43 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2018 9:51 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Spin Increment

Rick Becker

Can someone please tell me why I can't set the Spin Increment to 0 (zero)?

Why is the minimum 0.00000394?

Is 0 (zero) not a number?

Common sense is just not that common!

Rick Becker

• Re: Spin Increment
          Deepak Gupta

If you set it to 0 then there is no meaning of spin.

Steve Calvert

It needs some kind of number to calculate the increment in which it moves.  Zero, while being a number, cannot be used where a calculation is used.

I'm not exactly sure I understand what's the problem.  You put in a sketch circle and the movement of your finger causes the dim to change.  Is this correct?

Steve C

Rick Becker

Steve,

Correct.

sketch circle>Smart Dimension circle> double click on dimension (to type the size you need)>type the size you desire>spin wheel (on your mouse).

How many decimal places does SW use? Hopefully 14, in which case I would like to set the spin increment to 0.00000000000001

This still isn't precise (if I accidentally hit the wheel), but certainly better than 0.00000394

Pray tell, why isn't the minimum number currently 0.00000001? Why 394 times greater than that?

Thanks for listening.

Rick

Steve Calvert

Ok, so this is what I see in SW2015 (not sure what version you're in).  I can add the dim after the circle is sketched, type in desired dimension value, hit enter or click the green check mark.  I guess I'm still not sure I understand the problem.  Are you using the spin wheel to change dimension values?

Steve C

Rick Becker

"Are you using the spin wheel to change dimension values?"

Steve,

Not on purpose.

draw a circle.

Dimension the circle.

Double click on the dimension text to get a box that allows you to type a value for the dimension

Accidentally spin the wheel.

Does anyone actually use the spin increment???

Thanks.

Rick

Steve Calvert

I'm in the middle of rebuilding.

Yes, when a value box is highlighted, the increment wheel will change that value.  However, I still don't understand why you've done it that way.  Just enter the number and hit the enter key or click the green check mark.

Steve C

Steve Calvert

If I turn on the "Enable on screen numeric input on entity creation" I can still enter the number i want.  AND if I select the "Create dimension only when value is entered" i can still enter the desired number and hit enter.

Rick Becker

Steve,

Can I please have an OFF button?

Now I need to figure out how to "vote for SPR #:881285".

This seems easy enough to implement. If this has already been requested why hasn't it just been fixed?

Thanks.

Rick

Deepak Gupta

Rick Becker wrote:

Now I need to figure out how to "vote for SPR #:881285".

Go to this link SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base and type 881285

Here is the post showing various ways to vote correct way(s) to "Vote" for SPR - SW confirm?

Rick Becker

Deepak,

You are a Saint for responding to just about everything is accurate information.

This "vote for SPR" demonstrates just how F%$#~ed Dassault really is.

First off I looked for the 881285 SPR and could not find it. I used the search at the top of the page and nothing.

I needed Deepak's help just to know where to search. I needed to use the super secret knowledge base search box because it's different from all the other search boxes?

OK...

I finally get to this SPR page and look for a VOTE button or at least a "I have this problem also" button. Nothing of the like there.

So...

I needed to visit a forum page that describes if I select the radio button for "...notify me when fixed..." I am actually super secretly voting for an enhancement, but wait I may want to vote a different way?

Then...

I can't vote because something is broken?

Why o why is this so convoluted?

If the system is to "vote" for changes why is there no vote button or vote page?

Why doesn't the main search box find an SPR?

Why? Why? Why?

Steve Calvert

So Rick.  I tried and tried to get myself to make the increment move with the wheel.  I could not.  My working knowledge of this CAD package and three others won't allow me to.  I guess I learn a method in which a small mistake doesn't make the dimension change.

Steve C

Rick Becker

Steve,

I have attached a screen recording showing the behavior.

My fingers brush against the wheel often, usually to no detriment, but sometimes to great harm (if I don't catch it).

