6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 10:09 AM by Derek Bishop

Elev relative to sea level

Mac Baker
      I am facing two issues which I am aware of:

I have a part which I'd like to dimension on a drawing relative to sea level.
      The base of the part is @ Elev 1631' abv sea level the part is only 15' high.

I have typical equipment in my library which I'd like to place on a site assembly relative to sea level for coordination purposes.

Thank you for checking out this thread and for your consideration.

-Mac Baker
        • Elev relative to sea level
          Devon Sowell
          Hello Mac-

Interesting questions.

RE:"I have a part which I'd like to dimension on a drawing relative to sea level.
          The base of the part is @ Elev 1631' abv sea level the part is only 15' high.

Use a Note pointing to the Base of the Part stating what you need, then show the height of the part. (?)

I have typical equipment in my library which I'd like to place on a site assembly relative to sea level for coordination purposes."

I don't understand this.
            John Burrill
            Mac, what are you modelling, an asbuilt of a pump station?
            I wanted to weigh-in here, because it sounds like you're crossing from mechanical into civil or architectural drafting and at that point, I'd start looking to your downstream software to transform the drawing to elevation.
            Solidworks' model space is limited to 1000 meter cube. You start adding in elevation adjustments and other real-world location coordinates, you're going to run into that limitation and hard.
            What's the full story?
            John
                Mac Baker
                John,
                I'm modeling out mechanical equipment, and would like to send easy to use elevation confirmation to our structural engineers. I'm trying to avoid manually placing dimensions in the drawing. Their sections typically use elevations relative to sea level. I'd like to set one of my planes in the part to a set distance abv sea level and I would like other elevation points to reflect their ordinate distances above sea level as well.

-Mac
                    John Burrill
                    Without actually designing and dimensioning the model at elevation, you're not going to be able to add an offset to your dimensions. Revit can do this, so can Architectural Desktop er...AutoCAD Architectural. Solidworks: nah, not gonna happen without the API.
                    A design table, however is a possibility. You can create one and capture all of your elevation dimensions and then add a $user colum and use a formula to add an offset each one. Then, Insert your model into a drawing, import your dimensions, turn on dimension names, insert your design table. It'll atleast give your field engineers the reference you're looking for. It'll be associative, unless you need to adjust the offset above or below the datum elevation and then...I know it's sounding messier by the second.
                    Look, if you want a good-looking drawing in a standard format, you need to export your model to something designed to handle the civil side of the equation, even if it's plain-ole-AutoCAD.
                    This is probably one of the reasons Autodesk added the ability to xref an inventor part or assembly into AutoCAD 2008.
                    Good luck, man-Oh and I'd love to see a screen shot of what you're doing
                    John
                    • Re: Elev relative to sea level
                      Curtis Whitehead

14906 wrote:

John,
                      I'm modeling out mechanical equipment, and would like to send easy to use elevation confirmation to our structural engineers. I'm trying to avoid manually placing dimensions in the drawing. Their sections typically use elevations relative to sea level. I'd like to set one of my planes in the part to a set distance abv sea level and I would like other elevation points to reflect their ordinate distances above sea level as well.

-Mac

Mac,

I hope you are still looking for an answer. Try placing your assembly components with distance mates relative to the top plane. In your drawing place an ordinate dimension starting with the top plane for 0.0". All sea level elevations should come in as you pick them.

• Re: Elev relative to sea level
                    Derek Bishop

I've typically done the RL's on steelwork and civil drawings using sketch lines and notes. I did put up a request for a facility to add RL's on drawings in the last brainstorming session. Adding RL's to your drawings should ideally be as simple as adding dimensions. The idea was not popular. As has been pointed out above, SolidWorks is not really geared up for this kind of thing and there seems to be little impetus to change. Pity because with a few extra smarts that work properly it could be a useful tool for plant design. I haven't found the ordinate dimensioning adequate or suitable.