AnsweredAssumed Answered

Linking BOM item numbers to multiple configurations in the same drawing

Question asked by John Bjerke on Dec 10, 2007
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2007 by John Bjerke
I know what I want to do, but do not know the best way to achieve it.

I have an assembly with 10 configurations with about 100 parts each. A lot of the parts are the same. Some are similar, just different lengths. The drawing has a separate sheet for most assembly configurations. I want all of the same part numbers to have the same item numbers in each sheets bom, and if there is one part number in the first configuration/sheet1 that is not used anywhere else, the following sheets can not use that item number.

Example:
On sheet one, I have the BOM for config-01. on sheet 2 I have the bom for config-02.
BOM1 has items 1, 2, 3, 5. BOM2 has 1, 2, 4, 5. items 1, 2 and 5 are the same part number in each BOM. In BOM1 item 4 was skipped because it was in config-02, but not config-01, and item 3 is not in BOM2 because it was used on config-01 and not config-02. Hopefully I am getting my thoughts across clearly.

I can manually go through the BOMs and adjust numbers, but it is very tedious. Previous drawings similar to this were done with one "master" configuration of the assembly with all parts unsuppressed. This will not work for me, as I created my assemblies with different configurations of the parts, instead of adding another instance of it. So my assemblies would have one instance of a part and I would change it from 3" to 4" in different configurations, where as previously they would have added another instance for the 4" part and suppressed the 3".

Outcomes