3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2008 12:18 PM by Tim Hutchins

Lesson 2 of ASM Class

Tim Hutchins
      I'm running through the book for Advanced Surface Modeling because I'm about to do some ID type models. I'm frustrated with lesson 2. It asks to sketch the two shown profiles, one for a sweep path and one for the profile and convert them both to splines using Fit Spline.

Every time I run the sweep, it fails to generate it. The preview shows fine, but it still fails. Does it have to do with where the spline handle is placed? I can't seem to control that if it is. Is there anyway to determine why it fails? I've tried every different way of creating the splines (leaving the geometery, deleting the geometry, etc.)

Anyone else run into this issue when taking this class? I don't remember it from when I took the class, but that was a long time ago and the examples seem to have been updated. This is the 2007 version I'm looking at right now.

Thanks!
        • Lesson 2 of ASM Class
          Charles Culp
          Tim, can you upload the file (after .zip it)? I have never taken the class or seen the book.

If you are using a sweep, I always suggest creating the path first. Then select the path line, and the point at the end (CTRL select to get both of them). Then create a new reference plane, based on those two. It should use the path as a "normal" to the new plane, at the point selected.

Then you can use this plane to sketch your profile. Having a non-coincident profile/plane is a fairly common error, and the above method makes that impossible.

The other possibility for sweeps that fail, is that the sweep intersects with itself. Make sure that your sweep always has a very generous curvature in the path.
          • Lesson 2 of ASM Class
            Matt Lombard
            Yes, I get that same error.

You can avoid the error if you don't make the path into a spline. Or if you change the tolerance when making the path fit spline to 0.001 mm or something like that.

It looks like its failing around the corners.

Best of luck.
              • Lesson 2 of ASM Class
                Tim Hutchins
                Thanks guys. Changing the tolerance to .001mm did the trick. That's the one thing I didn't fool with when creating the sweep.

This is one area I'm frustrated with SW. It really needs to indicate better why a failure is happening. Glad this forum is here for help!

Thanks,
                Tim