8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2008 2:44 PM by Jim Wilkinson

Dual screens

Carey Chang
      I'm new to having a dual screen workstation and wanted to know how to set SW up to take advantage of both screens. I'd like to place the toolbars and Design Manager windows on one screen and have the workspace on the other screen. I saw there were a few discussions on this already, but I can't figure out how to get SW to operate on both screens at the same time.

I'm running a nVidia Quadro FX 4000 SDI on a Xeon 3GHz dual core, 4GB RAM. Any advice?

Thanks!
        • Dual screens
          Matt Lombard
          SW doesn't currently have any way to really take advantage of a dual screen arrangement. You could manually stretch the application window so that the FeatureManager goes to a second monitor, but you cannot detach the FM. I use dual monitors, and just put SW on one and email/browser on the other.
          • Dual screens
            Kevan Chapman
            I use a Dual scrren setup and find it works best with SW on the Left 22" with the SW 'Task Pane' on the LH side of the other monitor on the right. This allows for the largest amount of screen (work space) to be used and still allows room on the RH monitor for other apps.
            • Dual screens
              Carey Chang
              I see, I'll try out some different layouts and settle on what works best then.

Thanks!
              • Dual screens
                Brian I
                I've been running dual monitors for a while, and as long as both of your monitors are the same size, the best that I have found is to use the right for sw model & drawing area with the file tree & most of my icons on the right edge of the left screen.
                But recently I have gotten an upgrade to a 22" acer wide screen for 1 monitor, with this arrangement it works better to have SW all on the acer and everything else on my 19"

Now if I can just find a way do have my pop up menus to come up where I want them, & not the default location (i.e. the left screen....)

Brian Inzer
                SW user since 98
                home made asus 4 core 2.4Ghz 2g ram
                  • Dual screens
                    Mike Puckett
                    Guys, there is a discussion going on that was generated by Solidworks to get input as to what dual monitor support means to everyone. It was the number one enhancement request at Solidworks World. Based on those two item, I would believe they are working on getting it implemented.

Here is the thread to add your suggestions to:

Dual Monitor Support Thread
                    • Dual screens
                      Jim Wilkinson

Brian I wrote:

Now if I can just find a way do have my pop up menus to come up where I want them, & not the default location (i.e. the left screen....)

Hi Brian (and others who want to give input),

I am in the process of trying to identify all of these mis-behaved cases where a pop up menu, dialog, toolbar, etc. does not come up on the correct screen. We have made some improvements in SolidWorks 2008 (including in later Service Packs - SP02 and perhaps some more in SP03), but certainly we have not hit them all. As individuals encounter mis-behaved items that don't come up where you expect them (i.e go to the other screen when they should not), please post them here so I can make sure we investigate those cases.

Thanks,
                      Jim