5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2008 4:22 PM by William Dalpe

can a part change when not opened or edited

harold ross
      Hello I recently came accross some parts that I have not edited in about 8 months. these parts where converted to dxf and used in programing our burn table. Between the last time I edited them (8 months using Solidworks 2007) and today (solidworks 2008) when we burned out new parts, the parts have changed. We had to do some editing to them today when they where perfect 8 months ago. Anyone know is this could have been a glitch that happened when switching over to 2008? Can this even be possable of a part changing when not opened between then and now?
      Any advise would be great. Thanks
        • can a part change when not opened or edited
          Casey Gorman
          Harold,

There are a couple of things that could have happen. The one most likely is that when you opened your files in 2008 they were converted to the new file format. This would prompt you to save the files.

IF you ran conversions wizard, then it is possible that something associated with that file (a part if it is an assembly) changed.

I hope this helps.
            John Lhuillier
            One thing that has been known to happen between versions is surfaces & splines changing because of newer algorithms to calculate them but have never had models without these change between versions.
                William Dalpe
                John,

Wow.....that is a good thing to know regarding the splines. I'll have to keep a close eye on that one..Thank you for contributing that info!!

Harold,

To address your question....Now I don't mean to insult your intelligence ( I have sub par intelligence myself) so PLEASE don't take it that way but I have seen this happen with a couple of my guys here. If you exit a part or assembly after making changes and do not do a rebuild the next time you open it you may see undesireable results particularly with mates. When you close a part or assembly like that SW will prompt you to rebuild but will exit before you see the results of the rebuild. just spitballing.....hope this helps.
                    harold ross
                    None taken, I do rebuild it before i exit it but the problem i am havin is mainly in the DWG editor where I save my dxf drawings for the burn programs. As far as i know nothin should change on a part in DXF without someone actully going in there and changing unless it happened in the transfer over to the 2008 version.
                      William Dalpe
                      Oh...I see. I misundersood. Them I agree, nothing should change at all in DWGEditor and would suspect that you are correct about the 2008 tranfer but I don't know for sure. Do you still have a copy of 2007 running and a copy of your original file before opening it in 2008? If you do then you may want to try opening the DXF file in 2007 and then in 2008 to see if things change. I know that is painfully obvious but it's all I got...good luck.