AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dell Precision T3400 Thread

Question asked by Ken Kollin on Jan 25, 2008
Latest reply on May 15, 2008 by Pete Yodis
Hello brilliant minds of this community!

I have been browsing the SolidWorks forum, particularly the Performance section, in hopes of learning about the yays and nays of buying new workstations. There are several threads regarding the Dell Precision T3400 workstation. I would like to collect the experiences, opinions, and rants of anyone that knows a thing or two about these babies!

In several of these other threads to which I am referring, the nVidia Quadro FX 1700 gets mentioned as the reason for considering the T3400. This is also true for myself as well.

Please let me know how these systems perform! I am very interested because I am thinking about treating my engineers with the following systems.

Dell Precision T3400
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
4 GB PC2-6400 ECC (or non-ECC, idc)
NVidia Quadro FX 1700
Windows XP Pro
hard drives, peripherals, stress balls, etc.

I may have to get them Windows XP 64-bit because they work at the upper memory limit of the 32-bit OS (sometimes over... *crash* *cry* *repeat*). I have little experience with a 64-bit OS but it would be a crime to buy new workstations with such an obvious constraint, right?

HOWEVER

Dell has certified drivers for the T3400 and FX 1700 for 32-bit XP only. There are no certified drivers listed for the T3400 for 64-bit XP

If anybody that is using nVidia's QFX1700 certified driver for Windows XP x64 happens to read this please share your experience with me.

Thank you all for your time,

mexiken

Outcomes