28 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2008 8:30 PM by Mau Ferrusca

SW2008 has lots of bugs

Daniel Hogsett
      Has anyone had alot of bugs with their SW2008? Here are some of the problems we have:

1. File, Edit, Window, etc. menus do not behave correctly. For example, under the window menu, I can pick a part to switch to and it will bring up another part.

2. Parts keep reopening. I can close a part and when I switch windows, it is opened back up. I closed one part 4 times. It will also show one part as active, but another is actually showing on the screen.

3. I can click on the "Design Library" folder and it says it doesn't exist, but yet all the subfolders are accessible.

• SW2008 has lots of bugs
          Charles Culp

Daniel Hogsett wrote:

Has anyone had alot of bugs with their SW2008? Here are some of the problems we have:

1. File, Edit, Window, etc. menus do not behave correctly. For example, under the window menu, I can pick a part to switch to and it will bring up another part.

2. Parts keep reopening. I can close a part and when I switch windows, it is opened back up. I closed one part 4 times. It will also show one part as active, but another is actually showing on the screen.

3. I can click on the "Design Library" folder and it says it doesn't exist, but yet all the subfolders are accessible.

1. See this thread: http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...catid=24&threadid=7685 - Although it sounds like it is happening more often, It has been happening to me since I started using Solidworks in v2005. Thus, nothing new.

2. Sounds like you have digital ghosts. I suggest a seance. Or submitting a SR. I've found that both are about as likely to get a bug report actually in the SR system, thanks to the reseller being the mediary.

3. Do you have both 2008 and 2007 still installed? Are you sure you specified the proper file locations for 2008? Probably, which means I don't have an answer...

And most importantly, have you submitted these all as bugs? Try ER's too... I keep no points of contact closed when trying to get my problems across, there's a lot of barriers between you and the software design teams.
              Gerald Davis

Charles Culp wrote:

...I suggest a seance. Or submitting a SR. I've found that both are about as likely to get a bug report actually in the SR system...

LOL
                Martin Philo
                Just today I had my Design Library disappear. After some searching I check the System Options , File Location and the Design Library location was empty. I re-added it and everything was fine. Can't say why it disappeared in the first place. and yes I have had a lot of problems. It is muuuuch slower than 2007.
                    Rich Osterreicher
                    Mapped folders routinely dissapear on me as well.
                    Mainly in my case, it's folders involved with RV.
                    I have my own Appearance folder, scene folder, Lighting Folder, etc.. mapped in the Scene manager.. The folders dissapear from the tree now & then.. So i just have to re-map them..
                    This also affects my parts RVappearances..
                    EX: I'll have a part with my custom Stainless Mesh appearance.. Open the part and the appearance will be gone and defaulted to plastic.. So i go to re-set th eappearance and my appearance folder will not even be listed..
                    So I re-map my appearance folder and re-set the part's appearance and it'll work for a couple days..
                    This behavior started with '08 also.
                    Folders have dissapeaerd from my design library as well.. But only a couple times..
                        Martin Philo
                        That sure sounds familiar. When my apperances change it is always back to default plastic. I am running a Precision 690 with 2Gig so it is helpful to know it is not a lack of RAM that is causing the problem. Nice to know I am not insane and the only person with trouble. I am having a lot of nuisance problems with drawings too. Dimension won't tranfer from the main view to a detail view ever. But if I delete them from the main view and select the detail then they import. Forshortened dimensions won't show up unless I enlarge the detail to encompass the entire cross-section then the diamters will import. Then I can reduce the detail size and the dimension forshortens and stays. Also have some wondering dimensions that shift position from the last position they where saved in. That is a very random problem. My tech support says I am the only one experiencing these problems. I would go back to 2007 in a second but unfortunately I have about 200 hours in this design. Everyday I think about it because I seems to encounter new problems every day and the hole keeps getting deeper. I even did new installations to see if that would help but it is no better. I think I am running at about half speed with all the problems.

John Lhuillier
                    1. I had this same problem during beta testing but was fixed since then.
                    2. We have this happen all of the time and it's not just in 2008. This has been happening since 2004 or 2005. There is no repeatable pattern to it and gets real frustrating. Will close out an assembly file and then open another one only to have it pull parts from the other assembly since it somehow remained open. This has been reported to my VAR but haven't gotten any "good" news about a fix.
                        Dan Riffell
                        Bugs? With 2008?!? Nooo...These are enhancements. You clearly do not understand what you need as well as the SW programmers do. It's all of the individual bugs that make this release truly customizable for each individual install...
                            Daniel Hogsett
                            Not only is there lots of bugs, but it seems like every release requires a new PC. We just put in a order for 10 new workstations because after upgrading to 2008, they won't run it worth a crap. I just got my Precision 380 last year and it doesn't run it worth a crap. On the other hand, I also have Pro/E WF3 installed and it runs excellent. I admit that SW is easier to learn and use, but that don't mean crap if you can't get it to run efficiently.

Dan

Daniel Hogsett wrote:

I get this problem as well. Never seen it 2007. There don't seem to be a pattern. Quite annoying. The other major bug that affects me is the command manager not changing to the "Drawings" set of toolbars when alt-tab'ing from an assembly to a drawing. It keeps the "assembly/part" toolbars displayed. I must close the assembly for the toolbar to switch properly.

