4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 9:56 AM by Phillip Mobley

Unable to thicken surface error!

Phillip Mobley

Hello everyone,

I am very new to modelling with surfaces and I apologize if this has been greatly discussed before. But i am having a hard time diagnosing the problem.

The issue is is that when I go to thicken my surface model, I get the dreaded error of unable to thicken the surface. When I go and thicken each surface individually, there is an extruded surface that is causing the issue (it is labeled as surface-extrude8). I would find a way to thicken this individually; however, this surface needs to be knit with the other surfaces in order to perform a filled surface operation successfully.

I have been staring at this guy for hours and I could use an extra pair of eyes.

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated

• Re: Unable to thicken surface error!
          Phillip Mobley

For those wondering, I am using solidworks 2013

• Re: Unable to thicken surface error!
              Mike Price

Hi Phillip,

Each surfacing problem is usually unique as the surfaces are.  However, there are a couple things to keep in mind when thickening.

You'll notice that I created a zero offset of the surface you have labeled surface-extrude8 and then thickened it (alternatively I could have rolled back your model and created it there too, which I actually did) without any issues

So your issue isn't with that surface, but if you look above, if you turn on Curvature, you can see those red wrinkles.  You can actually see those in the surface without showing Curvature, but Curvature help you out.  You will never be able to thicken those surfaces as your radii of curvature is too tight

If you smooth those surfaces out, you will be able to start thickening.  Remember, Solidworks will have to at least be able to offset the surface to perform a thicken.  You can see that you couldn't offset this surface.  I noticed that you set your boundary surface to curvature to face and also you have been playing with the angle and the tangent length.

If you leave the angle and tangent length alone and use "Tangency to Face" instead, you can get smooth transitions that you will then be able to thicken

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

And just my two cents, but always start off with a lofted surface before you move to a boundary.  They are inherently more stable for whatever reason.  If you need more control, move to a boundary.  However, I only see stability issues with boundary surfaces on very complex 500+ feature surface projects, so maybe you won't have to worry about that....