Tom Stian Harestad

Problems with unattended deployment of SolidWorks 2007 SP4 x64 Edition

Discussion created by Tom Stian Harestad on Dec 6, 2007
Hi everyone.

I work in the IT Department of a major company, and I'm working onan automatic deployment of SolidWorks 2007 SP4 x64 Edition, with aplug in called VarBox 7.0 from DPS. I'm experiencing a frustratingerror, which I hope I can get some help with.

Actually, SolidWorks is working like a charm, including the VarBoxpackage. However, after I exit SolidWorks I get the following error(Also attached screenshots):
.NET-BroadcastEventWindow.2.0.0.0.33c0d9d:SLDWORKS.EXE - Application Error
The instruction at "0x77ef6554" referenced memory at"0x2f843138". The memory could not be"read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

or:

SldWorks
SldWorks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorryfor the inconvenience.

If you where in the middle of something, the information you wereworking on might have been lost.

This only happens if I have added a part from the VarBox databaseinto the model. If I just browse the VarBox database and exitwithout adding anything into the database, nothing happens when Igo out of Solidworks.

This also appears under Application in the Event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Date: 06.12.2007
Time: 12:35:01
User: N/A
Computer: computername
Description:.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.42 - Fatal ExecutionEngine Error (000006427F886338) (80131506)

First of all, the OS we are using is Windows XP Professional x64Edition with SP2, and with the following components installed (.NET1.1 Framework, .NET 2.0 Framework x64). The problem exist on anyhardware configuration I use, including VMWare. I've also triedanything from 256MB RAM to 8GB of RAM, so the hardware is not anissue.

We are going to deploy SolidWorks by using Microsoft SMS. Thecommand using for installing SolidWorks is:
msiexec /iEnglish_i386_SolidWorks.msi /QB-! TRANSFORMS=filename.mst /L*Vlogfilename.log

Because this type of installation (without a GUI) will not installthe Visual C++ runtimes included on the SolidWorks DVD, I'vecreated two independent SMS-packages with these runtimes, which arebeing installed as prerequisites by the SMS system.

However, when I skip the /QB-! arguments, it is working! But ourpolicy is that all software installations should be 100%unattended, I need to use the /QB argument, so that only a smallprogress bar is showing during the installation.

Anyone with any ideas? For me it seems like something which happensduring the GUI-part of the MSI-file is very important... Mostlikely in the MSI-table InstallUISequence. But I cant figureout what it is!! :'(

Attachments

Outcomes