AnsweredAssumed Answered

SW2016 Deployment Failing via GPO

Question asked by Dan Spahn on May 20, 2016
Latest reply on May 27, 2016 by Dan Spahn

I have about 50-60 machines that run SolidWorks- currently they are on 2015 SP1.1. I have a top-down directive to completely remove 2015 first. I am trying to deploy SW2016 from an admin image and have had nothing but problems. Here is what I have tried:

Installing SW2016 by scripting an uninstall of 2015 and a cleanup.

Results: 2015 completely uninstalls. 2016 installs all except the Toolbox/Hole Wizard and Solidworks (I have explorer, but randomly do not have the main program).

The script is triggered by GPO. All locations I mention have correct permissions. I have done all testing both as a user with our standard rights groups (Our users are not administrators), and also as a member of the local administrators group. Since it runs in the Computer Configuration of the GPO, the user should be irrelevant- and results are the same in both standard and administrator users. I can see the processes running and have added checks in the script so I know it is running and how far it is getting, but it seems to randomly skip the main SolidWorks program and always skips the toolbox.

Using GPO to run the MSI and modify with a transform. This image includes the directive to uninstall previous versions and to create a new instance. This is the most likely one to succeed- but it still fails most of the time

Tried running an alternate script that runs swinstall. It doesn't usually run.

When the installer doesn't run. I get no AD errors, and I get no event log errors- the program silently does not run. I created the admin image on a server, and copied all the files to file servers at the other locations.

Out of 25 computers so far, I have had 20 fail to the point that I had to manually go, uninstall SolidWorks, then run the swinstall executable. I would consider finishing the deployment this way, except the rest of our users are at other sites in other countries that I can't go to.

It seems to be a problem with AD running, yet I have checked DC health and replication health, and all seems correct. If I run the scripts that AD tries to run, the installation goes smoothly. Anyone have any idea what I need to look at here?

Outcomes