3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 11:11 AM by Amit Katz

How to view Flow Trajectories in Y plane

Marcelo Arguello

Hi, i run a flow simulation over an airfoil,

The airfoil is build extruding  a naca curve from txt.

When add the flow trajectories there is no way to configure the

orientation of the flow trajectories.I get the trajectories under the body(see picture).

Alway get in the Z plane(horizontal). But don can configure the Y position of the plane

How to configure the position of the Z plane respect to the wind box(computational domain)

Also I want in the Y plane,(vertical) at given Z position.

There any way to see a square of flow trajectories?

flow sim.jpg

Greetings

• Re: How to view Flow Trajectories in Y plane
          Amit Katz

I don't exactly understand what you mean, but instead of trajectories you can use cut plots to show flow vectors. You can set a base plane and then choose whatever offset you want for the cut plot to get any slice of the domain that you like, using cut plots.

Marcelo Arguello

Thanks for the reply, i will try the cut plot.

However I am following this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZzsfWHRfPQ

And it show the flow trajectories in vertical align in the center of the z axis.(without cut plots)

See the tutorial picture.

flow sim2.jpg

But I have the flow trajectories in horizontal arrange, and all passing under the foil(see my first picture).

And don´t find how to configure it.

Greetings

Amit Katz

That tutorial is not very good, in my opinion. The presenter makes a lot of mistakes. His flow domain is tiny, he never even checks his mesh before running the simulation - it's a case of somebody who knows "just enough to be dangerous". I do not recommend following that tutorial.

As for your original question, there are a few ways of setting the origin of your trajectories:

1. Create a 'dummy volume' that is not included in the simulation geometry, and pick one of its faces to create equally spaced trajectory origins.

2. Manually set your origin by clicking on the screen

Check the options in the flow trajectory tools to get more info.