24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 5:26 PM by Troy Starkey

Display driver 'crashing' when selecting sketch

Adam Lester

I am getting a popup warning
      "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered: Display driver
      NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 362.56 stopped responding and has
      successfully recovered." After this SolidWorks freezes and I have to
      restart. The error seems to happen when I select an assembly level sketch
      when I am in a view that is orthogonal to the sketch plane (e.g., select a
      sketch which is on the Right plane while in a view normal to the Top plane).
      Note: this is happening when I simply select the sketch with left mouse click.
      It also seems to happen more when the sketch contains a large number of sketch
      relations.

I have also done repeated uninstall of Nvidia drivers using Guru3D
      Driver Sweeper and reinstall with newest driver version. I have also tried reinstalling SolidWorks.

My system:

• Windows 10 Profesional
      • SolidWorks 2015 Student Ed.
      • MOBO: X99-PRO/USB 3.1
      • GPU: PNY Quadro M4000 (Nvidia)
      • CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5 GHz LGA
             2011-v3 140W (Overclocked in BIOS to 4.5 GHz)
      • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin
             DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
      • Boot Drive: SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0
             x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
      • EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.
      Attached is a screen shot of the error.

• Re: Display driver 'crashing' when selecting sketch
          Ned Hutchinson

Same crashes here since moving to win 10

Nvidida graphic issue.png

this was with old driver black screen Argg.

New driver same thing, happens when trying to open drawing of large assems or even going to edit a large part

Nvidida graphic issue 3.png

Glenn Schroeder

SolidWorks isn't compatible with Windows 10 until the commercial version SW2015 service pack 5, and the student version is always a year behind the commercial version.  I don't know for sure if that's the problem, because I don't remember anyone here with the exact same issue, but there have been a wide variety of problems with Win 10 and earlier versions of SW.  Try the fix suggested by Rudolf Van den Berg at Is anybody else having issues installing Solidworks on windows 10?.  If that doesn't work maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Adam Lester

I gave this a try but no improvement. For those who try the 'Windows compatability' solution just want to throw out that the Properties=>Compatability tab did not show up if I right clicked on the "SOLIDWORKS 2015 x64" Edition desktop shortcut. Instead I had to go to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SOLIDWORKS 2015" and right click on "SOLIDWORKS 2015 x64" shortcut there. No idea what that is all about.

To the point. Sounds like Ned and I are in the same boat. Again, have:

• Updated drivers using DDU for clean uninstall
                • Reinstalled SolidWorks
                • Tried changing compatibility settings.
                • Tried restoring default settings using Copy Settings Wizard.
                • Tried with and without RealView and most other rendering options.

This is a new computer build so was suspecting I might be a bad GPU but it sounds like Ned is having similar issues after Win 10 upgrade. Assuming he did not change any hardware at the same time this does seem to suggest a Win 10 compatibility problem is the issue...

Any other suggestions you guys can throw out? Dual boot with Win 7 would be less than ideal...

Adam Lester

One last update after a pretty much wasted afternoon.

Everything I have tried to this point:

• Updated drivers using DDU for clean uninstall.
                • Reinstalled SolidWorks.
                • Tried changing compatibility settings.
                • Tried restoring default settings using Copy Settings Wizard.
                • Tried with and without RealView and most other rendering options.
                • Intalled older SolidWorks supported driver version 354.35 (actually supported for 2016 but 2015 only supports 354.56 which is what I have been running).
                • Flashed BIOS to newest version.
                • Tested coworkers card (exact same model PNY Quadro M4000). Still crashing.
                • Swapped PSU cable running to the GPU as well as the PSU port it was connected to.

Think that covers it. Really hoping for some wisdom, I'm pretty stuck...

Paul Salvador

hey Adam... can you try or have you done a registry reset (rename to old)?

I notice you have 2014 as well as 2016.. so, can you reset all, 2014. 2015 and 2016 registrys (rename to old,.. or any other past 20XX install),.... and do NOT use Copy Settings Wizard,..

.. that is, a virgin install, so you are not pulling any of the old settings from 2014 and adding your settings later...

