9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2008 5:03 PM by Robert Chave

2008-2007

david claude
      Hi. We just got SW 2008 at work and i'm using 2007 education version. How do I open the 2008 files in the 2007 version.

Thank you.

DC
        • 2008-2007
          Kelvin Lamport
          You can't. Very few 3D CAD systems are "backwards compatible".

Best you can do is "Save as" a parasolid file in SW08. SW07 will be able to open that, but it will not have features.
            • 2008-2007
              Simon Oldfield
              SolidWorks really need to address this, its causing us many problems as we have some suppliers/consultants using 2007 and some using 2008, not having backwards compatability is a huge oversight!
                • 2008-2007
                  Martin Stokes

Simon Oldfield wrote:

SolidWorks really need to address this, its causing us many problems as we have some suppliers/consultants using 2007 and some using 2008, not having backwards compatability is a huge oversight!

But how do you handle features that don't exist in previous versions....
                    • 2008-2007
                      Simon Oldfield
                      Are there such features??

If they do exist then maybe they should become dumb, whilst leaving everything else intelligent, im sure there is a way.
                        • 2008-2007
                          Martin Stokes

Simon Oldfield wrote:

Are there such features??

You bet, I'm not completely sure of the timeline, but for example;

- Surfacing only came in with SW2003 (?) I think. Multibody parts also came in at about that time.
                          - None of the 'tweak' features like freeform and flex exist in versions previous to 2004.

If you had these features as 'dumb' in previous version, and if they were key features in the model construction, I'm guessing it would seriously compromise your ability to edit the part.

Agreed, would be a nice feature, but I won't be holding my breath.....

Regards

Martin
                    • 2008-2007
                      Robert Chave
                      Hi Kevin,

There is a lot of banter on this topic, but your answer is wonderfully specific.

So you feel that in trying to transmit as much information as you reasonably can back from 2008 to 2007 a parasolid is the best vehicle? Is the STEP process not as satisfactory?

What do you all think?

Best,

Robert
                    • 2008-2007
                      Jason Capriotti
                      I think if it was easy to do, the other competitors to SolidWorks would've done it already. This is Word, Excel, or even AutoCAD where they are just dealing with lines and text. Parametric modeling has features with underlying algorithms that solve those features. You may not realize it, but a feature that hasn't appeared to change from one version to another might have actually changed in the way it solves or internally builds the feature, perhaps to make it more robust or increase performance. Saving a file back may destroy that feature, or if it works, it could open up other problems in the geometry not immediately seen. You guys think its bad now with corrupt files or bad geometry not getting caught; this will increase the problem much more and probably flood tech support with bad or misbehaving files.

As an alternative, and what may be possible, or at least easier, is a sort of intermediate step that allows users on two versions to work together. Maybe they could provide a way to save the file such that the solid body information needed for the previous version could be read in a read-only fashion. Somewhat like exporting/importing the file but you don't have to go through the hassle. Face names and other IDs should be maintained and readable by the older version so that mates and stuff will continue to work.

For example, a 2008 file saved with this option on would be readable by 2007 but only as far as body, planes, and custom text properties go. The part would never rebuild, the feature tree may not even be available or would not be editable.
                      • 2008-2007
                        John Burrill
                        David, one point that hasn't been addressed is that the educational version is not compatible with the professional version of the software.
                        I'm afraid I have to echo Matt's suspicions on this matter. While jason's right about the underlying code that processes the features, the parameters the data doesn't really change. An extrude in 2007 has most of the same parameters as an extrude in 2006. Now if you use an extrusion vector, which wasn't introduced until 2007, then you've got a dilema, but I don't see how the organizational structure of the file is going to be so different that an earlier release can't do anything with it. We've had the same release of Ansys for two years now and it doesn't have any problems reading files from Solidworks. In the very least you ought to be able to get at the geometry and metadata