5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2007 6:55 PM by Eddie Cyganik

Link Drawing View Scale??

Diarmuid Boland
      I have many different views of parts on my 1 drawing sheet.I do have my sheet scale linked to a note but can't seem to figure out how to link the drawing View Scale to a note.
      Can anyone help me out??
      Cheers D
        • Link Drawing View Scale??
          Charles Culp
          there is none. This can only be controlled with a macro.
            Eddie Cyganik
            Diarmuid,

The scale of all drawing views on a sheet is defined by the sheet scale. View Scale Captions are only required for those drawing views that are not per the sheet scale.
                Diarmuid Boland
                That is correct Eddie.
                I have overiden the scale of some of my views from the sheet scale, so now I want to identify the scale of those views.
                    Eddie Cyganik
                    Diarmuid,

Scale can be defined and attached as a view caption automatically in the case of Sections, Detail, Auxiliary, etc. but all others must be defined upon creation. Views should not be placed on a drawing randomly for documentation. If they are, they should not be.

To clarify, a drawing view has to come from somewhere, therefore, following this rule, I've put together a couple of examples:

#1 See attachment "ViewLabels1.png" which shows a drawing with a right end view, Section A-A (front view) and a top view projected of off the section view. All Views are 2:1 via the sheet scale.

#2 Now I decide that a left end view is required in order to show some engraving. To show the engraving clearly, I want the view to be 4:1 scale, therefore, I would perform the following steps:

-> Select the section view and project a view to the left. (By default, the view scale is 2:1.)

-> In the property manager for the view, I check the box for Arrow and place a capital "B" in the box.

-> Next, I select "Use Custom Scale and input 4:1.

-> Finally, I RMB select the view and choose Alignment, then Break Aignment and move the view to an open area for better drawing view arrangement. See attachment "ViewLabels2.png".

The bottom line is that all drawings must be thought out. The layout of views has to be clear & concise. Main views are placed first (usually, one or more of the main orthogonal views) and some projections. Next, section, detail and auxiliary views are added until all features & dimensions are provided for in a clear & orderly manner. By following these basic drafting rules, you will be able to accomplish your task.