21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2008 7:33 PM by Joy Garon

PDMWE addins

Steven Naylor
      Since upgrading to PDMWE 2008 we are struggling when adding addins, after adding and addin via any PC on the network including the supplied dispatch.dll addin all the other clients get an error message saying that the addin failed to extract. The file format is not recognized. Any suggestions would be great.
        • PDMWE addins
          Jeff Sweeney
          Were the addins created with .NET? (Addins created with VB6 will not work.)

Are you using the dispatch addin that came with 2008?
            • PDMWE addins
              Steven Naylor
              Yes my addins were created using VS2005 and did work fine in PDMWE2007. Yes i tried the dispatch addin with the same result. I have also reinstalled the clients, deleted and recreated the view, used regsvr32 to register the edminterface.dll. checked the user as enough permissions, logged in as administrator on the same machine. All resulted in the same error message, see attatched screen shot.

• PDMWE addins
                  Martin Stokes
                  Steve, we've had the same problem with PDMWE 2008 SP0.0 - add-ins worked fine in 2007...

Are you saying that the add-ins fail on SP1.0 as well?

We've reported this to Solidworks, but we've been told that the issue rests with our permissions and such, and not with PDMWE.

At least we're not alone.

Martin
                    • PDMWE addins
                      Steven Naylor
                      Hi Martin, Yes we upgraded to SP1, we then found that users need at least power users rights on the local machine before they can run PDM so we scripted that in on startup, but we still have the problem with add ins and that error message. Again we tried it with the dispatch.dll provided with sp1 download and it made no diffrence. I have reported it to our VAR and they have replied saying that solidworks are looking into the issue as we speak. Fingers crossed we should have a fix soon, i will let you know how we go on. A word of warning, you must upgrade SQL2005 to SP2 before upgrading pdm to sp1
                        • PDMWE addins
                          Martin Stokes
                          Steve - Good to know that you've reported it, as we've not had any response from Solidworks yet that acknowledges this as a problem. It's certainly denting our PDM rollout plan at the moment...

Regards
                            • PDMWE addins
                              Steven Naylor
                              We have the same dilema, PDM is a great product but we keep running into little bugs that stop us from rolling it out. I am not sure that it deserves to have the word enterprise in its title yet! at least not until the stability issues have been sorted.
                                • PDMWE addins
                                  Joy Garon
                                  Hi Steve and Martin -

I'm jumping into this thread a bit late, so please forgive me if you have already done this. I noticed that the error was an issue extracting the application from a specified path. Have you tried uninstalling the add-in, rebooting the machine and then re-adding the add-in?
                                  I have been running add-ins on 2008 without issue, however, it was a clean 2008 install so there was no upgrade involved.

Joy

also, did you addin the Interop.Edmlib.dll (see attached image)
                      • PDMWE addins
                        Martin Stokes
                        Joy

We've uninstalled, re-installed, uninstalled again, changed workstations, re-installed, created new vaults in PDMWE 2008, rebooted.......

Not sure about adding in the .dll - I'll check this out on Monday when I get to work.

Nothing seems to fix this as yet and I'm determined to keep this thread alive until there's a solution.

Martin
                        • PDMWE addins
                          Martin Stokes
                          Hi Joy

Yes - they are 'on the case' - no SR number as far as I know...

Martin
                            • PDMWE addins
                              Steven Naylor
                              Hi Martin,
                              Just to keep you updated, we have had our VAR and solidworks tech dialed in to our site for 2 hours today, at the momment they cannot find any problems other than the fact that the addins just dont work, they have taken a copy of our vault(sql part) and are recreating it at SW to see if they can replicate it and troubleshoot it.
                            • PDMWE addins
                              Do your client machines have .NET 2 installed? I experienced this problem because I develop my add-ins using VS2008 (previously 2005) and the deployment machines did not have .NET 2 installed.
                              • PDMWE addins
                                Martin Stokes
                                Quick update on our progress.

We created a brand new vault in Conisio 8.1 (PDMWE 2008 SP1.1) and the add-ins appear to load okay and continue working. However, on our previous test vault, which was migrated from a Conisio v7 vault, the add-ins still do not work for certain users. We are now looking at what the configuration differences are between the two vaults.

I'll let you guys know if we hit on any form of solution.

Regards

Martin
                                  • PDMWE addins
                                    Joy Garon
                                    Martin -

Thanks for the progress updates.

Joy
                                    • PDMWE addins
                                      Steven Naylor
                                      Hi Martin, Thanks for this info, i will pass it on to our VAR.
                                      • PDMWE addins
                                        Steven Naylor
                                        Hi Martin, we think we have found the problem that is affecting us. When adding an addin PDMWE creates an xml file to accompany it. the addin will add in fine on clients computers unless you have scheduled replication running, in which case the xml file incorrectly gets updated with a version and uid tag at the point of replication. The tag is used in normal pdmwe files so that you can have independant version replication. However it should not be updated in addin files as the PDMWE client is not designed to read the tag and thus creates the error. To workaround this problem:- Remove all addins, Delete any replication schedules you have set up, add the addins back in. I am told that this will be fixed in 2008 SP2 at which point you should be able to enable scheduled replication again.
                                      • PDMWE addins
                                        Martin Stokes
                                        Thanks for that Steve - I've passed it on to our VAR aswell.

Regards

Martin