5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2008 4:10 PM by Brian Bitter

    *.acs import

    Simon Oldfield
      I recieved an acs file from a LIDAR scan the other day, however despite it containing many thousand scan points after nearly an hour of processing the import SW produced 3....yes, three points!

      Has anyone else experienced difficulties in importing this kind of data as it suggests the import filter doesnt work as the file opens correctly in other software.

        • *.acs import
          John Burrill
          Are you using the scan-to-3d plugin?
            • *.acs import
              Simon Oldfield
              Yes, but that only comes into play once you have opened the file through the usual file -> open method, then using scan to 3D after that.
                • *.acs import
                  John Burrill
                  OK, I don't have office premium so I'm not very familiar with scan to 3D, but you might try unchecking the 'merge meshes to remove overlaps' control and see if that gives you better results.
                  John
                    • *.acs import
                      Simon Oldfield
                      Thanks John, I'll give it a try later.
                        • *.acs import
                          Brian Bitter

                          I think:

                          If you don't have the Scan to 3d add-in activated, you don't even have the option to open .txt, .xyz, etc files. So you are actually using the add-in when you first open the file. The problem is when you open a file in this way, the data comes in as a point cloud, which is different than a bunch of points in a 3d sketch.

                          So far, we have no problem when opening a *.txt file with Scan to 3d, except it is not incredibly useful to have a point cloud feature when what you want is points. There is no way to convert a point cloud to points.

                          We wrote a macro to draw 900 points and only got 870. We also tried a macro that was given to us by another user. Both macros had the same problem, points were missing. It looks to me like the problem is SNAPS. As the points are being created, if a point is very close to another point that has already been created, the snap tries to create a point right on top of another point, which is not allowed. The "solution is to zoom waaaaay in. Zoom in so far that you can't zoom in anymore. That way, two points that are only .001" apart will appear to be several inches apart on your screen, and if you are lucky, SW will not snap to a previously created point. You should also disable all types of snaps before you begin, but for some reason the snapping continued. The only "solution" was the zoom in trick.