7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2007 4:09 PM by 1-9C36HC

How To - Create Surfaces From Point Cloud

First let me say that I do very little with surfaces.

That said, what I need to do is create "surfaces" from point cloud data.

I can bring the "points" into SW (2008-SP1.1) ok with a 3D sketch.

I then need to "connect the dots" to form a grids which I have done with the "line" command.

Now I am stuck. How do I create surfaces for each "grid".

I am attaching a simple example. There are 8 grids that need to have a "surface" appied to them.

Thanks in advance.

Don A
        • How To - Create Surfaces From Point Cloud
          Matt Lombard
          Use the loft surface or boundary surface.

If you do anything more complex than the one you show, you might want to use splines rather than lines.
              Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried both "lines" and "spline" as well as Loft and Boundary surface.

I could get the loft and boundary surface to "sorta" work. Seemed like they had a mind of their own when I tried selecting line/spline.

Probably just my ignorance as to "how to". All I want to do is fill in each grid with a surface.

Seems simple but simple is only when one knows how. I do not. Any additional help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Don A
                  Matt Lombard
                  There is a more automated way to do it, but it requires the ScanTo3D software which is part of the Premium package.

It also depends on if you need these surfaces to be flat or nicely blended together.

There are also other software packages which enable this kind of thing, although I don't have a lot of details. For free, you can try Rhino, at www.rhino3d.com. I think they have their own forum which would be a good place to ask about it.
                  Hi Matt,

I think I got it.

Was able to get the "Loft" to work.

Its all in knowing what and HOW to select.

Sure is a lot of work though. Wish there was another - EASIER - way.

The model was just a sample.

The real model/surface may have well over 500 individual grids. I.E. A very long day
                  Kevin Quigley
                  You might also take a look at VX. They have a surfacing command that does exactly what you need - places an untrimmed nurbs surface on a point cloud data set. Rhino would be cheaper though and I "think" you can do it in that as well (not tried in Rhino). Why not send the file to a SW VAR and ask then to show you what Scan to 3D can achieve?

Edit - just looked at the file.....you don't need Rhino or VX for this! SW will handle this perfectly well.
                    Don,

Are you really looking to make individual surfaces from each grid (4 points) or do you want one overall suraface? Boundary should be able to handle this pretty well (see attached). Make sure that you explore the options in boundary called "Next Curve" and "next Sharp". These control how the surface behaves from curve to curve. Of course, as Matt has mentioned, you might want to use splines rather than lines to get a smoother solution.