70 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 7:56 PM by Dan Pihlaja

Places where the ESC key does not work

Jim Wilkinson
      Hi Everyone,

As you probably know, the ESC key is supposed to work like "cancel" or "close" when you are in a command, dialog, PropertyManager, etc.

I am working on a project to fix the consistency problems where the ESC key either does not function properly (puts up an error message, does not exit a command, etc.) or where it does not function as desired (like in the explode case sited in another thread where it does actually quit the command, but since it has workflow within the command, ESC works too strongly and drops you out to easily and loses your changes).

I am already reviewing the enhancement requests and SPRs related to ESC and we are also testing the software to try to find the cases. However, the cases are sometimes hard to find since they may not occur unless something else was done in a command, etc.

If in your use of the software, you find specific cases where the ESC key does not work as you expect, please post them in this thread. I will use this input as an additional data point in planning the project.
        • Places where the ESC key does not work
          Matt Lombard
          Oh, Jim!

You can be my buddy again. If you guys fix this, I'll stop swearing at the interface for a while, I promise.

- Fillet - when you are creating a new fillet, and it fails, Esc should dump the error message, but it just DONKs at you like you hit your head with a paper towel tube.

...I'm sure I'll find more, but this is the one that hits me 10X a day, and I still swear every time.
              Matt Lombard
              the shell command also DONKs at you, say when you put in a number like 100 and the shell fails. but it is less critical because the error is one of those balloon type messages, and you can work around the balloon. It would be nice in this case if Esc dismissed the balloon.
                Andy Sanders

Originally posted by: matt lombard- Fillet - when you are creating a new fillet, and it fails, Esc should dump the error message, but it just DONKs at you like you hit your head with a paper towel tube.

ROTFL!!!!

These instances shall now be known as "DONKS".

Dwight Livingston
                    Jim

Hit escape when entering text for an annotation and the text is lost. This usually comes as a suprise to me. I'd rather, after hitting escape, that the annotation was left in place. After escape I'd would expect, too, that selecting in the background would NOT leave a copy of the annotation.

Thanks

Dwight

Andy Sanders
                        If you right click on a Design Table in the tree, and pick "Edit Feature" -- then hit ESC you get the error "The current operation cannot be interrupted or the document is not accessible at this time".

You then have to click "OK" to clear the mesage.

After all that, you still are in the command.
                          Jim Wilkinson

Dwight Livingston wrote:

Jim

Hit escape when entering text for an annotation and the text is lost. This usually comes as a suprise to me. I'd rather, after hitting escape, that the annotation was left in place. After escape I'd would expect, too, that selecting in the background would NOT leave a copy of the annotation.

Thanks

Dwight

Hi Dwight (and others),

I am curious as to the expectation for this one. In general, ESC means cancel and Enter means OK. So, if I use the note command, pick a location to place the note location, type the text and hit ESC, it cancels out of making the note. If I double click on an existing note to change the text, make some changes and decide I don't want them, I hit ESC and it cancels out. So, it is consistent between creation and editing and consistent with other commands (it is also consistent with Excel and many other Microsoft applications that have similar functions). We don't use Enter as OK in this case because Enter puts a carriage return in the note which we felt is too common in notes in a CAD system and most users would prefer this over the Excel approach of having to use Alt-Enter. So, to say OK to a note, you instead have to select the OK button in the PropertyManager, confirmation corner, or a shortcut is to click anywhere in the graphics area/sheet.

When I hit ESC in SolidWorks while adding a note, it completely cancels out of the Note command and clicking in the background does not leave a copy of the note after that. However, if while creating a note, I click on the background to accept the current note I am creating, it immediately starts previewing another note since we auto-repeat the command to make it easy to create more notes without restarting the command. It does not place that next note until I click a second time where I would like to place it. Let me know if others find differently (as per Dwight's posting).

