I am presently trying to document methods of importing Inventor (11 or 12) parts and assemblies into a master assembly model in Solidworks 2008.

According to all I've read, SW 2008 has the ability to open both parts and assemblies made in Inventor. To date I have tried to import parts made in Inv 8, 10 and 11 into SW 2008 and no go, just lots of crashing - the best I have gotten so far is an error saying the imported part is made from an "incompatible version" of the (Inventor) software, but that was in SW 2007.

My question is, can SW 2008 be used to reliably and consistantly open Inventor parts and/or assemblies. If not, fine, I will specify a conversion through SAT, iges... whatever will work. At present I am assuming I am missing some important step or...

Presently using SW2008 SP0

Thanks for the input

Andre
        • Inventor to SW
          Jason Capriotti
          You need either Inventor or Inventor View (which is free to download) installed, then you read the newer IV files.

You don't have to have the programs open, just installed.
          • Inventor to SW
            Kelvin Lamport
            Well that's a step backwards! SW07 could import .ipt format files without needing to have Inventor installed.

It's a good job the IV reader is a free download.
            • Inventor to SW
              Christopher Pinto

Andre Anthony wrote:

Hi All:

I am presently trying to document methods of importing Inventor (11 or 12) parts and assemblies into a master assembly model in Solidworks 2008.

According to all I've read, SW 2008 has the ability to open both parts and assemblies made in Inventor. To date I have tried to import parts made in Inv 8, 10 and 11 into SW 2008 and no go, just lots of crashing - the best I have gotten so far is an error saying the imported part is made from an "incompatible version" of the (Inventor) software, but that was in SW 2007.

My question is, can SW 2008 be used to reliably and consistantly open Inventor parts and/or assemblies. If not, fine, I will specify a conversion through SAT, iges... whatever will work. At present I am assuming I am missing some important step or...

Presently using SW2008 SP0

Thanks for the input

Andre

Hi Andre,
              The crash has been fixed in sw2008 SP01. For Inventor parts with version greater than 10 or assemblies (any version) you require either Inventor or the Inventor viewer installed on your machine.
              regards,