4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2008 2:52 PM by Basil Gello

Good old interface in Motion 2008, where are you...

Basil Gello
      Hello to everybody!

I have just migrated to the new Motion 2008 and now I'm slightly embarrassed by the new interface related to the Motion integration with the SW core. I understood that the good old mechanism tree is over except the files that were created using the previous Motion issues. Also I don't understand why does the "Export to MSC.ADAMS" option does not work (again except the old files where the mechanism tree is present in the visible state). For me it is clear now that SW Corp. takes much more money for the less functional software, and even without help files (I've checked the last available distribution package from the SW website, it still contains no help at all). So, maybe for the fellow Motion users it would be right to ask the SW management to return back the mechanism tree as a second (advanced) mode in COSMOSMotion future service packs? Or I'm missing something related to new help and whats-news' for COSMOS2008? Please everybody who experiences the same problems, share your solutions of the described troubles.

Regards, Basil.
        • Good old interface in Motion 2008, where are you...
          Andrey Aliamovskiy
          You are completely right!

Furthermore! Some elementary problems that COSMOSMotion 2007 solved correctly could not be reproduced with 2008.

Not only interface has been changed. Mathematics "improved" also!
              Basil Gello
              Dear Andrey,

You maybe also tasted all the new "benefits" of the new SolidWorks, preparing a new issue of your best-seller book, didn't you? I think the best way-out from here is to write the add-on what would be able to translate the parametrics and other part information from 2008 to 2007 and to use these stable versions as a default. Currently I started this work, and if you want to join or know somebody who wants to do that, don't hesitate to write me on vasek.gello@gmail.com. Hope we will force the SW Corporation to pay attention to our requests!

Regards, Basil.
                  Andrey Aliamovskiy
                  Hello Basil!

Thank for your mention about my (and my joint authors from Nika Software comp.) books. I had delicate problem while tried to formulate positive estimation for COSMOSMotion 2008 novelty in our last book . The most unbiased was that COSMOSMotion "has got interface identical with SolidWorks Animator and COSMOSFloWorks". The last event (new "intuitive") animator in COSMOSFloWorks) paved the way (to some extent) for me to submit with the unavoidable .

I think that the source of this not only the excessive creative of some people who are in charge for program interface, but more deep interrelations between producers and owners of the soft and mathematics...

So users should wait till "new" will exceed "old".

What about an idea to create an interface 2008 -> 2007, you should realize that it has to be done before new COSMOSMotion will be became really comlete! And who will by it? For my opinion here (in Russia) are not a lot of real users to pay for it.

And let's finish with the positive. Recently SolidWorks Corp. released Training files and Manual for COSMOSMotion 2008. They get partly help in familiarization with the program.
                      Basil Gello
                      Dear Andrey,

Thank you for a very clear description of your position I agree that now SW Corporation, as far as practically all other players on the CAD/CAM/CAE market throw into a deep crisis connected with the lack of the principally new algorithms and mathematic methods in practical enginnering, so they have only to "improve" the interface or slightly extend its possibilities to win new customers and keep alive. Working with SW and some other CAD/CAM/CAE software products as CATIA or ProE, I understood that the era of the breakthrough innovations now in this field seems to be gone, and for the real enginner it is the time to choose the best not the newest software. Of course we will have to wait a year or two till the new SW becomes a stable system, but till that time the translator should be very useful.

According to the obligatory question about the payments for the translator software, I think that the translator project has to be FREE and, maybe, OPEN-SOURCE. This is because the former Soviet Union (which I'm a native part of too same as you) there are a lot of engineers keen on programming, and not many of them use the licensed SW So it can be a real chance for the API writers to get involved into a really interesting project. As for me, we will find several guys mad enough to make a normal translator. Furthermore, it can become commercial if it is very good and effective in the future. So the project is not so easy as it can be considered first time.

To finish this wide post, I want to thank you about the information about the manual issued.

Hope my arguments will not seem you rubbish and you will agree with me even particularly.

Regards, Basil.

P.S. I could not find the exact location of these files. Can you post the exact link for it? I think it would be useful not for me.