.. let us know?

http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2011/09/resetting-sw-registry/

Resetting the SOLIDWORKS registry

Adam Lester

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. Gave it a try but unfortunately this also did not solve the problem. Changed old registry directory name, restarted SolidWorks and accepted license terms etc., checked that a new registry entry was created and SolidWorks still crashed.

To be clear, I only have v2015 installed. I think I put v2014 in my profile which was a typo. The last version I had was v2012 (also student ed.) which was on a different computer. 

Saga continues...

Paul Salvador

..hmm... your screen shot shows 14, 15 and 16 installations?   ... darn,.. that was Ned's screen shot.. sorry.

btw,.. the driver you should be using is ... "354.56"   (and, if that one does not work.. try another old/newer driver)

Ned Hutchinson

This is my screenshot and im still having this issue, crashed twice yesterday, re installed graphic driver via clean

install the other day which i thought fixed it but no. Trying to run it today on compatibility for win 7.

Using 2015 sp5

Adam Lester

Thanks for the feedback Paul, but I have already tried 354.56 (current supported), 362.56 (newest) and 354.35 (older driver actually supported for 2016 but 2015 only supports 354.56). Do you think its worth just continuing to try every possible driver?

Paul Salvador

arrgghh... I'd exhaust at least a few of the older and new drivers to make sure...

wow,.. this is one of those.. your mileage will vary issues when using windows 10?

..btw, what is/was the student service pack number?  hopefully it is sp5,..

or,.. I maybe reaching with it being a microsoft security patch KB3072630 install issue? (do a search)

Adam Lester

Arrgghh indeed!

I've now tried all the following driver versions: 353.82 (oldest supported), 354.35, 354.56 (current SolidWorks recommend), 362.13, 362.56 (newest supported driver). No love.

I checked and did not have the KB3072630 patch as my Win10 install happened in the past few months.

Am I officially screwed on this???

Paul Salvador

..no, you're not screwed.. if you read back,.. I think you'd need to disable the KB and do a repair?...(not ideal, but it should work... otherwise, you have to (again) uninstall/reinstall)

.. another driver/test... disable opengl  (run Rx to do this)...  test the line/select/... does it crash?

..btw,.. you got me thinking because I also had this problem using another laptop years ago.. "not" the same graphics but similar crash... that is, when selecting a simple line.   ..that older system was using AMD/Intel graphics.. it was a hybrid shared/switching system (efficiency/ battery life).... when I made the AMD card 100% dedicated.. the problem went away!

My point.. (or, another reach).. if for some reason, intels graphics card (integrated into the CPU) is kicking in or is assigned to SolidWorks?..

so, there is a way to force (or test) your graphics card is driving your application.. RMB (right mouse button) over the icon to launch Solidworks.. "Run with graphics processor".. select the nvidia. 

Adam Lester

..no, you're not screwed.. if you read back,.. I think you'd need to disable the KB and do a repair?...(not ideal, but it should work... otherwise, you have to (again) uninstall/reinstall)

Not sure if you saw in my previous post, but I checked and I do not have the KB3072630 patch. I think this was released in July 2015 and I installed Win10 only a few months back. That said, I tried disabling procedure here and it did not fix things.

Need a little clarification on your other recent suggestions:

.. another driver/test... disable opengl (run Rx to do this)... test the line/select/... does it crash?

Not sure how to 'disable opengl' in SolidWorks Rx. There is an option to 'Click here to launch SOLIDWORKS in Software OpenGL mode". This does in fact fix the issue (no crash) but obviously I lose RealView so I'm hoping I can find a way to still use card hardware. Also, just to be clear, in Options=>Performance OpenGL is disabled but enabling it does fix the issue as well (same as above). Was this what you had in mind for me to test or did I misunderstand?

RMB (right mouse button) over the icon to launch Solidworks.. "Run with graphics processor".. select the nvidia.

For some reason "Run with graphics processor" is not showing up as an option when I RMB the SolidWorks shortcut. Is there any other way to do this? Possibly from the Nvidia Control Panel?

Thanks for persisting with me on this!

Paul Salvador

yeah,... debug can be hit/miss,...

" ..don't have KB3072630"....

