11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2008 4:51 PM by Roger Grounds

Windows Desktop Search HELP!

Neal Rusy
      Has anybody had problems with windows desktop search 3.01? Mine will not go out on a network drive to index it. looking back at other past forums this has been a problem for a while but no resolution. Is there a fix that somebody has found? SPR#398628 Worked in 2007 not in 2008
        • Windows Desktop Search HELP!
          Toby Robinson
          I have the same porblem.
              Neal Rusy
              The only workaround I've found so far is to download 2.6.6 off of Microsoft website uninstall 3.01 and install 2.6.6. You can't use it in SW but you will be able to search for files on the network
                  Toby Robinson
                  I ended up just uninstalling it and using windows explore to search.
                    Anna Wood
                    What happens when you right mouse button on the Magnifying Glass icon that is down in your Windows system tray (lower right corner of Windows).

Select Windows Desktop Search Options in the RMB pop up. Give it a second to list all the folders it is set to search. Then select the Advanced button when it becomes active. Under the Advanced button is a tab to Add UNC Locations.

There are also some other things you can set from this Advanced tab.

Not sure but this may help you in indexing your networked folders.

Also if you select the Modify tab in the Windows Desktop Search Options you will be able to select what you wish indexed there. All of my mapped network drive show up in this list for selection if I desire.

Cheers,

Neal Rusy
                        Mine shows up but they don't index it indexes my local suff no problem for some reason. I have added the UNC path I've even gone so far as to map a network drive right to that folder and it still just won't index that folder. Been on the phone with SW directly they tell me it's a windows thing. they advised me to go back to 2.6.6 but that one does not work with 2008. I have admin rights to all the folders I'm am trying to index check box on folder is set to allow indexing. What I am trying to understand is why some work and others don't, what's different? I would love to bounce this off to our IT department but we don't have one! so any input is greatly appreciated
                    Paul Lemke
                    Is there anyway that you can remove solidworks directories and remove outlook searches? They seem to be added even though I removed them from the added search under the SW options menu. I really hate when software developers do not allow a way to remove a setting easily. Anyway to remove "my documents"? I reeally wish they would make it possible to use 2.6.5 it worked like a charm and 3.01 is giving me nothing but junk! I also wish that they would make it possible to use the deskbar option. I do use it besides solidworks for things like excel and pdfs.
                      Paul Lemke
                      Do any of the Solidworks employees look at this blog? Please I need a service pack that allows 2008 to work with WDS 2.6
                        Roger Grounds
                        After loading SW2008 I lose MS search. If I click on search with a windows explorer or I click on search from the start bar, I get a window that is blank (a window appears, but the side bar that normally shows the search box and advanced search, etc. is empty). Also, whenever I boot the machine, I get an error message window that reads: " The proceedure entry point WNetEnumCachedPasswords could not be located in the dynamic link library MPR.dll"

I am running Windows XP (32 bit)

I seem to recall that this happened some years ago and that it was something to do with the SW search utility.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this message and had similar problems.

Roger Grounds