So, the ESC is working as designed in notes. That isn't to say we have the optimal design, but I would like to hear ideas on how we can improve it. One thing we could do to clarify that clicking on the background would accept the note would be to show a check mark next to the selection cursor when over the background. We could also potentially make it easier to accept or reject a note by putting little OK or Cancel buttons near the note edit box (similar to how Excel puts them next to the edit field at the top of the screen). Theoretically, we could make ESC inconsistent with other SolidWorks commands and other applications in this case and make ESC accept the text instead of cancel it, but for many users, ESC is second nature for cancelling out of what they are doing and dropping the changes they have made so we would have to be very cautious about doing this.
                              Wayne Tiffany
                              I feel that the Esc key and note creation are ok. You have added the nicety of starting another note, which most of the time I don't use, but sometimes do. And after clicking on the sheet to place the first one, I just hit the Esc key to end the command. To my way of working, this one is proper.

WT
                                Matt Lombard
                                Jim,

I have to admit that I have had trouble using the Annotation function in SolidWorks since it was changed many releases ago. I always wind up cancelling out of the command, or wind up with extra notes on the drawing. Fortunately I don't make many drawings.

The "Esc for Cancel and Enter for OK" breaks down in Annotations, because Enter gives you another line, which is what you kind of expect it to do.

With Annotations, you have to click the mouse THEN hit Esc to get out of them, which is disruptive to the workflow, I think.

If you are placing only one annotation, why would you think to click on some other location to finish the annotation?

I don't know how to solve it, but the Esc function in notes is definitely awkward to me. In that I agree with Dwight.

It should be some keyboard command that finishes the note, especially the last one. Maybe one Esc finishes the current note, leaving it intact, and two Esc cancels out of the command.

Think of the Mate interface. That one confuses me too. If you have two faces selected but haven't assigned a mate and hit Esc, you get booted out of the whole command. But if you assign a mate and click the green check, you have to click the green check twice to get out of the command.

Maybe Esc should be thought of as a single level cancel instead of a multilevel.

Why not just allow users to use the double-click on an icon to enable the autorepeat if they want it, like other commands. I don't know. Now that you have had it this way for so long, if you change it at all people are going to be upset about it because they have learned to work with it.
                                  Dwight Livingston

In general, ESC means cancel and Enter means OK.

Jim

Thanks for considering this issue. I would answer that in most other programs ESC means cancel, but I don't assume that for SolidWorks. I would say that in most cases the Escape key leaves what you've done as is and does not return to the state before you started the command. When I learned SW I had to adjust to that. So my expectations for SW is now different from other programs. If you were to go back and change it for all the other commands, that would be okay, but I don't see tha happening.

When placing notes, I try to remember to hit the green check mark, but I forget that when I'm hurrying along. Sometimes I'll do the click in the background thing, but that really messes with me, as I usually am not out to set another note, so the note copy is unwanted. I might set a few down before I get it back under control. It makes me feel like I've gotten something sticky on my fingers and I'm getting it all over the sheet.

That's my experience. Hope it helps.

Dwight

Jim Wilkinson

Dwight Livingston wrote:

In general, ESC means cancel and Enter means OK.

Jim

Thanks for considering this issue. I would answer that in most other programs ESC means cancel, but I don't assume that for SolidWorks. I would say that in most cases the Escape key leaves what you've done as is and does not return to the state before you started the command. When I learned SW I had to adjust to that. So my expectations for SW is now different from other programs. If you were to go back and change it for all the other commands, that would be okay, but I don't see tha happening.

When placing notes, I try to remember to hit the green check mark, but I forget that when I'm hurrying along. Sometimes I'll do the click in the background thing, but that really messes with me, as I usually am not out to set another note, so the note copy is unwanted. I might set a few down before I get it back under control. It makes me feel like I've gotten something sticky on my fingers and I'm getting it all over the sheet.

That's my experience. Hope it helps.

Dwight

I must admit, the note command trips me up at times too. The trick is to get the optimal workflow for different commands. In SolidWorks we generally try to stick to three major workflows for commands as follows:
                                      1) There are the types where you invoke them each time you want to create a command (like extrude, shell, etc.). In these cases, ESC cancels you out without creating anything.
                                      2) Then there are types that are the same as the first type, but have a push pin so when you hit OK to the command, the PropertyManager stays up so you can use it again. In this case, ESC cancels out back to the last time you did an OK.
                                      3) There are the types of commands that auto-execute (no need for an OK) and generally auto-repeat even without a push pin, like most of the sketch entity creation commands and annotation creation commands. In those cases, ESC should generally cancel out of the current item being created, but not remove any of the previously created entities in the "session" of the command. So, in the example of creating rectangles, you can make as many as you want without ever hitting OK to confirm them in between, and at any place along the way (evern if you have placed a start point for a rectangle) and you hit ESC, it gets you out of the command but leaves anything you have completed creating.

