5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 12:57 PM by Steve Uptain

Good SW to Autocad Translation

Roy Potter
      This has probably been covered in other topics but I can not quite get the whole picture.

I am about to start detailing parts that have come from a designer using Solidworks unfortunately our end customer requires AutoCad files.
      The originator of the models has stated that they detail in AutoCad because the translation form SW to Acad is so bad. This causes time element issues if there are changes to be made. Also if there are configuarations you can not simply switch configs to generate a new fully dim'd drawing.

Some of the problems are:
      Geo-tols incorrectly displaying.
      Line scale wrong.
      Dimensions not displaying correctly.
      Moving a dimension hi-lights problems with the dimension.
      Fonts incorrectly translated.

I have received translated files and they are bad and are not good for printing and in some cases viewing.
      I have extensive experience in both systems and have not managed to get a usuable satisfactory outcome to this problem. I usually have to spend a lot of time correcting all the styles to meet the customers demands, after the export.

Does anyone have similar experiences and if so how have you got around the problems?

Roy.
        • Good SW to Autocad Translation
          Roy Anderson
          If you create drawing in solidworks then do save as dwg with all the mapping options filled in this works ok.
              Roy Potter
              Hi Roy

The mapping only works upto a point. Key bits do not translate properly and printing certain objects requires considerable work.
              Most of the complaints have come from my customers.
              Moving a dimension often requires more work to the dim style.
              It seems odd that a company who promotes the dwgeditor can't get the translation to work efficiently. I do not expect everything to go as an acad drawing but the basic editing should not be needed. Fonts/Dims/Linetype scales are a major headache.

I use to run a lisp file to correct all the mistakes but I do not have access to that anymore.

Roy.
                  Roy Anderson
                  Hi Roy,

Yes I know what you mean. Just hoped you hadn't used the mapping. I find section thro lines jump all over the place, but the rest is good enough for us. When I open acad drawing normally just clicking LWT box and use colours for printing pen widths.
                  Keep trying

Sorry no help

Roy
                Doug Heikamp
                Hi Roy;

I more or less have the same problems, and no work arounds. I have also discussed some of my issues with our var, and a couple spr's have been generated through this avenue, but overall I am still dissatisfied with the results.

The only thing I can suggest is to start / keep working with your var.

Best Regards;