14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 11:18 AM by Ron Bates

Visualize real world VS the demo files

Barry Shapiro

I've been using Visualize or several projects and the level of frustration is mounting.

Biggest problem is performance. Just to be clear.................My system is just about as advanced as you can get

Dual CPU 10 core Xeon @ 3.1 GHz with 32 Gigs of ram and Nvidia M4000 video card.

Here is the problem... All of the sample file you see demonstrations with are low polygon count. Even the Coffee make they show is only just over 200,000 polygons.

When I import my files they are typically up to 15 or 16 Million Polygons. Even the latest project I'm working on is down to 1.5M polygons but needs to be set higher because it still is showing faceted and open surfaces. Even Brian Hillner stated in the rendered content thread.

"To help if your Visualize scene is seizing, I highly suggest using "Appearance" part grouping mode when importing your files. This will reduce the number of parts in Visualize and help speed up the import process. All this is covered in the first tutorial "Import & CAD Live Update." Increasing the VRAM (memory) of your NVIDIA graphics card will also allow you to import larger assemblies and boost render speeds."...............As written by Brian

I am seeing this "seizing" which makes it almost impossible to work with. If my system can't handle this, who's can. I find it hard to believe anyone working with anything other than the most basic of files is not having the same experience.

What stinks here is that I find hard to go back to Photoview because of other issues such as patchy shading especially noticeable when rendering white products or in shadow areas. The patchy or blotchy rendering cannot be elevated in Photoview by using a higher setting or with the Accurate lighting box checked. I would post images but these renderings are of products not yet on store shelves, although one is about 8 weeks away. Those images were created in Visualize and are on the product carton.

I think Visualize has a lot of potential but still has a few kinks that need to be fixed.

On a side note: The decal video still does not work. Of course I'm working on something with a decal currently. Has anyone seen this issue......

Decal came in when imported from Solidworks. Showed up perfect in the Visualize on interactive render. Hit render final, no decal. Here is how the performance issue rears it's ugly head. Tried to add a decal and position it. Not going to happen! the system chugs along seizing and the decal jumps all over the place. And to top it off there are no numerical controls to position the decal.

Please respond if you have been having the same issues as I think people need to make these issues known.

Hope to here from some other users soon,

Barry

• Re: Visualize real world VS the demo files
          Brian Hillner

Hi Barry,

I'm sorry to hear the you are having performance issues. I completely understand the frustration here. That shouldn't be the case with the machine you are using, even with data sets as large as you are importing (~15 million). We say 5 million polygons per 1GB of VRAM, and since you are using NVIDIA M4000 which has 8GB of VRAM, you should be able to import up to 40 million polys before seeing performance issues.

That said, there is another factor that bogs down files, which I think might be the issue in your case. Approaching 1,000+ individual parts and higher, especially near 10,000 parts, Visualize will become sluggish in movements. There are 2 solutions currently:

1) Reduce the number of parts by choosing "Appearance" part grouping mode from the import window. This will look at your CAD file and combine surfaces of the same appearance into one simple part in Visualize. So a 10,000+ parts assembly could be easily reduced to 50-100 parts, since most things in our world don't have more than 100 appearances total in a single model. Cell phone, drone, car, oil rig, tanker likely wouldn't have more than 100 unique appearances.

2) If my hunch is correct and your issue is caused by number of parts, then change 1 setting in Visualize. Open Visualize and from the menu click Tools > Options > User Interface tab. Then uncheck "Live Thumbnail Update"

See if either or both of these tips will help your workflow and Visualize experience.

RE the Decals Visualize tutorial, our web team is still trying to find out what the issue is. This should be resolved very soon.

Thanks,

Brian

Barry Shapiro

Brian,

I'm usually under 100 parts. I hide most of the screws so there are usually only less that 20-40 main parts and 10-20 screws. I always use the Appearance setting.

I'm off today so I'll check the Live thumbnail setting on Tuesday.

Also, please confirm the decal issue. Am I correct that there are no numerical controls for decal position? At least non that I can find. and FYI I'm using the basic version of Visualize, not the pro version. This is supposed to be the evaluation to see if e want to get pro. Also to determine what type of systems we are going to be purchasing in the future if we replace systems. CPU rendering VS GPU rendering.

Any thoughts as to why the decal showed up in the interactive render but not on the final render?

If possible I would like to talk to you over the phone next week and send some images via email to discuss since I can't post them here due to confidentiality concerns.

Thanks,

Barry

Brian Hillner

Hi Barry,

You are correct, there are no numerical controls for Visualize decal placement. We are working on re-working our Decal system for future releases to jive better with SW decal system and also function better within Visualize.

For the decal not shopwing up in the final render issue, I tried all day to day to replicate and could not. What render mode are you using (Fast/Accurate)? What is the output filetype (jpg, png, tiff). I assume this is on a new SOLIDWORKS file, not a legacy Bunkspeed file? This will guide our search. Thanks.

FYI - the Decal tutorial is now working, so that might help a little bit!

Please private message me and we can discuss your issues.

Thanks and feel better,
                  Brian

Barry Shapiro

Brian,

I was out working on my house last week. (not done yet)

I re-rendered again after re-importing the file. Same outcome. The decal came in with the file and shows in the interactive render but not in the final renders. I tried both Fast and Accurate renders.

BTW this is kind of pushing the limits of confidentiality.

As for private messaging, I don't see an option for that other than e-mail.

One more issue which I think is related to the standard version. Is there any way to adjust the import setting or is that only available in the Pro version. I tried increasing the image quality setting in Solidworks but it made no difference and I still have open surfaces and straight line segments on curved surfaces due to large polygons or basically not enough polygons.

Can different parts be imported with different settings?

Thanks, Barry

Brian Hillner

Hi Barry,

I was just informed by my R&D team that we have fixed the Decal issue four our upcoming Service Pack, shipping this summer.

You can always private message me by clicking on my name just above this response, then clicking here on my profile page:

Yes, different parts/assemblies can be imported with different tessellation values. Control the tessellation directly from the SOLIDWORKS CAD interface. Is this the step you are already doing? I've double-checked it and it does work as expected. Higher tessellation values set within SW interface yield tighter meshes into Visualize.

Let me know if this process is not working for you.

Thanks,

Brian