I'll ask again. Does anyone actually use the spin increment?

I hope you see what is happening Steve.

Rick

Steve Calvert

OK, yes, I do see what you're talking about but I guess I have to ask.  Why?  Why use the little wheel to make thing bigger or smaller?  Just place the circle and then drag it to change its size.  I don't touch the little wheel (or the mouse wheel for that matter) to adjust size.

Remember, as long as the input portion for a dimension is highlighted, a wheel will/can change it.

Steve C

Zac Evans

If you move the mouse so it's not hovering over the dimension input window the middle mouse scroll won't do anything except zoom in on the window. You moved the mouse right to the edge of the window anyway, just move it another quarter inch and you're set. I know it's not a permanent fix like you want, but it will prevent unwanted "spinning".

Rick Becker

Zac,

I soooooo wish you were correct.

See attached. Moving outside of the box does not prevent the dreaded action...

Thanks for trying.

Rick

Deepak Gupta

It doesn't necessarily the SPIN is increasing/decreasing the dimension but the up and down keys also (and this is correct behavior).

Rick Becker

Deepak,

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but, do you know of anyone who uses the Spin Increment (either wheel or up/dwn keys) to change the value in a size dialog box?

I assert that this is a "feature" that is not only not needed, but has the potential to do harm. It should be disabled and removed at the earliest possible moment, or, at the very least, an on/off switch needs to be added.

Thanks for listening.

Rick Becker

Steve Calvert

Rick, I've been here for years and you're the only person I've ever heard complain about it.  Once the wheel and the wheel mouse came along and we had the ability to use it the way you're using it, no one I can remember has complained.

I'd really suggest you learn a different way...

Steve C

Deepak Gupta

I use it along with Instant3d and not there is Instant2d to get and see the updates. I use it when I need to increment value up and down while I don't know what size would fit. Si instead of typing, I use the up down or spin.

Zac Evans

For some reason it's different whether you're in a drawing doing that or in a part editing a sketch. If you're in a part and move the mouse out it doesn't spin... I can't figure out why they would have it like that in a part, but not in a drawing...

Rick Becker

Just another example of inconsistent UI behavior in SolidWorks.

SW is riddled with inconsistencies and cryptic nonsensical error messages.

I would love to see the next major release (2017) contain absolutely no new features.

Just give us a bug fixes and a renewed/repaired UI.

Just my 2-cents worth...

Neville Williams

Rick Becker wrote:

SW is riddled with inconsistencies and cryptic nonsensical error messages.

I would love to see the next major release (2017) contain absolutely no new features.

Just give us a bug fixes and a renewed/repaired UI.

Amen to that Rick.

This program needs to be cleaned out with the myriad inconsistent behaviour that is littered throughout.

With all these inconsistencies the program is looking like a patched and bodged up piece of hacker programming... my 2c!

I have to pay subscription and I really wonder what I get for this.

Nathan Rollins

Well, Rick...  I am hesitant to respond to you.  I get that you are frustrated and angry, and I don't want to be the recipient of any flames.  But, I stumbled on this thread because I recently installed and started using 2018.  My spin increment is not working and I cannot live without it.  I am searching on how to fix it.

I use it all the time - in fact, I bet I use it on EVERY sketch I create.  My increment is set to .010" and .25 mm - if I need something finer, I ALT-Scroll to increment by 0.001" and .025mm (10X resolution)

Your ranting made me consider why I like it so much and I guess for two reasons.

1- I would rather not take my hands of the mouse and spaceball.  I do use keyboard shortcuts and I do type stuff (obviously) but things go faster when I can keep my hands off the keyboard.  My mouse has the three buttons and scroll, plus CTRL, SHFT, ALT, ESC, and ENTER.

2- for visual adjustment - lining up things without creating unwanted references.

Rick Becker

Nathan Rollins wrote:

... I get that you are frustrated and angry, and I don't want to be the recipient of any flames...

