5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 9:13 AM by Jim Steinmeyer

Simulation with weldment and sheet metal

Jim Steinmeyer

I have been asked to come up with load ratings for some existing storage racks we have in the plant. Since the racks are made of existing scrap structural material I thought this would be a good chance for me to learn how to use weldments. For some reason I am having trouble getting the sheetmetal shelves to bond to the weldment frame. I have the global contacts set to touching surfaces bonded but the sheets seem to not be attached. What am I missing?

With the weldments- In crating a 3D sketch for the frame I would like to be able to place the horizontal angles inside the uprights. Do I need to create additional lines in the sketch to place them inside? If so how do you get the sketch to update properly if you change the size of the angle iron? does that have to be manually done?

Thank you for your assistance.

Capture.PNG

• Re: Simulation with weldment and sheet metal
          Jim Steinmeyer

Ok, a co-worker showed me how to take care of the first problem by selecting "Treat as Solid" on the sheetmetal parts. Now my weldment is not showing? What next?

Capture.PNG

Emilio Janssen

Right click at result - Definition

Change to beam

My is in portuguese, but you can have a perception.

Jim Steinmeyer

Thank you.

I had gone ahead and changed the beam elements to be treated as solids and run the analysis again getting the full display. But by running the beam elements as solids took much more time (30 min as opposed to 5). Being able to run beam elements and see the results will speed things up.

Keith Frankie

Emilio's recommendation is off base; altering result plot options has no effect on shell to beam bonding.  Reverting to solids sometimes is a good way to start from basics; in this case solid bonding works better and at least your study runs.

Shell to Beam bonding can take a little more work to setup then other types of bonding.  SW does a good job automatically bonding the face of a shell to the sides of a beam, but bonding to the edge of the shell needs to be setup manually.

You should start small and work your way up.  Take a look at the attached assembly as an example.

First just get beam to shell bonding to work.  A fixed beam with a touching shell experiencing a gravity load will fail because the automatic bonding isn't working on the shell edge.  To remedy this add a manual bonded contact set.

Once this works move on to your assembly.  Start with only one shelf and make sure that it bonds properly.  Manually up the deformation scale on your stress plot to make sure the shelf is being restrained where you expect it to.

While you're working on getting the setup right you can use a really coarse mesh.  A nonlinear study like this should run completely in just a few seconds.  Fast run time means you can iterate your setup much faster and more efficiently.

Once you've done one shelf you can add them all in.  Once that runs in a static study you can drag and drop everything to a nonlinear study where you can appropriately account for membrane strength.

Jim Steinmeyer

Keith,

Thank you for your information. What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I used to use Algor back when everything was much more manual and am just getting my feet wet with Simulation. I liked the control of manually creating connections better due to the more control, but this is much faster. I will break it down and use your file to get me started on a smaller level first. Looks like it's hand calcs for a while first.