I think this last type of workflow is the one you say that you have gotten used to how ESC works in SolidWorks, but you are surely used to the other ones where ESC cancels the command without saving anything too. Other systems often have these various types of workflows as well.

I think all of these workflows have their place and generally, we choose the right ones for the right commands. If we tried to be extremely strict and only had one type of command workflow, it would be really annoying (think of having to hit OK between the creation of each rectangle).

The cases where it gets tricky is where there are slight variations to the workflow because of complexities of the command (generally when there are sub-tasks within the command). For instance, in the creation of a note, you need to place the note and type the text and then somehow indicate when you are done typing text. Another case is explode where it is a PropertyManager for creating the exploded view, but there are really sub-tasks within the PropertyManager so ESC cancelling out of the entire PropertyManager gets us into trouble.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the different workflows, etc. Again, I still get tripped up myself on the note workflow so I think it still needs work. I just don't know what the best solution is since sometimes users want to cancel out of creating/editing the current note and ESC is natural for that and most consistent with other commands, but there is no obvious way to end the current note when the user is finished typing.
                              Matt Lombard
                              When you try to make a planar surface and it errors out, you get an error balloon, and Esc doesn't get rid of it.
                                  Daniel Eelman
                                  When adding relations in a sketch, I have always wished that the escape would cancel the action without adding the relation. The issue is, if you start to add a relation, and it causes conflicts or is unsolvable, you have to either manually click on the relation and delete it, or accept it, then click undo. It would be great to be able to escape out without adding the conflicting relationship.
                                      Rich Osterreicher
                                      I'll second what Dan mentions about sketch relations.. That has always bugged the crap out of me...
                                        Jim Wilkinson

Dan Eelman wrote:

When adding relations in a sketch, I have always wished that the escape would cancel the action without adding the relation. The issue is, if you start to add a relation, and it causes conflicts or is unsolvable, you have to either manually click on the relation and delete it, or accept it, then click undo. It would be great to be able to escape out without adding the conflicting relationship.

Hi Dan,

In general, relations are automatically applied any time you select them, so if you apply one that causes a problem, you should only have to either delete it or undo (ctrl-z is a shortcut for it) to fix the problem. Unless I am misunderstanding how you are applying them, there is no step of "accepting it" as you refer to above.

If you are implying that in this case of a relation making a sketch go overdefined, an ESC should act as an undo, I am afraid that introducing a paradigm where in some cases ESC would do an undo may quickly lead to inconsistencies in the software. Then users may expect it to work as Undo elsewhere and if we implement that, then users may inadvertently start to Undo things because their natural tendency to get to a neutral state (out of everything) is to whack the ESC key multiple times in a row.

Let me know if I am missing a workflow where there is an "accept" that you need to do and hitting ESC at that point is not cancelling out. I tried the case of adding a dimension that would make a sketch overdefined and when the dialog pops up asking if you want to make it driven or driving, hitting ESC does cancel out of that condition and does not add the dimension.
                                            Dwight Livingston

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

. . . I am afraid that introducing a paradigm where in some cases ESC would do an undo may quickly lead to inconsistencies in the software.

The difference between "undo" and "cancel" is tough, and may look different from the user's and programmer's perspective. In the case of those Annotation Notes, I've already typed twenty lines of text and the Escape Key seems more like "undo" than "cancel"
                                        Wayne Tiffany
                                        "Block test and read-only attributes can only be changed by editing block. Do you want to edit the block?"

When this pops up, I think I would like to have the Esc key get me out rather than having to click No.

WT
                                          John Ferguson
                                          OK Jim,

Here is a scenario to what I would love to have happen:

I'm going along creating radii, let's say .500". So I move onto other things and now I want to make some .060" radii, and like any good software it remembers the last dimension that I used (.500" in this example) but I'm not as smart as the software and start clickity clicking around and hit enter. Now I immeadietly realize my mistake that a .500" radius will never fit where I have suggested to the software, so I hit Esc. But now I have to wait until said software realizes that it can't put a .500" radius where I suggested.