I have adapted. Time heals all wounds and I'm not even remotely angry and just a tad bit frustrated at times.

I don't believe I have ever flamed anyone on these forums. Everyone deserves at least a modicum of respect and if one is honest and forthright in their opinions, they deserve full and honest respect.

Nathan Rollins wrote:

... My spin increment is not working and I cannot live without it. I am searching on how to fix it...

I have SW2018 SP2.0 loaded and I just checked and the spin increment is working. Make sure your cursor is inside of the dialog box with the input field you are trying to increment.

It sounds like it could be a bad registry line. If it is I would love to know which one it is so I could disable my spin increment.

Nathan, have a great day.

Nathan Rollins

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your input - I did figure out that the cursor needs to be over the input field in order for scroll to work.  It used to be that the dialog needed to be active and you could scroll/increment with the cursor hovering anywhere over the dialog, but they've changed that to a smaller target of just the input field - maybe that is a compromise that will work for both of us???  For me, I will just need to develop the muscle memory of putting the cursor in the right spot and for you, move the mouse slightly before grabbing it so you don't bump the wheel...

I think that 2018 has some great enhancements, but it is not as stable with the graphics - pushing dialogs to the rear that cannot be found and seeming to freeze - So often people here on the forum wish and plead for a major release that ignores marketing and focuses solely on bug fixes. I guess that just doesn't sell seats like they want.

-Nate

Rick Becker

Nathan Rollins wrote:

...maybe that is a compromise that will work for both of us???... F

Yes. It just may do the trick.

Nathan Rollins wrote:

...I think that 2018 has some great enhancements, but it is not as stable with the graphics - pushing dialogs to the rear that cannot be found and seeming to freeze...

I'm seeing just the opposite. 2018 is Much more stable than 2017. Based on what you said I'm going to ask if you have checked to see if your graphics card (& driver version) is tested and approved for 2018. For some cards the driver is different between versions. Please check.

Nathan Rollins wrote:

...So often people here on the forum wish and plead for a major release that ignores marketing and focuses solely on bug fixes. I guess that just doesn't sell seats like they want

Dennis Dohogne and I are the chief architects of the ONE and TWO movement.

I can personally assure you the SolidWorks is and has listened to us and positively reacted by specifically attacking and fixing a plethora of the bugs and inconsistencies in 2018. Please check that you have SP 2.0. (BTW SW had a banner year in sales last year).

Nathan Rollins

Thanks again - I am happy to hear of the positive review for 2018.  I will dig in and fix the things as I am able...  It could be that Windows is the culprit.  I am getting "folder in use" errors when trying to rename and move things in Win explorer.  Stupid stuff that is annoying and hard to track down.  So, I guess I am too quick to blame SWX.

Dennis Dohogne

Nathan,

Just to follow-up on what Rick said, you might be pleased to read these:

Follow-up to Top Ten and ONE and TWO from SWW2018

Trip Report to SW Headquarters Representing ONE and TWO - 11/15/17

and the originating post: ONE and TWO

The participants of this forum have been very good about expressing the things that need to be fixed in SWX.  But the really good news is that the folks on the software development side are actually doing a good great job of listening.  It is easy to be frustrated at calling them out about a problem and not seeing any changes for quite awhile.  Trust me, the better you describe the problem and report it (including pushing your VAR to send it to SWX) the more likely it will get some attention at SWX.  As far as timing goes, even if they have something that appears to us to be a simple fix it has to go through an incredible testing protocol before it can be implemented in a Service Pack.  Even with that protocol we have seen problems slip through in a "fix" not being complete, or in it causing a different problem.  This has actually caused changes to their testing to do a better job of catching such issues, but that can also add to the time before it gets implemented.

Rick and I have met these guys and came away quite impressed with them personally and with regard to their commitment, capability, and integrity toward making this an even better product.

When you've got a real problem, push it through with your VAR and then tell us about it on the forum as well.