9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 2:18 PM by Roy Dean

Possible to have displacement results WITHOUT colors?

Roy Dean

I need to make an animation for the big wigs....   They don't want to see stresses or displacements displayed as color changes, they just want to see the parts move and flex.   Anyway to "turn off" the color fringes?

I know this is pointless from an engineering perspective, but it's just for show-n-tell....

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Possible to have displacement results WITHOUT colors?
          Jay Hagan

Is this what you are looking for?

Jay

Roy Dean

Jay, I SOOOO wanted that to be the answer (and how did I miss it????), however.....

When I select that option, my entire model turns orange!   I want to just see the assigned colors associated with the appearances I've defined in my models, and it appears that clicking that box doesn't do that.  

James Riddell

You can set the color(s) under the Chart Options tab > Color Options but I don't think you can opt for no color at all much less the part colors.

Keith Frankie

Jay Hagan 's advice worked perfectly for me on two different computers with SW 2012 and SW 2016.   Post an example part where it's not working....

Roy Dean

The parts are shown as orange.   SW2015.    If I get time later today, I'll try a dummy part (I cannot post the actual part file, as it is part of a new product development project, and hence considered a trade secret).

Roy Dean

Ok, see attached model. (two simple sims, one 2D and one 3D)

The first observation from this is the orange color I'm getting comes from using 2D simplification.   I tried the same exact basic simulation in 3D and when you turn colors off, you do NOT get orange colors.   What you DO get, however, is the fixed color of the material used (I'm assuming that's where the color comes from).   It doesn't "inherit" the green color that I want.

So, perhaps switching "show colors" off DOES work, but only for the default color of the material?   I haven't bothered attempting to change that as I'd rather not have to.   And regardless of if that works or not, my actually model (not this simplified one) MUST be run in 2D due to its complexity - so what I really need to figure out first is how to get rid of the orange.

Keith Frankie

Interesting.

The orange color is the      simulation -> options -> general -> mesh colors -> shell bottom face color

It doesn't look like there is a way to turn it off.

In the 2D study the "front" of the mesh (the other side of the shell) retains the part color you've applied.  Could you just show that side of the results plot in your animation?  You can flip which side is "front" by showing the mesh, selecting the face, right clicking on the "mesh" in the tree and selecting "flip shell elements".  Rerun the study and you should be good to go.

I see you can't display the displacement results plot in 3D (under definition -> advanced) if you don't show the color.

For the standard 3D study (without 2D simplification) it looks like SW overrides the part color with the material color.  There are two ways to get around this.

1) Copy on of the material library materials and in this copy clear the "apply appearance of" check box in the material's "appearance" tab.

2) Instead of applying your light green color at the part level apply it to the body in question.  This will be at a higher level in the appearance hierarchy and will override the part level appearance from the simulation.

Roy Dean

Keith,   good suggestions!

Using the backside of the 2D plot is perfectly acceptable, however when I tried on my real model (which is a multibody simulation), I get only a single color (and I want each body to have a separate color).   I have not tried tinkering with this, however....  so it still may work with some playing around.

As for the 3D, I can't get your #2 to work.   Even in my simple little cantilevered beam model.   However, like I said earlier, I need the 2D solution anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, though...  I'll play around a little with your 2D solution to see if I can get multiple colors.