Ok.. that's good.. and/again, it was a reach.. it mainly effects add-on's (like fea analysis)

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/97769

"Click here to launch SOLIDWORKS in Software OpenGL mode"

ok,.. that means it's bypassing your card and running in software mode,... and you say the crash goes away...

sorry, it basically points the problem towards your graphics driver (..or I don't want to say this... and I don't think it is but,. your card)?

"Run with graphics processor" is not showing.. (shortcut)

..ok,.. you say "shortcut"... make sure it is the "Solidworks.exe"  (image attached)

..and the reason I mention this debug idea... you may also be able to run using your intel graphics (bypass nvidia) and see if it works?

...my suggestion.. at this point, if you have not already tried.. do a clean uninstall of your nvidia driver..

Uninstall Graphics Drivers

..persisting,....yeah, debugging is a pita... but, I'm sure it can be resolved ... btw... Stephen Burke (Ireland) did a great job on the subject at this link..

Debugging SolidWorks – Part 1 (problems when running SW) | SolidWorks

sw-grfxprocess.png

Anna Wood

What happens when you run at regular clock speed?  Remove all your overclocks...

Alastair Cardwell

We had the same problem on a couple of workstations here but with Windows 7 and AMD Firepro graphics cards. In the 3D Application Settings on the AMD Control Center there is a setting for Surface Format Optimization. Turning this off fixed the issue for us. I don't know if the is an equivalent setting for Nvidia but it might be worth having a look around the Nvidia Contol Panel.

Adam Lester

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have had to put my trouble shooting on hold because of a deadline, but will try the recent suggestions given and give an update when I have a chance.

John Layne

We are having similar problems:-

PC 1 has Nvidia M4000 SolidWorks 2016 SP4 and Windows 10. Same issue causing crash have tried multiple different drivers.

PC 2 Dell Laptop M6700 with AMD 6000 card SolidWorks 2015 SP5 and windows 10, Same issue causing crash and have tried multiple drivers. Did change the Surface format optimization setting to off, and haven't had issues (yet) after one day of testing.

Any recommended setting on the Nvidia drivers to prevent this would be appreciated?

Michael Fink

Same issue here with SW 2015 SP5.0 and Win 10 x64 on a Dell M4800 with nvidia K1100M.

I performed clean driver installs both with 369.26 (latest stable nvidia driver) and 354.56 (official SW driver for Win 10 x64 and SW 2015), tried resetting my registry settings as suggested, without success. Seems I'm stuck with software mode, pls help!

Troy Starkey

Hello all,

I have been having this problem for years...since at least the 2015 version, and on multiple different computers and different users...all our computers always use Nvidia Quadro cards and are either Dell workstation desktops or high-end Dell laptops.

I must admit, I'm a disgruntled customer after dealing with SolidWorks issues for my entire CAD career (17 years now). I no longer deal with our reseller out of complete frustration. I've wasted enormous amounts of time over the years trying to prove that problems exist (since they never believe you), and then if you do manage to prove a problem exists, it takes years, (and sometimes never) for problems to be addressed. I'm still seeing issues I reported over 7 years ago!

I have managed to record a video of this issue that I have attached.  And as I mention in the video, I do think I know the cause of the problem, or at least what setting it is related to in SolidWorks. As others have already previously mentioned, if you switch to use software openGL, the problem does not occur. This should be a big clue to everyone that problem has to do with some setting that makes use of what video cards offer for added graphics capability. So things like Real View for example.  Though the problem is NOT related to real view.  So think everybody, what else could it be that the video card allows for the display, that the software openGL mode does not allow? Hint, it's also a setting that most users of SolidWorks leave off, since it's typically off by default on most installations. This also explains why this issue is not more frequently encountered and reported by a horde of furious users.

But I'm not going to tell anyone what I think the problem is just yet...so I sincerely apologize to you other users that are frustrated by this issue.  But my reason is that I am fed up with SolidWorks (the company). I want them to actually do their job for once and figure this problem out.  There is no excuse for a problem of this seriousness to still exist 2 years later in $5000+ software. And I'm also tired of feeling like we the users are the ones that have to do all the work, and spend all the time of trouble shooting the software for them!  In fact, I've spent so much time, and lost so much productivity over the years dealing with issues in the software, that my company now actually makes me and the other users here track our time spent dealing with issues in the software rather than actually getting our work done. We've done this for a few years now, so...