15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 7:04 PM by Alejandro Carrillo

prompt for properties

Elise Moss
      I want to prompt users for information for filling in the titleblock - similar to the way Inventor and AutoCAD work...basically a fill in the blank dialog.

does SolidWorks have that ability and how do you set it up?

thanks,

Elise Moss
      www.mossdesigns.com
        • prompt for properties
          Devon Sowell
          Hello Elise-

I use a different scheme-

I store all information (metadata) needed for the Title blocks in the 3D file. Then, the Annotations on the Title blocks are mapped to read this data.

Combined with Pre-defined Views and Insert Model Items, the result is a Drawing that has intelligence and is created very quickly.

Also, this question has been asked many times during the past 9 years. There seems to be a program problem for "prompting" the User to do "x". Most attempts at this result in the prompt everytime the file is Rebuilt or Saved. The trick is to have it only prompt once, and never again after the metadata has been filled out.

I guess if it was easy, it would have been done many years ago.
            • prompt for properties
              Elise Moss
              well, it can't be that hard since AutoCAD can do it. <g><br /><br />The standard way in SW is to simply link all the properties in the titleblock to the model file properties.  The problem I have is that my users don't fill out their model properties...if I have a dialog come up to remind them and prompt them for information, that is a step forward.<br /><br />I did a search on the forums under 'prompt' and 'property' which came up empty, so either the search function is not so great, or the topics used different vernacular, which is entirely possible.<br /><br />I may end up writing a VB program to manage this, but I have to do it so that it runs automatically when the user opens the drawing template...that could be tricky.<br /><br />thanks!<br /><br />elise
                • prompt for properties
                  Devon Sowell
                  Hello Elise-

RE:"I may end up writing a VB program to manage this, but I have to do it so that it runs automatically when the user opens the drawing template...that could be tricky."

The results I've seen is what I stated before; The User Opens the Drawing for the first time, gets the prompt, fills out the data, Saves and Closes.

The next time the Drawing is Opened, the same prompt comes up again, even though the data exists. So the User has to check the data.

I guess the code could be written to Loop thru the specific Custom Properties, but then how does it check the input data? This project is not trivial.
              • prompt for properties
                Steve Rauenbuehler
                Elise -

I looked at a Custom Property Management system a while back, from Javelin Technologies. IIRC, it had the capability of "forcing" a user to add pre-defined properyies before a file could be saved. It's called PropertyLinks, and you can try it out for a month:

http://www.javelin-tech.com/ma...load/propertylinks.htm
                  • prompt for properties
                    Elise Moss
                    I looked at that...based on the features description, they are just leveraging existing custom properties (which you can already define without their add-on) and providing the ability to extract to an SQL database to make it easier to interface with a third-party s/w like agile.<br /><br />that's not really what I need...and frankly, I can code up a VB program to extract property data, that's a pretty trivial program to write.  <br /><br />i do appreciate the response, though. <g><br /><br />elise moss<br />www.mossdesigns.com
                      • prompt for properties
                        John Burrill
                        Just Curious about this, Elise,
                        I know AutoCAD pretty well and I haven't seen anything that will automatically prompt a user to fill in Attributes.
                        Are you talking about the attedit command which displays a form for them to fill in properties or are you talking about something that runs as part of the s::startup function in acaddoc.lsp (which would hit every time a file is opened or created)?
                        BTW, if you're running PDMWorks, you can set it up to require information be supplied by the user when a file is checked out of or into the vault
                        John
                          • prompt for properties
                            Elise Moss
                            when you insert a titleblock in AutoCAD, the attribute dialog will automatically come up...but I admit I've tweaked it a bit because I have programmed toolbars where the user picks the titleblock they want to insert and the routine creates a layout, inserts the titleblock and then brings up the dialog.<br /><br />so, I figured that I was going to have to do some tweaking to get SW do what I want...I was hoping I could hook to an existing tool, if possible.<br /><br />yeah, right now the previous CAD manager has it set up that PDMWorks will pop up a dialog reminding users they haven't filled in a description, but they have the option to check in anyway by pressing OK to bypass...so what do you think the users do? <g><br /><br />is there a way to get PDMworks to prompt on the user on whether or not they need to roll the rev?  one of the problems we have is we do a lot of R&D and obviously we don't want the rev to roll on each check in.<br /><br />I don't use the acaddoc.lsp method because every time you reinstall, etc. you have to deal with that.  Since I'm doing everything off the menu system/cui, the path for any routines, etc. can be part of the cui system.<br /><br />thanks for asking...<br /><br />elise
                      • prompt for properties
                        Kelvin Lamport
                        No, I don't use it. I am the only SW user so have no need for it.

I believe I tried it (out of curiosity) back in SW06, but I don't remember how well it worked or anything else about it ... so maybe not.

What was in the zip file is all I have; if anything is missing you will have to contact the author for it. His email is in the ReadMe file.
                          • prompt for properties
                            Kelvin Lamport
                            After digging around in one of my back-up disks, I found this version of the same add-in. It has the reg file.
                              • prompt for properties
                                Devon Sowell
                                Hello Kelvin-

Thanks for posting this application.

It sorta works, but not completely.

It will check and force the input on the Summary Tab of the File Properties, but I couldn't get it to force the input of Data in the Custom Property Tab. It is clunky in that it checks each Summary Data Field one at a time, so the User gets multiple error messages one at a time until all the Summary Data is entered. Maybe someone else will have better luck. I tried it on a 2007 Part file only. Since the source code is not included, I can't look at the code.
                            • Re: prompt for properties
                              Alejandro Carrillo

Hi,

There is a macro that asigns a consecutive number to the file when saving (search for panel numbering discussion). I mention this because this macro is run directly when starting SW, you acomplish this by modifying the direct access to SW, it's something like adding '/b' or '/m' when running SW. This way you could execute your macro the very moment you start SW and you could have the macro call for input in the "Property Tab" so the user may be forced to pick info from scroll boxes and stuff so no garbage is stored.

Maybe this is utopic, since I do not know much about programming macros I'm not sure if this could work, just an idea.

Saludos.