14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 5:20 PM by Kris Jankiewicz

ECN's

Corey Hinman
      Does anyone use Enterprise for ECN's? Specifically that include files other than Solidworks files? If you have documentation that would be great....mmmkay?

Thanks,
      Corey
        • ECN's
          This is something that bothers me everytime I see it asked, mainly because on the SolidWorks website it states that PDMWE "Automates simple workflow including ECN/ECO processes". Unless your ECN/ECO process is extremely simple, you're going to have a hard time implementing something without either the help of your VAR, or a competent programmer that can do something with the API. I developed something that handles our ECN process using PDMWE and MS Word, but if I would have known the time involved in doing so I would have contacted someone like InFlow to do it for me.

I am not knocking PDMWE; it's great, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
          • ECN's
            Corey Hinman
            I guess maybe then if we come up with a good solution I'll present it next year at the conference.
              • ECN's
                Jeff Sweeney
                The most common solution I have seen is to create an external document ( eDrawing, Word, Excel) that has a description of what the ECN is about and what needs done. Attach the affected SW files as a reference, then push the external document through an ECN workflow. Thus the SW files themselves do not go through the ECN workflow, they will go through a workflow of their own.

I hope you come up with a better solution Corey, I'd attend that technical session!
                  • ECN's
                    Jonathan Bravard
                    We are currently looking at PDMWE for our company, and would like to use it for our ECN process. This sounds like it doesn't work as advertised. Any insight would be helpful.
                      • ECN's
                        Corey Hinman
                        That depeneds on what was advertised. I think it will work well for what we want, but the configuration and setup is the tricky part. Do you have a more specific concern?
                          • ECN's
                            Jonathan Bravard
                            ECN's for example, can we have one number with many documents attached to it?
                            Can we have a ECN form of our own and have SolidWorks Drawings, Autocad and Office documents attached to it.
                              • ECN's
                                Corey Hinman
                                Yes. That is what I'm setting up now. A word doc (or whatever file) is the actual document that is routed for approval, you can attach (paste as reference) any CAD or other files you want included in the change, and they follow the word document through the approval process. They would be linked together.
                      • ECN's
                        Larry Kutcher
                        Corey,

Just as I clicked on this thread I was bringing the cup of coffee up to my mouth.
                        When I saw your avatar I almost coated the screen...I don't know why but it hit me really funny...

..Friday mornings are good mornings...
                        • ECN's
                          Larry Kutcher
                          "Don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."
                          • ECN's
                            Kris Jankiewicz
                            This has nothing to do with ECN's, it has to do with the forum. I didn't have any other option.

How the heck do I make a new thread!!!?? I've looked everywhere and I can't create a new thread. I can only make a reply in an existing thread.

I want to open up a new thread because I'm having some issues with PDMWE SP2.0. Do any of you guys use more than one vault server and replicate between them?

The problem we are experiencing started after the upgrade to SP2.0. In the ConisioArchiveServerLog I'm getting a mass of "Replication" and "File Operation" errors from the ArchiveServerService. The description states "An invalid argument was given to the method".

Anyone else have replication problems or this particular error?

-Kris
                            • ECN's
                              Kris Jankiewicz
                              Thanks Corey.

I guess I was so frustrated I didn't see that. If you ask me, it's kind of a weird place for it to be.

-Kris