7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2007 2:59 PM by Eddie Cyganik

Section view from rotated view

Noel Martin
      I did a quick search and couldn't find any info so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

I do a lot of symetric round parts and assemblies. Let's say I bring a top view into a drawing and want to rotate it 20 degrees prior to creating the section. Now when I try and section it all the normal points the section line would snap to are also rotated with the view making it difficult to get the vertical or horizontal line positioned.

To get around this I am putting a point and center mark in the center of the view, creating the section, editing the section sketch, then constraining the sketch to the point and center mark.

I have tried creating a new view in the model to bring into the drawing and that helps with the horizontal and vertical but it still doesn't snap to the center of the part as it would if it was a standard view.

Am I overlooking something basic here? Thanks for any help.
        • Section view from rotated view
          Charles Culp
          I think a screenshot would be helpful in understanding what you are trying to do.

Incase it is something easy:
          Right click on the view, in Solidworks 2007 the second choice is "Zoom/Pan/Rotate". Select that, then "rotate view" and rotate your view as appropriate.

Also, when creating a section view try drawing the line first with the sketch tool.
          - Sketch the line you want
          - Select that line
          - Then click on the section view tool

If that doesn't help you, try posting a screenshot so I can understand what you are looking for.
              Noel Martin
              Here is an picture of what I am talking about. The view is rotated 7.5 degrees and I sketched a line for the section. The line is coincident to a point in the center and has a vertical constraint. As you can see the sketched line is now 7.5 degrees from vertical (though the constraint is vertical, just not to the paper). At this point I put in a center mark set to 0 rotation and then dimension the line to the center mark to make it vertical in the view.

When the view is not rotated the section automatically goes vertical through the middle using some sort of snap. I can get the sections made I just wish there was an easier way to get things lined back up vertical/horizontal to the paper from a rotated view.

Well I guess you can't see it as I can't figure out how to paste a screen shot. I see you have your email listed. I'll send you the .bmp to your mail.

Thanks
                  Charles Culp
                  I got your email and have attached the file.

You can adjust both the rotation of the view, and the rotation of the center marks.

1. To change the rotation of the view (of the part itself), Right click on the view, click on Zoom/Pan/Rotate, and select "rotate view". Then just "un-rotate" the appropriate amount.

2. To rotate the center marks click on the center mark, then in the feature manager on the left, there is a "rotate" option. It is probably already set to the rotation, just clear it and make it 0°.

3. If you just want the line to be vertical, you will have to make a line, and dimension it to the angle you want. You can then hide the dimension with the hide/show dimension tool.
                Eddie Cyganik
                n martin and All,

Just for the record and per ASME (ANSI) and other drawing standards (ISO, DIN, JIS, etc.), in general, views are not to be rotated.

Sections, projections, auxiliary, etc., are to be created per their normal Type of Projection (1st or 3rd angle). Once a view has been created, then the child view can be rotated to suit viewing. In addition, the rotated view must be identified with a view caption stating the reason and direction of rotation (Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise) along with the angle.
                Example:
                FOR CLARITY OF CROSS DRILLED HOLES,
                VIEW ROTATED 7.5 DEGRESS CLOCKWISE

This is considered anal by some but it is per standard drawing specifications.