4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 9:37 AM by Artem Taturevych

Scanto3D API GetMeshCount

Alan Thomason

Hello All...

Thanks to this forum I am making progress.  I am trying to use the example below...

2016 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Get Mesh Data Example (VBA)

You must link to the reference for SW scan data as indicated below (Thanks Artem)

But the points count that is shown is zero.  In case you are wondering, my goal is not to scan plastic toy trees, but the scans I work with are over 80Mbytes, so I found this example that is a bit more transportable.

• Re: Scanto3D API GetMeshCount
          Alan Thomason

Any help would be appreciated.

Artem Taturevych

Hi Alan,

I believe you are running this macro on the imported points cloud. The methods in the example return the data from the mesh (not points). So if you construct the mesh based on the points that this macro returns the correct result. Please see the snapshot below:

Thanks,

Artem

Alan Thomason

Thanks so much Artem....

You've solve my problem, but what a shame that you have to convert to a mesh first.  I shared a super simple point cloud because otherwise there is no way to transport what I actually work with, which are scans of machined castings with sizes of up to 80Mbytes.  When I try to create a mesh, the process takes a very long time, often does not work due to topographical errors that otherwise would not affect me, and produces a result that is not useful to me.  Point clouds are nice and light for scans, you can see through them, and better represent what the scanning process actually is.

SolidWorks staff...is there anyway to transport this API functionality to a point cloud?

Artem Taturevych

Hi Alan,

The xyz format is in ASCII format (you can open it in notepad and can see that it just coordinates per line). So depending on your task you might read it yourself line-by-line and do the work. I believe you might want to remove the 'noise' to make the file smaller so you can do this within the text file and then import to SolidWorks for meshing.

Thanks,

Artem