4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 3:56 PM by James Sharp

Visio

Tony Hayes
      Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to export a .slddrw file into Visio?

Thanks
        • Visio
          Anna Wood
          What file formats can Visio read in? DXF/DWG, etc.....

Find a common format that SW can export and try that. Look at what can be exported from a slddrw in SW.

You may also need to go to a 'tweener program to get you what you need in Visio.

What do you want the data to do once you get it in Visio? Is it just pretty pictures or do you want to be able to interact with the data?

Cheers,

• Visio
              Tony Hayes
              I have never used Visio before. Our IT needs a drawing in that file format. Visio should be able to open .dwg files but we cannot get it to open when I create a .dwg file.

• Visio
                  Anna Wood
                  What version of Visio do you have and what version of DWG are you creating? An AutoCAD 2007 DWG probably will not open in Visio 2000 for example.... :-)

You may need to save as into an older version of DXF/DWG.

Cheers,
              • Visio
                James Sharp
                This is an old thread, but I just found a work-around. Visio will not open any dwg or dxf I can export from SW.

From a SolidWorks drawing, I export an Adobe Illustrator (*.ai) file. I open this with Inkscape (open source vector application) then save it as a generic .svg file. I can import this svg into Visio and drawing views come in grouped.

I'm using SW 2009 SP3.0, Inkscape 0.46, and Visio 2007.