6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 5:44 AM by Alan Sweetenham

"Monitor File" Option Only For Assemblies?

Brandon Graham

The "Monitor File" option only seems to work for assemblies on this machine. When part is dropped into an existing project, Visualize does not seem to keep the link. Even when "Monitor File" is selected.

Is this how it works for everyone, or is there something wrong with the machine/installation?

Thanks

• Re: "Monitor File" Option Only For Assemblies?
          Neil Marten

Monitor File doesn't seem to work for me at all. It has not worked once since upgrading to Visualize.

Brian Hillner

We recommend to use the "Automatic" part grouping mode when importing CAD data into Visualize. This can be selected fro the Import Part Grouping dropdown on the import settings window, which pops up after you import a new CAD file. Then make sure "Monitor File" is checked.

Please note this is only the first generation of this CAD Live-Update feature. We are constantly improving it and making this feature more robust. Right now we can monitor changes to existing parts/assemblies, but addition and deletion of parts/assemblies is not supported yet.

This thread would be a great place to start a list of actions users would like to see Live Updated in Visualize. We can plan for the major ones, but there are so many other workflows and processes that we need your help to document.

Please reply with what actions (adding fillets, deleting parts, adding parts/assemblies to an assembly already open in Visualize, extrude cut thin, etc) you would like to see supported by Visualize's CAD Live-Update feature. THANK YOU!

Brian

Brandon Graham

This was apparently fixed after I addressed a seemingly unrelated issue with my sldpropertyhandler.dll file. Probably unrelated.

I will provide an update soon, but after registering that dll file, it seems to be working just fine.

If I were to request a feature, it would be nice if it was possible to re-associate a file in Visualize by browsing for it. As of now, if you lose the association, it says "No Original Source information for model available." It may be a difficult thing to accomplish, but if there was a browse button below that, I could help the program find the source file.

Jason Drotman

I found it frustrating that it seems any time I need to make changes to my solidworks assembly I need to re-import and retexture it. (I've not managed to see *any* update monitoring in effect)

Perhaps if there is some limited functionality, having a "help" info as part of the import dialog to indicate what does and doesn't work would be a good frustration-reducing measure.

It seems obvious to me that I should be able to put an assembly into Visualize and occasionally run renders as I'm evolving my assembly. (Adding/deleting/supressing parts and sub-assemblies). Obviously when parts change, it makes sense I'd have to re-texture them, but rebuilding my project in visualize for every edit is not ideal at all.

Brian Hillner

Hi Jason,

Please watch the first Visualize tutorial ("Import & CAD Live-Update) on the link below. This discuss the CAD Live-Update feature.

We are always evolving it, and the continued suggestions on this thread will help us nail down the expected workflow.

Thanks,

Brian

Alan Sweetenham

Hi brian. Right now it works pretty well for geometry updates for me so long as I haven't used extract part and then apply a new appearace to that area in SOLIDWORKS an then reimport . I'll document that issue and raise an Sr/enhancement. Other than this we definately need to support adding and deleting parts as a priority. Assembly cuts would be nice but we can always take a pack and go or create configs of the part/ assembly, add the cut then propogate that cut to the parts. It might also be nice to have a choice over whether new parts show up straight away, whether old parts are deleted from the project in the long term for comparison purposes.

Not sure if grouping or renaming in Visualize or renaming in SolidWorks affects updates but will test that.

Also I trained 8 of our team on visualize this week and they had pretty much  all missed the location for reimport model when you want to manually update.  If i understand correctly we can have multiple models in a project that could be updated. so If that is the case I suggest either have an option when right clicking on a root of a model to update or have a File update > "Project" option that lets you choose what to update.  This is what we have in SOLIDWORKS Composer, a product that should provide some inspiration  for dealing with updates aswell as moving components, setting pivots, further automation of animations etc. It doesn't get everything perfect  but it deals with similar issues. It was once a third party  product but has been made to work better with SOLIDWORKS over the years since it was purchased  by DS