Wouldn't this be a great time from the Esc button to WORK!!!

Jim Wilkinson

John Ferguson wrote:

OK Jim,

I'm going along creating radii, let's say .500". So I move onto other things and now I want to make some .060" radii, and like any good software it remembers the last dimension that I used (.500" in this example) but I'm not as smart as the software and start clickity clicking around and hit enter. Now I immeadietly realize my mistake that a .500" radius will never fit where I have suggested to the software, so I hit Esc. But now I have to wait until said software realizes that it can't put a .500" radius where I suggested.

Yes, I would agree it would be nice to hit ESC during any operation to interrupt it, but that is a bit of a different issue than the types of issues I am researching here. Unfortunately, implementing interrupt in general throughout the software is not an easy task but something we are continually researching and we add more and more of this ability with each release in different areas of the software and in different commands.
                                              Roger Curl
                                              Hi there,

Just joined this thing and still finding my way around.

The Esc key problem is one of my pet peeves. I sometimes need to hit it several times to dismiss the Measure dialogue box. It has only happened since installing SW2008.

It took a while to get used to the new interface, but I am quite at home with it now. If only you can solve this and a few other issues it will be good.

Roger Curl
                                                  Jim Wilkinson

Roger Curl wrote:

Hi there,

Just joined this thing and still finding my way around.

The Esc key problem is one of my pet peeves. I sometimes need to hit it several times to dismiss the Measure dialogue box. It has only happened since installing SW2008.

It took a while to get used to the new interface, but I am quite at home with it now. If only you can solve this and a few other issues it will be good.

Roger Curl

Hi Roger,

I am not able to reproduce this problem. Is there a particular time when this happens specifically?

Others reading this thread; have you seen this problem?
                                                  Wayne Tiffany
                                                  Probably the one that I hit often and drives me crazy every time, is if I RMB on a config name and select properties. If at that time I hit the Esc key, it gets me out of that PM dialog as I would expect. But if I am there and then click on the Custom Properties button to look at the custom properties, that dialog box opens, I see what I need, hit Esc to get out of it, and then hit Esc again to get out of the PM dialog box. However, this time it won't get out no matter how many times I hit it. Instead it gives me an error box that says "The current operation cannot be interupted or the document is not accessibile at this time." Why?? Hitting the Esc key dismisses the error box, but hitting Esc again only returns the error box, and makes me madder each time. :-)

The same thing happens if you hit the Color button.

What is the reason this error box has to appear at all? Seems to me that at the worst it should be a confirmation box that asks if you really want to lose any changes you made, whether you made any or not, which is another point in that the file goes "dirty" if you even go to the Custom Properties area, whether you make any changes or not.

WT
                                                    Jason Capriotti
                                                    Here's a case in drawings that always gets me. Create a drawing view then select the "Break" view. You then select where on the drawing to place the first break, then select to place the second break and the view automatically breaks, but keeps you in the command to place additional breaks. I always press escape to end the commnad, then undoes the breaks I've created.

I would think this command would work like adding mates.
                                                      Matt Lombard
                                                      Here's one that's not necessarily related exclusively to the Esc key, but it is definitely a workflow issue.

I often want to make Intersection Curves into construction geometry.

After I make the Intersection Curve, they are selected, but I can't turn them to construction geometry because the PropMgr is not showing, I have to hit Esc or otherwise clear the selection, then reselect and flip the switch.

Wayne Tiffany
                                                        Here's another Esc key mishap, in my opinion. I open the orientation dialog box with a press of the space bar, but Esc won't make it go away.

WT
                                                            Jim Wilkinson

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Here's another Esc key mishap, in my opinion. I open the orientation dialog box with a press of the space bar, but Esc won't make it go away.

WT

Hi Wayne,

Just curious about the workflow where you need this...is it just when you bring it up by mistake? Obviously, we shouldn't dismiss it when it is pinned or it would constantly be going away on users who like it pinned when they are just trying to get our of other things they are doing.