Everything else is ok. Not to too many bugs pop up. Although, our models are very simple in comparison with other users.

Paul.

Jason Raak
                            I am confused by all of the posts on here. I have been running sw2008 since the first day it was available and I have upgraded to each service pack as soon as it becomes available and I have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. 2008 seems to be as smooth as ever from a performance standpoint. Is everyone using the SW Installation manager to download, are you using the DVD's or Internet? I am curious because I read all of these posts about horrible bugs that I don't have (cross my fingers). Let me know all of your installation procedures.
                                Matt Lombard
                                Jason,

Granted, some of the bugs that get reported here are really operator error, or set up problems, OS, hardware, who knows what else. But not all of them.

Most of the real bugs aren't crash bugs, although some are. Most of the bugs are other things. If you really don't get it, take a look at my blog post where I describe the "rings of fire"

http://dezignstuff.com/blog/20...solidworks-community/

This essentially says that if you stay around the extrude and revolve type features, you may not see any bugs, but the further you get from simple Alibre-type features, the more likely you are to run into problems.

To some extent, you probably are seeing the bugs, you just don't notice. Part of the reason is that not all of the bugs are new, but are carry overs from previous releases.

For example, here are a few with sprs assigned that I've come across in the last couple of weeks, not related to a specific part file:

- the search path functionality as laid out in the Help doesn't work as stated, and works differently in 2007 from 2008. The help is confusing, but it is worse because the software doesn't follow the help. (spr from many years ago)

- connectors in loft surface cannot be used if you have used SelectionManager to select profiles or guides

- (no spr, but definitely repeatable) by messing with boundary surface connectors long enough, you can cause SW to lock up or crash

- move copy body feature cannot be corrected if it loses the body selection

- rib feature loses track of everything if the number of bodies before it changes

- reselecting boundary curves in one direction causes all references to surface to be broken

- envelope component becomes hidden when inserted in a top level assy as a component in a subassembly

And then there's the colors vs RealView vs materials problems

I have at least a dozen, maybe two dozen 2008 beta SPRs that have yet to be addressed. Ask Lin Shao Din about beta sprs getting fixed.

Many problems that no one can get an SPR on, but several people share common problems like certain Tools, Options settings flipping intermittently without reason, Dynamic Highlight being one of them.

Sketch relation and mate solution problems all the time. The latest one (last night) was an Intersection sketch relation that does nothing. Not even an error. This is 100% repeatable. Draw a spline and cross it with a line, then draw a sketch point and select all three and assign the Intersection relation. The symbol shows, but nothing happens.

Other people have listed bunches of things. If you aren't seeing them, its because you are sticking close to very simple geometry or not paying attention.
                                Jason Raak
                                Matt,
                                I will agree with you on absolutely everything you said, including not spending a ton of time deep, deep, deep in the software. I guess the bugs that I was referring to was about parts reopening; design library not being available; file, edit, window etc. pull downs not working properly. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think I need to get to far into the software or pay really close attention to notice these kinds of bugs. These are standard features that I use hundreds of times a day. That is what I was getting at more than anything else.
                                    Jerry Steiger
                                    Jason,

Do you tend to work with your system very clean, ie you only open the parts you need to work on and close them as soon as you are done with them? That could explain why you haven't seen problems. If you only have a few parts and assemblies open at any given time, you aren't likely to have the wrong part come up when you switch windows, or parts that seemingly won't close.

Jerry Steiger
                                    What about the hide/show edge problems in drawings? We have had these problems since SW 2005 and they still haven't be addressed. Nothing is more frustrating that making a drawing with edges you can't show, or even worse, edges you can't hide. The hide/show toggle will work randomly with almost no repeatability and seem to really be a hindrance in our molded part drawings.
                                      Chris Serran
                                      I'm seeing this issue as well, using PDMWorkgroup.
                                        Jason Raak
                                        Jerry,

Sorry for not responding sooner, I did not realize that there was a response to me on here. I was absent from this forum all of last week because of SWW and then a vacation following. I actually do work with quite a few models open at the same time so I don't think that is why. Who knows? I did end up having TONS of problems with sp2.0 (I went back to sp1.1) but none of the other versions of the 2008 software. By the way, this is not meant to be disparaging by any means but are you actually still running SW2005 SP4.0? If you are why???
                                            Jerry Steiger
                                            Jason,

Bad typing. As you can see from my updated profile, I'm actually running 2007.

You don't need to apologize for not answering sooner. You answered in just a little over an hour. It took me almost a month to respond to your original post! I just started using the forum again after a long absence and have been catching up.
                                            Jason Raak
                                            OK, I actually made the mistake. I was looking at the post under yours that was written on January 21. Sorry. Have you done any 2008 testing yet? What have been your thoughts if you have.
                                              Mau Ferrusca
                                              here's a really odd bug i've been suffering: i installed Driver Parallel Lines game along with Solidworks 2008 in my XPS Laptop, and whenever I am playing the game, SW executes itself in the "background" (and then it minimizes the Driver screen) over and over and over again. I've found 4 or 5 SLWORKS.EXE processes within the Task Manager at a given time). I wonder if some process of Driver inadvertedly calls for SW but it's such a hassle that i preferred to uninstall it just to be able to play the game. It's SO annoying.