8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 8:30 AM by Antonio Cavka

SW 2016 PDM STANDARD

Antonio Cavka

Hi,

I started to work in SW PDM STANDARD,i found many things on internet but most things are about what PDM is and how it works. Has samone videos or free books how to start to work with parts and drawings in PDM(how to display revision number in drawing,what i need to define before creating parts and those things).

Nice day

• Re: SW 2016 PDM STANDARD
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hello Antonio, I don't have PDM Standard, but in the PDM Administration Tool, is there a Administration Guide available? Click Help, Administration Guide.

Also generally there is a Getting Started guide under Start, All Programs, SOLIDWORKS PDM, Documentation, Getting Started

Antonio Cavka

Yeah,i found all that. i give it a tray.

Antonio Cavka

Hi

I start to read, but i do not have PDM home and can not test all things.

I can not get how to fill revision in properties and  how to link them with drawing(i created a data card and they are displayed there but could not link it to my drawing...)

Can u help me there? Need i to do something special to revision to display in properties or drawing ?

Dan Hon

Antonio,

I am assuming you have a "Revision"(or similar named) variable that you have linked to your drawing data card:

If so, in the properties of this variable, ensure there is an added Custom Properties attribute applied to .slddrw files.  (Basically, this tells Solidworks that custom property variable "Revision" must equal the data card value).  When this is done, the face of drawing can refer to  this custom property, thus PDM drives the drawing.

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Antonio, Dan is correct. You need to have your data card configured to read and write to custom properties from SolidWorks file. For example, this is how the Revision variable is configured on my SOLIDWORKS datacard in my vault:

The key thing there is to add an attribute that is linked to the CustomProperty block; the name of the attribute needs to be EXACTLY the same as the name of your custom property in your SolidWorks file (part, drawing or assembly)

Then when you add a file with custom properties into the PDM vault, PDM will read the properties from the file and display them on the datacard.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Prasad

Antonio Cavka

Hi all, and ty to all

I found out that my revision variable was not a variable it was linked to last revision number and not to a variable that i had created.

that´is why i cud not display revision how i wanted.