If you do bring it up by mistake, it goes away automatically on the next action since it is not pinned so I want to make sure I understand when you are encountering this. We may not be able to easily implement it so ESC works to dismiss it when it is not pinned and does not dismiss it when it is pinned.
                                                            Matt Lombard
                                                            Here's another one. When creating break lines in a Broken View, I want to hit esc when I'm done, but if you do that it removes all of the breaks. I would avoid using Esc if you could put the green check on the RMB icon the way you do for many other features. The other ways to get out of the Break View without deleting your work are to click the green checks or hit Enter. I think putting the green checks on the RMB across the board would go a long way to eliminate the Esc frenzy, at least for me.
                                                              Derek Pepino
                                                              My ESC key no longer works for when dimensioning, making lines (or any Sketch entity) in Sketch mode
                                                                Escape in "Area Hatch" command does not behave like other annotation commands. If you escape after selecting a linear edge to create a surface finish symbol, you get the symbol. If you escape after selecting a closed area in the Area Hatch command, you do not get the area hatch.
                                                                    Jim Wilkinson

Wayne Matus wrote:

Escape in "Area Hatch" command does not behave like other annotation commands. If you escape after selecting a linear edge to create a surface finish symbol, you get the symbol. If you escape after selecting a closed area in the Area Hatch command, you do not get the area hatch.

Hi Wayne,

Area Hatch behaves differently by necessity. SolidWorks does not know when you have finished defining your boundary/region and therefore cannot "auto-apply" like it does for simpler annotations like notes, surface finish symbols, etc. For instance, if you want to select a rectangle with a rectangular void in it for the hatch, you need to make multiple selections before indicating you are done. Therefore, SolidWorks gives you a preview of what is going to create and does not actually create anything until you hit OK. If you have the pin set on the PropertyManager, then you can continue adding other area hatches which will be created each tim you hit OK. An ESC works as Cancel and will only get rid of whatever has been done since the last OK.

Thanks,
                                                                    Jim
                                                                    Thanks for the info Jim.
                                                                        Hello all...

Here to address Roger Curl and Derek Pepino delemas with the measure tool and smart dimentioning. I've come across the same problems, problem resulution is simple. TOOLS>>CUSOMIZE...>>KEYBOARD (TAB)... and create a shortcut key to toggle, on or off, smart dim and measure tool. Works great for me.

...Michael
                                                                      • Re: Places where the ESC key does not work
                                                                        Mario Molina

Hey Jim I had the same problem jut now, try to hit the ESC key while clicking on the sketch several times on a crazy way, it works for me, hope will work for you.

....Mario

Manuel Morales

HI JIM

WHEN I OPEN A PART FROM PDM APPEARS A WINDOW ASKING YOU TO CHECK-OUT THE FILE. IF YOU PRES "ESC" SOLIDWORKS CRASHES.

Dan Pihlaja

One area the escape key does work as I think it should:

If you have two parts open (or assemblies, or drawings, or any combination), and inside one of them, you select "measure".

Then, while you have the measure command window open, switch to another part.  Now the "focus" is out of the measure command and escape no longer works to back out of the measure command.

This happens every once in a while to me because I forget to escape out of the measure command when I am done with it before switching to another part/assembly.

It would be nice if the measure command automatically canceled when I switch parts instead of staying open during the change.

I am using SW 2015 SP5 atm.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Dan,

This is working as designed. The Measure dialog is a "non-modal" dialog, meaning that it can stay open between uses and it just becomes "inactive" while you go and do other things. For instance, if you are in the measure command and choose "Select" from the right mouse button or elsewhere, it will exit measure mode. The same happens if you choose the extrude command or something else. You can see that the title even changes to "Click here to measure" to indicate that you need to make the dialog active to use it again. It was implemented this way at user request for a couple of reasons: because often times users like to keep the tool up showing the last measurement while switching to other documents (so they can make reference to that value) or because they often use the measure command so they may leave the dialog open on another monitor and just go over and select the title to make it active again.

I hope this explains why ESC does not work after switching documents,

Jim

Paul Risley

Since we are kicking up dust on an old topic. Fast mating with popup boxes. If you select the wrong parts to mate and the pop up dialog comes up do you want to force this mate? Hitting the escape key should nullify the mate assigned, but nope it assigns it leaving the originals intact and now you have to click the undo button.

