AnsweredAssumed Answered

Section Views

Question asked by Jessica Bartels on Jan 8, 2008
Latest reply on Jan 16, 2008 by Jessica Bartels
What is the fastest and best way to create a section view that is a .001" slice of a 500 part (large) assembly without ending up with a large drawing file size in the end?

Usually when I take an assembly and make a drawing and do partial sections through the large assembly, the section views do not update correctly, my computer bogs down, and the section view file takes for ever to open or do anything.
It takes a long time just to create one section view, the drawing file with the section view becomes a large file, and the section views don't always display properly. Some views show 50% of the components in the section even with show cut bodies only turned off.

so I am trying to figure out what is the best way to do section views to know whether I am going about it the wrong way, and the fastest way so that I know if that is just how it works or if I am missing some important information.

I can't believe the section views are supposed to work the way they do for me.

_________
1 sheet
minimum of 10 section views and a
top down view of a 500 part assembly

Each drawing view then has a detail view

I will have to check and see if I have any drawings currently that I can post.

But in the mean time,
I have tried and used both methods in the assembly and in the drawing. I can make them, however both take anywhere from 5-20 minutes to produce a section view and they don't always display the way they should.

When I open a drawing that has 10 to 12 of these section views on it,
I get a message that I don't have enough ram or that my page file is not big enough or that the amount I am trying to process is too big for the amount I have.
When I can open a drawing with this many section views on it, it takes 30min. or better. Not very productive for the time I am allowed for detailing. I find it hard to believe that section views really use this much process and memory and that the drawing normally takes this long to open.

I began trying to make sub assemblies and then do individual drawings of the sub-assemblies, however it took a while 5-10min. to make a sub assembly and then save it. Let alone spend time to create the drawing and section view.

How long does it take for each of you to do a section view?
Or is the time it takes me to do a section view the same as it takes you?

It is difficult for me to believe that this is how long it takes to do a section view.
Therefore, I am trying to find other ways that work better or faster to do a section view, or
I am trying to understand what I might be doing differently,
Or
what is set differently on my computer than yours.
If there is no better way, then I guess there is no better way.
However, then I am responsible to create or make a better way.

I have tried creating section views with the different options in the section view box checked and not checked.

is it better to suppress or hide items in a part to make a simplified configuration?

I will post an image today. I am pretty busy could be later in the day.

Outcomes