20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2008 4:38 PM by Mark Cragg

Inclined Plane Sketch Projection

Mark Cragg
      Does anyone know if you can make a sketch project onto an inclined plane "normal" to the sketch plane? I need to project some sketch geometry from the "top" plane to an inclined plane and maintain the "true" end positions relative to the "top" plane?
      I know you can use "convert entities" but that projects "normal" to the new plane and lines are foreshortened. Is ther a way of reversing the projection angle priority?

Thanks

Mark
        • Inclined Plane Sketch Projection
          Tony Cantrell
          If you need to keep the original sketch, make a plane in the same location and convert the sketch, then change the sketch plane to the inclined plane.
            Anna Wood
            Is this what you are trying to do? The answer to your question may be in the following thread.

https://forum.solidworks.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=8156&highlight_key=y&keyword1=project

Cheers,
              Mark Cragg
              Hi Tony and Anna,

Tony, the problem with doing your method is that you loose the relationship between the end points in the vertical sense.
              Anna's link is close to my problem, I don't want to split the angle - I want the projection normal to the first "driving" sketch & plane. In other words if I have a 100mm long line and project it onto a plane running at some angle to the first sketch plane, the projected line should be longer (right angle triangle trig). IE. draw a line on top plane along the font plane axis 100mm. Then make another plane at 10 degrees to the top plane but aligned with the right plane and project the line (convert entities) you get a line on the inclined plane that is shorter than the 100mm rather than longer. This is the condition that I want - the opposit to the way "convert entities" works. Extruding to a plane would be good but it is very time consuming and untidy/ugly workarround.

Mark
                  Mark Kaiser
                  Check out the command, Insert, Curve, Projected. I think it'll do what you want, but you need a surface to project your sketch onto first, it won't project just onto a plane. You'll need either a surface or face of a solid to project onto.
                      Mark Cragg
                      Tried that - works the same as convert command. Problem is still that the projection is normal to the new/projected plane. I found a work arround using 3d sketching to drop lines from the end points along the y axis and then setting up a pierce constraint at the inclined plane (using a spline approximationthrough points).

It's a bit messy but miles better than any other method I could find!

Note: It only possitions straight lines and end points - the spline is "quite" rough.

Mark
                    Charles Culp
                    Mark, I still don't quite get what you are trying to do. I guess if you could post the part you used as a work-around that would help, or a screenshot of your workaround.

From what I can interpret, it sounds like you should put a vector in the direction you want it to go, and then do an extruded surface. Then the interference with that and the new plane would be where the new sketch needs to go.
                        Mark Cragg
                        Just tried to post the file but it tells me it's not allowed (it's a sldprt file). If you want to look at the file I can email it if you are interested but I will need an address to send it.

Regards

Mark
                            Hi Mark

Zip your file before posting it
                                Mark Cragg
                                Yep - that worked! I suppose that keeps the file size down.

Thanks

Mark
                                    Charles Culp
                                    Mark,

I have attached a file that I think shows how to accomplish what you were looking for.

Steps:
                                    1. Create reference plane for angled surface
                                    2. Extrude Surface from original to new plane
                                    3. Create a sketch on the new surface, and select the edge of the surface and "convert entities".

Is this what you were looking for? I have attached an example.
                                        Mark Cragg
                                        I am pretty certain I know what you mean - I did manage to do something along those lines but you end up having to hide the solid body. I wanted a more "elegant" solution if I could find one. To be fair, your solution does produce an accurate path for the curve (mine does not) but for this job, the end points are important - the curve is visual only and can afford to be a little less than than perfect.

I am certain I have needed to do something along these lines for a wire drawing die train, it was a long time ago but I would have thought by now SW would have the facility to chose which plane the projection is normal to - perhaps it would not be a hard thing to include in a future version?

I can't open your file as I have not loaded 2008 yet. That won't happen untill SP3 at the earliest! I had a real bad time with 2007 - once bitten twice shy....

Regards

Mark
                                            Charles Culp
                                            Well Mark,

I would do it for you in 2007, but it sounds like you got the idea. I actually consider this the most "elegant" solution, but I work with surfaces all the time, and I am quite comfortable with hidden surface bodies throughout my models.

In fact, Matt Lombard just gave a presentation on this at SolidWorks World yesterday, you can find a link to his presentation here: http://dezignstuff.com/blog/20...modeling-presentation/
                                                Mark Cragg
                                                Thanks, I got to open the file by installing the latest edrawings. That wasa exactly what I did already! I have just discovered that the curved part of my file needs to be lower than the straight part (it is a gravity fed overhead conveyor and the fall is dictated by length of travel). That messes up my idea of using a single inclined plane at the correct fall angle). Any simple ideas about getting the correct fall for the curve short of doing with trig?

Mark