I have seen this in a few threads so I know I am not alone if you hit escape it should be an "undo" not just a "sort of type" thing.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Paul,

This one is fixed in SOLIDWORKS 2017. It now shows the following dialog and ESC cancels the mate creation completely:

MateFailure.png

Thanks,
                                                                                    Jim

Paul Risley

Thank you for the clarification further down on this one. I figured it was something to do with the programming. I am glad it is fixed in 17. Unfortunately since I just loaded Gibbs 2016 on our cam computers I have a feeling all of the goodies for 17 are not in my immediate future.(I was looking forward to the direct translation, instead of step files).

Thank you for addressing these issues. It is one thing that renews my faith in that people are listening. We as designers deal with problems from other sources all of the time and hear too often "oh this should be easy to fix/change/ or update" so believe me when I say I know that changes are not always as easy as they appear.

Paul Salvador

Esc usually does NOT work for... Surface features  (Trims, Extends, Knits, Boundary, Loft, Sweep, Ruled,..)  (or maybe we should call surface features the redheaded stepchild?) 

and,.. Import Diagnostics  ... the ONLY option, is to kill SW!

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Paul,

I assume you mean that ESC does not interrupt these commands when they are calculating. This is a different issue than ESC doing the same thing as the Cancel button/function within a command (which means cancel when NOT calculating). See my previous reply from further up in the thread below:

John Ferguson wrote:

OK Jim,

Yes, I would agree it would be nice to hit ESC during any operation to interrupt it, but that is a bit of a different issue than the types of issues I am researching here. Unfortunately, implementing interrupt in general throughout the software is not an easy task but something we are continually researching and we add more and more of this ability with each release in different areas of the software and in different commands.

Thanks,

Jim

Glenn Schroeder

I have Esc programmed as a Mouse Gesture in all four available SW environments, and as far as I can remember off the top of my head I've only run into one situation where it doesn't work.  That's when in the Balloon function in a Drawing.  Frustrates me to no end.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Glenn,

I just tested ESC and it does work the same as Cancel in Balloons. Balloons, like almost all annotations in drawings as well as sketch entities in sketches and drawings, are "auto-repeating" commands. So once you place a balloon, it is created and cancel will not remove that balloon, it will just exit the Balloon command. This is generally not what users want; they want ESC to exit the balloon command and NOT delete the 10 balloons they just created. Again, it is consistent with almost all other annotation and sketch commands. For instance, pick the line command, draw all the lines you want, and hit ESC to exit line creation mode (and not delete all of the lines you just created).

Are you seeing something different?

Thanks,
                                                                                              Jim

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Jim, and thanks for replying.  Yes, the Escape key works fine with the balloon command, but if you'll look back I was referring to having Escape as a Mouse Gesture.  No Mouse Gestures work while the Balloon function is active.  As far as I know that's only true for Balloons.  I can use the Mouse Gesture to escape any other function (Sketch, Annotation, etc).

Rick Becker

Jim Wilkinson,

January 4th 2008 was the start of this.

May 28th 2008 ended the original thread.

The dust got wiped off December 1st 2016

Eight and a half years is a long time in the software world.

Jim, can you tell us what has changed in SolidWorks based only on the info from this thread?

It's an honest question. I am not busting chops. I started using SW 2014 (or maybe 2013) so I don't know what happened prior.

Thank you Jim.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Rick,

Most of these issues from the original thread and many more) were fixed 8 years ago when we did the project to clean them up and since then, we have defined this behavior as default in all of our project specifications and QA testing templates. So, in general, the system should be very consistent now from this standpoint and I think that is shown by the lack of posts about it here and elsewhere in the forum. See my responses to the recent posts in this thread.

Of course, there may be certain cases that slip through or need special casing like the mate one that Paul Risley posted about above. This was a case of cancel not doing what the users wanted, not specific to the ESC key. The reason for that one was that the error case was structured to always create the mate; the user just had a choice of telling the software to force this mate to solve (Yes) or not to solve (No), but the mate was always created. The X on the dialog (which ESC is a shortcut too in standard MS dialogs) was a standard Microsoft close option that would just dismiss the dialog using the default option of "Yes". To solve that one, we restructured the dialog to have two more explicit options plus a cancel button that does not create the mate at all (and ESC functions as cancel).

Thanks,

Jim

Rick Becker

Thank you Jim. I appreciate all that you do.

Richard K.

Thanks for update, and the efforts on this.  But I contest the assertion that you fixed the problem.  Unless I'm misinterpreting, there are still edge cases out there.  I just ran into one in SW2016 SP3 when trying to adjust the parameters of a new, non-symmetric fillet.  I tried to click in the measurement balloons to change the radius.  One worked, the other didn't, and became non-responsive.  I hit Escape hoping to cancel the operation and try again.  The balloons went away but the software still thought it was in the middle of the operation.  Trying to do anything afterward gave the error "The current operation cannot be interrupted or the document is not accessible at this time".

Couldn't figure out how to get back to normal, short of killing the program.  Lost all changes to my doc since the last save.

Please don't reply "Open a ticket with your VAR".  Am weary of hearing that (and it's not your users' job to be your QA).

Scott Stuart

Check out this thread: Avoiding disrupting the Feature Manager Tree.... That looks like a good place for an ESC to cancel the command.

Enrikos Galanopoulos

Hi Jim,

I had a problem where I finished working in a part, and when reverting back to the assembly I could not edit or do anything!

I was still however in the edit part mode but couldn't do anything.

When I clicked on the symbol to make me active in the assembly, again nothing happened.

Error message "THE CURRENT OPERATION CANNOT BE INTERRUPTED OR THE DOCUMENT IS NOT ACCESSIBLE AT THIS TIME".

I read through the comments in the post and found no solution.

What eventually did the trick though is, I clicked on the symbol (again as said in my 3rd sentence) to try and put me back to editing the assembly, I then clicked on a line of the part I was editing before all this hassle. A dialog then popped up saying I could open the part on it's own. I then noticed the very last feature "Flat Pattern" was rolled back, I rolled it forward, and suddenly everything was back to normal operation.

Hope this helps anyone else.

Cameron Bryant

Hello Jim,

I just downloaded Solidworks Premium 2018 SP3.0. I can not close out of the measure window with the escape key anymore. Small but extremely irritating problem. Have you came across this problem before?

Thanks,

Cameron

Justin Hawkins

When drawing in a sketch, using the corner rectangle tool, it doesn't quite out, for more rectangles and just keep drawing more until it is clicked on the tick saying i'm finished with the tool

Frederick Law

Couldn't or shouldn't software test team go through all the commands?

To me the overall UI is consistently inconsistent.

It doesn't follow any Windows standard or logic.  One command use the corner, one use right click cancel, one use enter.

To me your software design team never communicate with each other.  Everyone design their commands their own way.  Not even a company standard.  An example, drawing scale.  How come the sheet scale list is different then view scale list?

Simple thing should the lack of leadership in designing.

Like other said it's been 8 years.

Let just say if I try to document all the place ESC doesn't work, I won't be doing my job at all.

Dan Pihlaja

SW 2017 SP5:

Escape does not work to exit the Freeform Surface Tool.

Jim Wilkinson

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

SW 2017 SP5:

Hi Dan,

This one is on purpose. Within the command, there are the Add Curves and Add Points "sub-commands" or workflows which users wanted to ESC out of. But when we implemented that, then users would do a bunch of work adding curves and points, then inadvertently hit ESC too many times (once to exit Add Curves or Add Points and then the second one would exit the Freeform tool completely) and lose all the work they did adding the curves and points. So, the solution was to block ESC from exiting the top level command itself. We did a lot of testing and getting feedback from users when implementing that. Could there be other solutions? Sure, but just blocking it from exiting the top level command was the simplest and therefore least error prone.

Thanks,
                                                                                                                      Jim

Dan Pihlaja

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

SW 2017 SP5:

Hi Dan,

This one is on purpose. Within the command, there are the Add Curves and Add Points "sub-commands" or workflows which users wanted to ESC out of. But when we implemented that, then users would do a bunch of work adding curves and points, then inadvertently hit ESC too many times (once to exit Add Curves or Add Points and then the second one would exit the Freeform tool completely) and lose all the work they did adding the curves and points. So, the solution was to block ESC from exiting the top level command itself. We did a lot of testing and getting feedback from users when implementing that. Could there be other solutions? Sure, but just blocking it from exiting the top level command was the simplest and therefore least error prone.

Thanks,
                                                                                                                          Jim

Awesome!   Thanks for the explanation.  I had accidentally clicked it and hit the escape key to drop out of it....and it didn't work.   Then I remembered this thread.....